Mark's PH18 in Toronto

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Mark's PH18 in Toronto

Post by Cracker Larry »

I've installed 4 of them and on all 4 the inside plate was just about even with the transom lip, with the top mounting holes 2" below the lip. I've never used the brand he is using though :doh:

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

stickystuff wrote:I may be wrong but If it were mine I would have mounted the jack plate flush with top of transom.This will allow you to get the full lift out of the jack plate.Any one else? Feel free to jump in on this. Most all I have seen and installed were flush with top as I said. ????? :doh: :doh: :doh:
?? Stick around and you will see another one shortly. If I mounted my jacking plate level with the top of my transom I would need a different propellor - a BIG one like an air boat because it would be well out of the water!!! :lol:

I would have thought the position of the jacking plate is more a function of where the prop will position in relation to the water with the jacking plate at it highest position, and also the height of the motor leg.

I actually think I may have to cut my transom down further to allow the motor to go down to its lowest position without interfering with the hydraulic steering ram.

PS: What a sweet looking boat - congratulations!

jorgepease
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jorgepease »

Boat looks great. That console is amazing

Jack plate mounted that low may mean you are going to have to pay extra attention to how much you can tilt motor. Mine is mounted at transom height and it still hits if I go to far while all the way down.

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cvincent »

Your boat fit and finish is fantastic! I am looking forward to seeing pictures of it on the water.
Completed D15, Completed PH18

Dustinwg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dustinwg »

Mark, boat looks great!! Those consoles and all the deck storage blows me away!!

Did you weigh the boat while it was on the crane?

I'm planning on sending mine out for paint by a pro also, if you don't me asking, what did the paint job set you back? I think I have an idea how bad it's going to hurt, but just wanted to hear from someone that has been there with a similar boat.

Also what size motor are you planning on?

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Thanks everyone.

Jack plate: this is mounted so that on te full down position, the cavitation plate is level with the bottom of the hull, so the entire apparatus is actually as high as it can go. But that having been said, now I need to double check and make sure the shop did in fact do this!

Weight: she is a beast, foam core is NOT lighter, 70 gallons of resin alone, she came out at about 1200 pounds, so she is a tank, not a skiff.

Paint: Awlgrip and primer was about $800, labour another $1600. Not cheap but they did a proffessional job. Of course all of this would be much less in the U.S.

Splash is coming soon...
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Oops missed a question; I have an Evinrude 115 Ficht that was new on my last rebuild project. I believe it is the same motor as BarraMan's. Runs like a top, sips gas, barely uses any oil. I hope to pay opff what I have spent so far and with the weight to get the zippy performance I like I'll need a 150HO. Evindude G2's should be out in 150's this year or next...

I still have to do Kiwi grip, figure out why my fuel gauge only reads 1/4 when she is now full, do some more wiring, put in some hatch struts, bunch of other little stuff then we will be fishing !

Dustinwg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dustinwg »

Wow, I would have figure it would have been lighter, but I guess all of the infusion you had to do soaked up a lot of resin and all of the decking and consoles added up, but man it looks great!

On the paint, that actually makes me feel pretty good, as I was prepping myself for nearly double that. Did they paint inside all of your hatches also?

I bet that thing is going to fly with a 150 on it! Can't wait to see her done!

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Thanks Dustin. They did the outside of the hatches, but I did all the insides with bilge paint. I still have to do the underside of the hatches but that can wait.

Hopefully in the next weekend or two I can get the Kiwi grip done, I have no idea how long that will take as I have never done it but it looks simple enough.

I managed to keep resin to cloth ratios good through squeegieing but the layup schedule is hefty - transom and stringers are 4 layers, all 12 oz, with two of them having chop.

TTYL

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

MarkOrge wrote:Oops missed a question; I have an Evinrude 115 Ficht that was new on my last rebuild project. I believe it is the same motor as BarraMan's. Runs like a top, sips gas, barely uses any oil. I hope to pay opff what I have spent so far and with the weight to get the zippy performance I like I'll need a 150HO. Evindude G2's should be out in 150's this year or next...
I still have to do Kiwi grip, figure out why my fuel gauge only reads 1/4 when she is now full, do some more wiring, put in some hatch struts, bunch of other little stuff then we will be fishing !
Nope! There is a 250 hp Yammie Vmav SHO 4-stroke waiting to get bolted onto my boat.