Mark's PH18 in Toronto

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Mark's PH18 in Toronto

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Hi Mark,

Quick question. Do you feel the 115 is enough power? My PH is almost 20 feet long. I lengthened if forward of bulkhead B.

Thanks for your input.

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Sorry for the delay Casey, just saw this, must have missed it in my trolling ...

If you want to cruise she is fine. If you want to fly on calm mornings / blast off at bass tournaments no. Mine tops out just below 40 MPH trimmed and jacked with 13 pitch 4 blade stainless Evinrude prop. I could possibly get a little more going to 15 pitch but I like the hole shot and pulling power vs top end as I also pull tubes with a full boat.

What is odd, but no surprise to me, is a V6 G2 250HO actually gets lightly better mileage (at cruise only) than the G1 115 V4. Just look up the performance reports on the Evinrude site. So the second finances allow, I am going with a min 200HO G2. They are not even breaking a sweat at cruise speed so just sip gas and if you want to scream and fly on those glass calm mornings (and burn 3X the gas) you have the option. Just my outlook on life. To use another anology, who buys a 250 HP V6 Corvette? It would "cruise" the same as the 550HP model but then if that is all you want to do why are you buying a sports car?

Assuming we drive responsibly, I am a firm believer there is no such thing as too much horsepower given the same weight. Tangles & Snags is not a light boat with the extra resin and cloth I needed for foam core, but she is bullet proof and with the layup schedule Jaques provided and in his words I can hang anything I want so, why not have the ponies for Saturday morning when I want to have some fun. Once the lake is rough and choppy I just slow down. Like Lake Erie last fall... beautiful day and calm launching on the upper Niagara, but once out on the lake you could barely plane. At least if you wanted to stay safe and not bang the hell out of your back and the boat.

Sorry for the quasi rant and wandering but wanted to give yo a full answer.

Stay tuned for updated pictures with new G2....
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

MarkOrge wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:52 pm Sorry for the delay Casey, just saw this, must have missed it in my trolling ...

If you want to cruise she is fine. If you want to fly on calm mornings / blast off at bass tournaments no. Mine tops out just below 40 MPH trimmed and jacked with 13 pitch 4 blade stainless Evinrude prop. I could possibly get a little more going to 15 pitch but I like the hole shot and pulling power vs top end as I also pull tubes with a full boat.

What is odd, but no surprise to me, is a V6 G2 250HO actually gets lightly better mileage (at cruise only) than the G1 115 V4. Just look up the performance reports on the Evinrude site. So the second finances allow, I am going with a min 200HO G2. They are not even breaking a sweat at cruise speed so just sip gas and if you want to scream and fly on those glass calm mornings (and burn 3X the gas) you have the option. Just my outlook on life. To use another anology, who buys a 250 HP V6 Corvette? It would "cruise" the same as the 550HP model but then if that is all you want to do why are you buying a sports car?

Assuming we drive responsibly, I am a firm believer there is no such thing as too much horsepower given the same weight. Tangles & Snags is not a light boat with the extra resin and cloth I needed for foam core, but she is bullet proof and with the layup schedule Jaques provided and in his words I can hang anything I want so, why not have the ponies for Saturday morning when I want to have some fun. Once the lake is rough and choppy I just slow down. Like Lake Erie last fall... beautiful day and calm launching on the upper Niagara, but once out on the lake you could barely plane. At least if you wanted to stay safe and not bang the hell out of your back and the boat.

Sorry for the quasi rant and wandering but wanted to give yo a full answer.

Stay tuned for updated pictures with new G2....
Ok great feedback. Very helpful.

I wonder how much heavier, or lighter, the wood version is. I assume maybe a bit heavier?

Thanks!

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Accidental post... but wont let me delete.

Casey
Last edited by flyfishingmonk on Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

MarkOrge wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:56 pm Got a little work done late fall that I forgot to update y'all on before starting the crazy hours that are slowly settling doen.....

Fire extinguisher is mounted in the front center hatch (very accessible) in the section adjacent to the anchor/fender well. not sure if that makes sense.. :doh:

Where did you get that cool looking mount?

Casey

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Hi Casey saw this and want to follow up on the motors. The smallest G2 150 HO is less that 100lbs more than the G1 115 HO you are thinking of and you have added weight on the bow. So I would not be afraid of going with it as Mark says. While I don't think you need the power he suggests a little extra is not bad. The G2's are more efficient and totally a better motor than the G1's. Just something for you to think about.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Hi Casey. I got the mount and most all of my bling from Eddie Marine.

For weight, Jaques mentioned the foam core may actually be a little heavier due to the additional glass required. Bone empty not even hatch covers I was exactly 2000 pounds including the trailer, not sure what the trailer weighs. I want to weigh mine one of these days. What really adds up too is all the batteries, Talon, Talon mount, jackplate, tackle, etc. It turns out the 15 pitch Evinrude 4 blade Rogue runs well. I actually use a 13 pitch so it doesnt have to work as hard, and I only rev out when empty and light. Those Fichts don't like to be lugged, they like to run. I still have to get the batteries moved up to balance her out - tail heavy as you can see from an earlier post.

Loving all your wood work by the way, your build is a work of craftsmanship.

I am already pushing away thoughts of building again - go for the 22 ! The front deck would be palatial.... maybe in a few years when work slows down / semi retirement....

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Update on weight and balance - moved my three group 31's up to what was the anchor and fender locker and it worked out perfect. See picture below from the long weekend up on Georgian Bay. I think the smallmouth bass like it better too! I can tell the difference in ride and no more porpoising when I trim it up for speed. The water is a little wavy from passing boat traffic but she sits perfectly level when measuring the rub rail to the water line.

The question, possibly for Jaques - now that she is level, are we able to determine the weight of the boat fully loaded by measuring the draft at the transom?