Majorgator's XF20 - SPLASHED :)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Majorgator's XF20

Post by majorgator »

Curious Thoughts:
What size bow eye should I purchase?
Drain tubes appear to be 2 3/8" in length. I assume I should buy those and cut them to fit?

seth
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

First coat of S3 topcoat went on last night using a sprayer. I can't complain about the results too much, but with the temperature and humidity we're having right now, I'm going to go with roll and tip method today. As a result of the weather, the paint is not drying real fast, so there's not too many concerns about getting it "tipped" quick enough. I echo some of the comments I've seen on the forum about spraying vs. rolling: spraying may go quicker, but it takes a lot more time to clean up.

When I got up this morning, the paint was still a little tacky in some spots. The way I read the application guidelines, I'm OK to proceed with another coat based on the finger imprint test. Any thoughts on if I should wait until the paint cures a little more before proceeding? We're going to have great weather, cool and humid, this weekend, so I'd like to get it done in this timeframe.

seth
See my XF20 Build Thread

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

So I now have 2 coats of S3 Topcoat Orcas White on the bottom. I'm very pleased with the roll and tip method used this morning, and it actually took less time than spraying. The coverage is better, thicker, and just plain nicer. Of course, it is the 2nd coat, so some improvements in appearance should be expected. The weather is great right now, about 60 degrees and high humidity. The 2nd coat is nearly dry enough to put on the 3rd coat. I will apply at least 2 more coats, and I believe that I will use the crosslinker in both coats.

There were a few runs from last night's application, so I sanded those down. The runs only occurred on the bow area, so for the 2nd coat, I painted this area without thinning the product.

For nearly the entire flat area, I thinned about 20% with water. I used a 6" close-nap roller and a 3" CHEAP foam brush for the tipping.

seth
See my XF20 Build Thread

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Great Paintjob. I put on 4 total coat on mine and used the cross link polymer for the last 2 coats. She is hard as a rock now, although I am going to have to hit the sander to a few spots because I didn't protect it well enough after the flip :x :x :oops: :oops:

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Looks good from here 8) I used 4 coats of S3 on the inside of mine, every coat looked a little better.
What size bow eye should I purchase?
A big one :wink: 5/16 or 3/8 X 2"
Drain tubes appear to be 2 3/8" in length. I assume I should buy those and cut them to fit?
You can buy them in different lengths, but yes, you have to cut them to fit. Pastor Bob included a tubing cutter with the loaner flaring tool that's passing around. You cut it about 3/16 longer than the hole and flare the tube in place.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

Thanks Larry. I just ordered my tubes, so when they get here, I'll go ahead and have the flaring tool shipped to me.
Looks good from here
I definitely have some imperfections in the hull. Once all the bright white gets on there, you can see that I should have done a little better job with the fairing. Oh well, it is the bottom, and I know now how to improve for the interior.

Well, off the put the 3rd coat (1st with crosslink) on. Weather is holding tight at 60. Hopefully, it won't drop too much this evening so I can put the 4th coat on before I go to bed. :P

seth
See my XF20 Build Thread

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Seth,

I've got the drain tube flairing tool and cutter. So just shoot me an email wegcagle at gmail dot com and I'll send it to you.

Will

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

Will -
I just sent you email about the flaring tool. Go ahead and send it, and if someone else needs it before I get around to it, I'll put it in the mail. Thanks.

BTW - 3rd coat of S3 just applied, with crosslinker. Don't know why, but this coat was drying a lot quicker so I had to move much faster 8) Looks real good right now, but I can't wait to get that final coat on there in a few hours. :lol: :lol:

seth
See my XF20 Build Thread

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Got it. I will send it out to you Monday.

Will

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

The xlinker speeds the S3 LPU set time, as you have discovered. I'm pretty sure it is mentioned in the S3 app notes for the product. It can be quite a challenge at 90°F and low humidity. :lol:

Will you be putting any coats of clear on the topsides? :)