Mark's PH18 in Toronto

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Mark's PH18 in Toronto

Post by TomW1 »

Mark I was hoping I could help you but the PPI is not listed in the study plans. You will have to wait for Jacques to answer this. At a rough guess I would think the extra 140lbs would lower your draft about 1/3-1/2".

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Thanks Tom. What would be wiser and would add less than 40 pounds would be stick with Etec G1. I'll have to decide. The current 115 Ficht is 384 lbs and upgrading to the 150HO in G1 is 418 lbs - negligible. Unfortunately, the G2's are all over 500 pounds, even staying with a 150HO. They sure are nice tho, especially if one was to order it with the nice blue side panels.... LOL
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Mark don't give up on the G2. Look at moving some weight forward. Your center of gravity is close to the helm area. If you can move 10-15 pounds permanently forward by 8' your good. That will counter balance the 80-100lbs that the G2 weighs more than your old motor or the new G1.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

I would not hesitate and would go to a G2 over any older 2 stroke out there . But that's me .
Novi 23 finally launched !

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Thanks Guys appreciate the quick feedback. My choices are Etec 150HO (165HP) at only 418 pounds or 200HO (220HP) at 530 lbs. What I really wish I knew is how much of the 55 extra HP (and gas) will be chewed up the extra 110 pound difference?

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cvincent »

The 150 HO is a good choice for the weight. I love the options of digital controls & power steering on the G2 models. If this technology ever gets brought over to the 115 class of engines, I would jump on one of these.
Completed D15, Completed PH18

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

A nice picture from vacation last week starting out in Killarney, Ontario and moving well beyond the cell tower(s) from there. We stayed on the in-laws mainship in teh background, our Phantom tied up along side (when we weren't fishing)
Windows Photo Viewer Wallpaper.jpg

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Question around weight distribution. I think we are a little heavy in the aft. I can move my trolling motor and accessory batteries from back hatches up to the center forward hatch and that would move 180 + pounds as inicated below. Is that overkill or would it get me where I should be? All input is welcome. Not sure how to calculate from here.... Note the waterline as indicated by the big boat generator exhaust washing up against the scantling while we were tied alongside.....
Attachments
Boat weight transfer.PNG

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

And of course the new Tundra had to come with a coordinating color ....
Attachments
Tundra with boat.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Now that is a beauty!! Let Jacques respond back to you on the battery placement!! Jeff