Richards gt 27

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Daddy
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Richards gt 27

Post by Daddy »

Sure, first lay the fillet, then wet out your tape, lay the tape on the wet fillet, go back and offset the next layer per the lamination plan. Of course you wont be able to do the stringers in one go, probably more than 20 feet. Just work with lengths that are comfortable, say 8 or so, lay the tape and begin another run by overlapping the last by 6 inches or so. Believe it or not I use an old wooden ironing board for my wet out bench, easy to move around, set it up inside the boat, just wrap poly film over the edges and go to it. :)
Daddy

rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by rcihard »

Daddy,
Fantastic, I didn't think about setting up the lamination board inside the hull :!: and I didnt think about smaller runs of tape, for some reason I had it in my head that they had to be full lengths :doh: (your right just over 20')
Again I am feeling much much better about this project.
Once again thanks a lot for your advice :).
Richard

Daddy

Post by Daddy »

Glad to help, one thing I forgot to mention is that if you pay attention to the left over epoxy on your wetting out table you wont have any run over the edge. I usually use the squeegee that I wetted out with to scrape the excess into the center so it will be ready for the next strip of tape. When all done if there is any left I use it for a fillet or some piece of the hull that need coating with epoxy.
Daddy

rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by rcihard »

Daddy,
You got me all inspired so I went down to the shed and modified my wet out box :!:

Turned it upside down added some side guides about 10mm higher than the box, placed an angled piece at the end to hold epoxy jug or wetted tape (any drips etc run back into the box).
Laid about 6.5 metres of tape on the d5 & used about 250mls of epoxy (still might be over saturated) it made the job a hell of a lot easier than brushing the tape directly onto the ply. Seemed to take a lot less time to work out the air bubbles etc as well.
I only added enough epoxy to wet out each tape, but I think I shall add more, squeeze it out good and tight and the larger surface area where the opxy is left should slow down the cure time (is that right?)

This is mark one of the version, have some ideas to improve the thing and hopefully make the taping process even more easier.
Again many thanks, you have made my day :)
Richard

Daddy

Post by Daddy »

Great looking rig, will save you lots of time and effort and after using a while you will know just the right amount of epoxy to use.
Daddy

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Any progress this month?

George
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by rcihard »

Hi George,
Thanks for the inquiry, took a while to extend my shed to accommodate the length of the boat, on top of that I have been a bit crook (Aussie for ill!) therefore have not progressed as I had hoped on the build.
Most of the hull is cut out, still have to glue and join sections.
To be honest I am not that keen to continue to post comments re my build on this forum, after being a member for over 4 years the quality of the posts has definitely taken a dive and some of the hypocrisy is amazing!!!
Despite that I still enjoy a vegemite sandwich and a beer occasionally.
Will continue to post pix as I am able.
Again thanks for the inquiry.
Richard

gerry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gerry »

Hi Richard,
That is a great wetout board. Will watch your progress too. Post lots of pics.
Cheers,
Gerry

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

I hope you are feeling better now and can make more progress on the boat. I understand how forums get frustrating at times as it seems they go in cycles, but I personally try to ignore the people who want to act stupid. If you are so inclined to keep posting on this build thread I will look foward to your progress as this is one of the baots I'd like to see in person or at least see real pictures of. If you choose to stay away for a while then I respect that as well and can only hope that from time to time you post a progress pic or two and especially some pics when she is splashed.

Have a great day,
George
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

Hey Richard, sometimes the climate can get to people, it'll clear up along with the weather. :)

I really want to see that barge come together so please at least keep us posted.

Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress