Hagar's OD18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
hagar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Hagar's OD18

Post by hagar »

cape man wrote:I would take it off the boat (Gently!!!) and concentrate on the area where it is wet with some warm air. That way you can also dry the boat real well.
I was thinking that also, but as I thought further, the spot is not too large and I can get it lifted in the wet area without disturbing the placement too much. I am going to lift it up and give the wife's blow dryer a workout. She went shopping, with any luck I can get it dried out and the hair dryer back in it's proper place before her return! I don't think I can get the cloth placed as well as it is now if I remove it....

Thanks to both of you for the helpful replies, that's what makes this site a wonder.

Hagar
Turning epoxy into dust, eventually leaving a boat behind....

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Any moisture in the cloth will interfere with it laminating to the boat (ask me how I know :roll: :roll: ), so even if you have to borrow the hair dryer for long enough that she busts you when she gets home, make sure it is dry.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

cape man wrote:(ask me how I know :roll: :roll: )
How do you know? :D Never mind I got a feeling I know how you know :lol:

Hager, got a question? What is angle in degrees of your transom?? :wink: Sorry guys this just bugs me :doh: :D :lol: :roll:
Completed: FL14, OD18

hagar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by hagar »

Got away with borrowing the cloth demoisturing device without incident. Set it in it's special hands fee directional base and left it running while I went to secure some of those plastic spreaders at the local auto parts place. It was still blowing hot when I got back so I don't think I trashed it.

The cloth is on and I think much better than the previous side. Will know for sure tomorrow.

Planned next steps:

0.5) Almost forgot, need more epoxy before doing anything, only have a couple of ounces of hardener left, imagine that!
1) Sharpen up corners with wood flour putty (after sanding of course!).
2) Fair bottom with microballoon and silica slurry (after sanding of course!).
3) Install skegs.
4) Install splash rail (still not sure what I will use here, have to give it some thought).
5) Final fair with qf.
6) graphite/epoxy bottom with 1" wrap up the sides.
7) Prime
8) Flip over to start the real work......

The above sound right to you guys?

pics below:
demoisturizing device.
Only the stearn left, almost there!
done stearn shot
done bow shot

Thanks again for all the help and input,
Hagar

hagar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by hagar »

Larry B wrote:Hager, got a question? What is angle in degrees of your transom?? Sorry guys this just bugs me
Sorry Larry, meant to reply to this in my last post but got ahead of myself. And please don't be sorry for asking, I should have (and actually meant to) chime in on whatever post I saw this on, but CRS disease is setting in these days. I don't know if I will be able to find a protractor, maybe the kids might have one. If not, I may be able to take some measurements and trig it out. Either way will try to do it after dinner tonight when the epoxy gets skinned over.

Hjalmar

cape man

Post by cape man »

The lamination looks good and your plan of attack sounds about right. Getting there!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

The glass work looks real good. I've had water intrusion problems a couple of times myself, building under a shed roof that is open on 3 sides. Not to worry, dry it out and carry on. Your plan sounds just right.
Hager, got a question? What is angle in degrees of your transom?? :wink: Sorry guys this just bugs me
LarryB, are you still worried about the 1.5 degrees your transom is off :?: :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Cracker Larry wrote:
LarryB, are you still worried about the 1.5 degrees your transom is off :?: :lol:
No, I'm worried about the 1.5 degrees that yours and craigs is off :lol: :lol: :D :wink: :wink:
Completed: FL14, OD18

hagar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by hagar »

Larry B wrote:Hager, got a question? What is angle in degrees of your transom?? Sorry guys this just bugs me
I couldn't find a protractor, but, using a drywall square with the long leg paralell to the bottom and the short leg (14") touching the transom the intersection appeared to be at the 4-9/16 mark. Using the math I came out with 8° from the 90° vertical. Said all that to note that accuracy is to the 1/16".

Crap, just noticed I have been spelling stern with an a (stearn) all day. Not that I profess to be a good speller, but ...must be the epoxy fumes.

Hagar

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

Nice clean lamination 8O :D
Aloha