Majorgator's XF20 - SPLASHED :)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Majorgator's XF20

Post by stickystuff »

Knowing where you will be fishing I would hit it with some 220 or 350 then roll on a couple of coats of epoxy/graphite powder mix. I live in the same area of you and know the oyster bars are tough on hull bottoms. The epoxy will seek its own level and leave you a shiny black finish. don't worry about the UV protection because its on the bottom.
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

Ken - Do you have a good source for the graphite? I did a quick glance at the online store here, but didn't see any. Does the graphite make it stronger/more durable? Thanks!

Seth
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

majorgator wrote:Ken - Do you have a good source for the graphite? I did a quick glance at the online store here, but didn't see any. Does the graphite make it stronger/more durable? Thanks!

Seth
http://boatbuildercentral.com/products.php?cat=13
Completed: FL14, OD18

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

ahhh :doh: Thank you kindly Larry! :lol:

Ken, how much should I purchase to get a good even coat along that big bottom? About how much extra epoxy do you think I'll use?

seth
See my XF20 Build Thread

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

I have not put the wooden battens on for the rub-rail yet. Though its called out on the plans, and I've heard that its considered "structural" is it really necessary if I plan on building walk-around gunwales, full decks, and a rubber rub-rail?

seth
See my XF20 Build Thread

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Yes mg the rubrails are structural on these boats. They can however with approval from the designer be replaced with an inwale of the same size. But that means cutting a notch out of each frame for the inwale so you can get the 3/4" x 1 1/2" or what ever size designated into the notch. 2nd just bring all your side decks out over the wood rubrails.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

gk108

Post by gk108 »

I wouldn't eliminate the rubrails, even with walk around gunwales. Tom's suggestion of moving that structure inboard and building it as a sheer clamp is about the best way keep the clean look on the hull sides and still provide strength. Think of worst case like hitting a dock piling midway between frames. Without a rail or sheer clamp, that force is localized and the deck/hull corner will tend to take the shape of the piling. Hit it hard enough and it will keep the shape of the piling. With a laminated frame behind that corner, forces are distributed to the frames and adjacent structure much more evenly. In other words, it is a vital element to monocoque construction. :wink:
CC, D15, V10

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

Thanks Tom. That's the info I needed. I'll go ahead and proceed with the wooden rub-rail. I wasn't suggesting that I didn't want to do it, but just wanted to make sure it was necessary. By doing the rub-rail now it will allow me to finish off the sides and paint it before I flip it. I assume that the rub-rail is just epoxy-glued to the side panels?

Now, if I could only figure out how much epoxy and graphite I need for the bottom.

Seth
See my XF20 Build Thread

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

Thanks to you too, GK. You were responding at the same time I was. Great information.

Seth
See my XF20 Build Thread

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Seth the 8oz they sell in the store should be enough graphite, mix it 2parts resin, 1part hardener, 1part graphite, for a 25% blend. Sift the graphite to get rid of any clumping. As far as epoxy you want 2-3 coats. How much did you use wetting out the cloth and go from there it won't take that near that much of course. I don't know if anyone has ever figured it out by sq ft per gallon. Maybe you can be the first and have the answer for the next guy that asks. :D

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy