by icelikkilinc

Re: "BERKIM" - TW28 is splashed!!!

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:26 pm
by colinhart
:D Congatulations looks fantastic bon voyage Colin

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:32 pm
by Dog Fish
Cool, All right she's in the water, real happy for ya. Looking forward to the pics.

Brian

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:00 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:14 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Congratulations!! Wohoo!

More pictures please when you have time.

That is so cool! 8)

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:16 pm
by WobblyLegs
One word:

STUNNING!

What does "Berkim" mean?

The TW28 has been one of my favourite designs ever since it came out, maybe... one day...

Regards,

Tim.

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:33 pm
by hooter
i bet it turned some heads when your door "birthed" (or "bearthed" since we're nautical) that beast of a boat!

Awesome.
Jealous.

hOOter

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:01 pm
by gstanfield
Nice! I'm pretty sure I would be sleeping on that thing for a while as I just could not stand to leave it if it were mine.

George

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:19 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:26 pm
by macs
Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!

What a fine job you did.

Congratulations!

Macs :D

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:31 pm
by TomW
Georgeous and I love the name and implications of the nuances. 8) Have fun next weekend when you can get some sea time hopefully.

Tom

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:32 pm
by Boater45
WOW!!! 8O What a beautiful boat. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:41 pm
by gstanfield
Nice name, and yes I guess work must be done :( at least you live in a beautiful area and can make the best of the time you do get to spend on it. I'm happy to see you have it floating.

George

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:04 pm
by ks8
And you know every inch of it. Beautiful! :D

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:08 pm
by wegcagle
Absolutely amazing 8O 8O 8O 8) 8) 8) Enjoy her, and the newest addition to the family. :D

Will

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:15 pm
by stickystuff
Congratulations not only to you but to Jacques for a beautiful design.
akes me want to build another.awsome. :)

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:24 pm
by Daddy
Beautiful, you must be proud to do such a fine job, CONGRATULATIONS
Daddy

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:28 pm
by Cracker Larry
Outstanding 8) I'm proud just to follow along on that build.

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:43 pm
by Larry B
Berkim is a beautiful boat. You have to be very proud :D

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:51 pm
by steve292
Truly stunning..... & quick as well, brilliantly done :D 8)
Steve

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:19 pm
by Joe H
WOW, Fantastic! You must be in a spin, new son, new job and now a new boat, congradulations.

Joe H

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:40 am
by chicagoross
Amazing! Awesome! Beautiful! I know it's all been said already, but it's all true!

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:14 am
by TheBroomside
Enjoy he boat. Really great, and build in a record time. Congratulations.
How does Berkim handle?
We will visit Turkey this summer, maybe there will be an opportunity to meet and see Berkim for real.

Good Luck,
Peter
LUS

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:01 am
by colinhart
When you have had a rest can we have videos of her moving in the water, performance figures etc have fun colin

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:22 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:27 pm
by Fonda@kauai
I can't even fathom a project of that magnitude :help: You, sir, are my hero :D Congratulations :D

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:35 pm
by TW28RJ
It's looking good!

When you get it trim, could let me know how much ballast you added to get it trim and where you had to put it. Not how much to get it sitting on it's lines, but just to get it sitting level. I'm curious about this and wondering why that is, both yours and yarvaz's sat this way. Don't know about Maca's because i didn't see it. I'm just wondering how much the extended pilot house roof, ss rudder, teak deck have to do with it. I didn't expect it to sit this high up front. High up on it's lines yes, but more level.

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:40 pm
by wegcagle
Fonda, do you realize that he started this thing WAY after we started our builds :oops: 8O Fast and beautiful.

Will

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:39 am
by Fonda@kauai
I know! So unfair...... :lol: :lol:

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:25 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:17 pm
by TW28RJ
Yes I understood that, more curious as to where you have to place it to get it sitting level (not on its lines)level. I ask this as my build will have less amenities and will need a lot of ballast. I believe as designed without any modifications it will need a fair amount of ballast forward of its cg to sit level. Yavaz's build sat quite high at the bow and didn't have too much additional weight abaft, I'm guessing Macca's too. Knowing this will help with the placement of some things. There are a few of us here (Canada and the us) just about ready to start building. I have the kit and a few other necessities just getting ready to buy the engine, and working on a slight modification to the pilot house and galley. I have the oppisite problem you did, my wife is 5' and I'm 5'6" were planing to lower the gally roof a few inches and make the windows in the pilot house larger for better visibility.

Wasn't a criticism of your work by any means! I may have my friend Tanner translate this and some other questions so nothing gets lost in translation. Both my wife and I speak multible languages unfortunatly Turkish isn't one. I had planed to name our boat after my wife "Borynette" but I have a 2 year old son and you have inspired me to name it after him!

Congratulatios again onthe build!

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:16 pm
by gk108
Excellent! I don't know what else to say. Just...WOW! 8)

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:35 pm
by Knottybuoyz
With regards to trimming a new boat. I hope Macca doesn't mind but here's his just after it was splashed. Just a tad light.

Imagea

And here it is right on her lines in running trim.

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:26 am
by TheBroomside
Ilker,

Of course I should wait until you did some more tests and have te results. But I am curious.
Is the Berkim not sitting level at rest? Looking at your picture I cannot say, there are two people on the foredeck.
What you wrote is:
Ilker wrote: At 1600 rpms I got around 5 knots.. I was actually testing the systems so I did not rev it up properly but the boat definetely needs ballast.. mostly at the front end of the keel. I guess around 300kgs.. I will test.. add gradually to find the balance because even at 2400rpm the back wants to duck to much..
If the Berkim does 5 knots at 1600 rpm, it will probably do close to 7 knots at 2400 rpm. This the hull speed (or above?) which could partially explain the behaviour.
What are your thoughts? I am really looking forward to more data collected by you.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:47 am
by Knottybuoyz
Hey ilker, any comments from the designer yet?

Peter you're next when will we see your boat get wet?

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:30 am
by kiwi
Congratulations Ilker!

Very nice boat. Just in time for summer cruising!

Cheers

kiwi

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:02 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:05 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:02 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:49 pm
by gstanfield
beautiful! Looks like you're gonna have to find a job with more days off :D

George

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:09 pm
by wegcagle
Now comes the fun part. Actually getting to enjoy the boat where it is intended to be :D Your drop down table turned out amazing. Congrats.

Will

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:22 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:33 pm
by sitandfish
Love the video! Thanks. Feels like I'm on board. :lol:

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:34 pm
by Knottybuoyz
icelikkilinc wrote:Her comes the the ride of the day..

Uploading a video of interior in a while as well

http://www.vimeo.com/11005700
Amazing Ilker! You've got to be very proud.

How as the engine noise? Sounds pretty loud on the video. What size prop is on you boat? There didn't seem to be much wake behind the boat.

One request please, can you get some video of it at full speed from off the boat (sail past)?

Rick (grinning from ear to ear) :D

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:40 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:43 pm
by Dog Fish
Thanks, very cool, but I don't know what the hell you guys were saying. :P I only know English and not very good at that. You should be so happy, that boat is just so nice Ilker. Best of luck with her. 8)

Brian :)

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:00 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:26 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:34 pm
by sitandfish
icelikkilinc wrote:
Dog Fish wrote:Thanks, very cool, but I don't know what the hell you guys were saying. :P I only know English and not very good at that. You should be so happy, that boat is just so nice Ilker. Best of luck with her. 8)
:lol: :lol: we are basically trying to get used to the boat.. talking about the revs and the speed and wake behind etc..
of course on Turkish.. if I have time I will do an english commentary or script one.. if I have the time...
I'll bet 50 euros that none of the Americans (including me) would put in the effort to translate our posts into Turkish. :wink:

Again; beautiful boat, beautiful water, great video and I'm looking forward to anything you post; in any language! :lol:

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:07 pm
by Dog Fish
if I have time I will do an english commentary or script one.. if I have the time...
No need to do it in English, just messing with ya, I am sure " you " understand that. You know its not only that you built this boat at a amazing pace, its the quality of craftsmanship you have held through out the entire build. Super job :!:

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:52 pm
by TW28RJ
It's looking really good and all of us TW28 builders in the wings very much appreciate all of the information you have to graciously been posting. It's a reall help. The diesel sounds great and I like the idea of the 21" prop. I missed that during the buld some how. I managed to get an 18" to work out the 21 would have made a huge difference as I could go with a higher reduction.. at 18" we have a 2:1.. What are you running for hp?

Sorry for the jarbled email and miss spellings, I have my 2 year old on my lap.. BTW he was very intersted in your video and he know the word boat very well!

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:00 pm
by cape man
Missed the launch!!! Wow! Beautiful. Just beautiful. Congratulations.

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:26 pm
by UncleRalph
In my book, you win the award for the most impressive build on this website. Beautiful! I wish you many great adventures in your boat.

Ralph

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:31 am
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:37 am
by sitandfish
icelikkilinc wrote:
TW28RJ wrote:It's looking really good and all of us TW28 builders in the wings very much appreciate all of the information you have to graciously been posting. It's a reall help. The diesel sounds great and I like the idea of the 21" prop. I missed that during the buld some how. I managed to get an 18" to work out the 21 would have made a huge difference as I could go with a higher reduction.. at 18" we have a 2:1.. What are you running for hp?

Sorry for the jarbled email and miss spellings, I have my 2 year old on my lap.. BTW he was very intersted in your video and he know the word boat very well!
I have an Hyundai.. 2600cc 4 cyl.. 80 hp at 4000 rpm.. it has an prm 150 hyrdaulic gearbox with 2.82:1 gear ratio..

I wouldnt run a 2:1 ratio on a displacement hull.. that is why I have a higher ratio, slower turning bigger prop..

Thanks guys, she has been on home - sea - for a full week now.. early in the morning here, my baby boy wakes me up.. if mother in law does not have plans, the first maid will have her maiden voyage today as well...
:wink:

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:54 am
by TW28RJ
I would agree with the higher reduction gear and a trawler swinging a big prop.. however, limited to an 18" prop (and that's what I'm limited to) the math works out 18x13 with 2:1 reduction (thats for an efficent prop), you could go to an 18 x 17 with a 2:5 reduction, but that would be difficult in reverse and there's a possibility of lugging the engine..

As designed I'm limited to 18" with 10% cleareance.. that's why I was curious how you managed to get a 21" prop in there.. It may be an option I want to investigate..

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:04 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:19 pm
by gstanfield
20.47 inches = 520mm :D

george

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:08 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:56 pm
by gstanfield
You were perfect, the size was in the very middle of the range you estimated :D

George

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:13 am
by Knottybuoyz
Hi Ilker. Hope all is well and you're enjoying your new boat. We're certainly enjoying it too. I've got some questions if you have time. No hurry just thinking about my own project.

1. Were there any parts of your project where things cost you more than you expected?

2. Now that you've built the TW28 would you have liked to build a bigger boat?

3. If you were to do it all over again what would you do differently?

4. What tool(s) do you wish you had during your build?

5. Do you have a drawing with dimensions of your swim platform>

6. Can I substitute a fat lazy Orange Tabby Cat for a German Shepherd as an assistant?

Teşekkür Ederim

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:54 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:07 pm
by Knottybuoyz
icelikkilinc wrote:I have lost my dog to this project.. that is the saddest part of it.. the epoxy and fiberglass sanding has made my dock very sick.. so make sure you dont have a pet staying with the boat while contruction..
Sorry to hear that Ilker. That's a good point to remember. I usually have one or two (of five) cats supervising whatever I do.

Thanks for the answers they all help. If all goes according to plan I'll be stitching my first plywood panels together by September! :wink:

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:00 pm
by Cracker Larry
I'm very sorry to hear that :cry: Was it the sanding dust? Both of my dogs have built 4 boats, I usually put them inside if I'm doing a lot of sanding but I worry about them.

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:09 pm
by Larry B
Yes, sorry to hear about your dog. Are you sure it was the boat dust that made him sick?? Like CL, I move my dog outside of the shop when doing lots of sanding. He gets mad and don't like it, but it's for his sake.
Hope you dog will be ok.

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:32 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:34 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:43 pm
by sitandfish
It's fun for me to follow the building process of all the different boats offered by BateauDotCom. But, it is the information from all the guys actually going through the process that is so invaluable. Your build is one of the best examples. It's not just the quality of the construction.. it's the honesty and forth-rightness of the information you provide.

Not hard to understand that a guy that has displayed such integrity would feel the loss of a pet (loved one) so strongly. I loss my last dog to old age but, no circumstance seems to make it hurt any less. Thanks, for all that you have given to this site and sorry for your loss.

Moving forward, it is clear that this boat is going to be a wonderful addition to your family's pleasure. Cant wait to see the whole family on board. :) Mark

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:21 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:06 pm
by Dog Fish
Not hard to understand that a guy that has displayed such integrity would feel the loss of a pet (loved one) so strongly. I loss my last dog to old age but, no circumstance seems to make it hurt any less. Thanks, for all that you have given to this site and sorry for your loss.

Moving forward, it is clear that this boat is going to be a wonderful addition to your family's pleasure. Cant wait to see the whole family on board. :) Mark
Nicely said Mark.

Ilker, I am also sad to hear about your dog, I know how heart breaking it is.( Too many times ) They are more than just your best friend,they are family.

Brian

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:27 pm
by TomW
Ilker I also feel for your loss of your dog. I loss a cherished pet two years ago and it hasn't been the same since. No one to sit at your feet or on your lap or coming up wanting petting. It's hard especially after 17 years when she came out of the woods and sort of adopted us as much as we adopted her.

I'm sorry for your loss, but don't be afraiiid of adopting another they may be as loving as your last friend.

Tom

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:48 pm
by Larry B
icelikkilinc wrote:
Larry B wrote:Hope you dog will be ok.
Sorry to say Larry but we are not together any more.. it has been couple of months.. :(
Sorry to hear that icelikkilinc, but don't let that stop you from getting anothe dog. I've lost alot of dogs in my life and really missed everyone of them. But life without a dog just isn't a option for me or my wife. You would be amazed of the healing power of a new puppy :D They just seem to know what your going thru and give you so much love.
Your a young man, you need another dog for company on that fantastic boat :D :D :D

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:44 am
by Knottybuoyz
Hi Ilker

I hope you have a great weekend on that nice boat. I've got a few more questions if you don't mind. When you have time, no hurry.

I've been looking through all your photos and from some of the other TW28's that have been launched. This one in particular.

And this one from Peter...

And this one from Macca's build...

From your pictures you look like a pretty big fella, I'm only 5' 7"s tall & about 240 lbs so it's going to be a tight squeeze for me to get into the engine spaces to fix/service stuff. With your long arms it probably isn't an issue but did you take any special care to ensure you could get to things that needed normal maintenance like oil filters etc.? I imagine actually getting below the cabin sole into the engine space would be as much of a challenge for you as I think it'll be for me. When I look at these pics I imagine I'll have to take special care to locate equipment that needs regular maintenance and use (through hulls, strainers, batteries, pumps etc.) within easy reach.

I did order a remote oil drain and pump so I can change the oil without actually having to access the drain plug on the engine. I might do the same for oil & fuel filters although they're pretty accessible on the top & side of the engine.

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:53 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:57 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:37 pm
by Knottybuoyz
icelikkilinc wrote: And this is what this whole project is about..

Image..
Absolutely! Well done! :D
Ratty: wrote:If you believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing, half so worth doing as - simply messing around in boats!
Kenneth Grahame » The Wind in the Willows » Chapter 1

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:54 pm
by gstanfield
Nice family you have there. As to the boat, where did you end up putting the ballast?

George

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:34 pm
by wegcagle
Beautiful Ilker. (and the boat isn't too bad either :lol: ) Truly family is what it's all about.

Will

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:04 pm
by TomW
Great family and definately what boating is all about! :D When we lived in the same city with my in-laws we were out every week-end we could. They have now passed but they were more my real mom and dad than than my own. Fishing or sailing we did it all. Can't wait to finish my own boat.

Tom

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:26 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Nice touch Ilker putting the TW 28 on the side! 8)

What are the locals saying about the new boat in the harbor?

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:49 pm
by Larry B
Thats some cool pictures right there. Thats what it's all about. Beautiful Family you got there. Beautiful Boat too :D

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:56 am
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:58 am
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:12 pm
by fallguy1000
Spectacular!

Congratulations, a lot of hard work and a big payday..

Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:21 am
by colinhart
The boat looks great enjoyed the videos sorry about the dog.
Not long before I start my build 45 more working days to go then I am retired.
Not pushing but are there any plans to produce external video shots of you beautiful vessel in the near future so I can dream of the future. All the best to your wife and your boy they look a great family . They say the first 30 years of bringing up kids is the worst. my youngest is 29 only a year to go Colin

Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:08 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:54 pm
by gstanfield
Wonderful, I look foward to the pictures of the boat in action.

George

Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:28 pm
by BassMunn
Congratulations on an awesome build, you must be very proud. I know I would be if I had built that. How did you manage to build that faster than my 16ft :doh: :oops:

Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:17 pm
by wegcagle
How did you manage to build that faster than my 16ft
At least your boat is 16ft Shannon :oops: :oops: :oops:

Congrats again on Berkim she's beautiful

Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:25 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:08 pm
by Knottybuoyz
icelikkilinc wrote:I just had a lot of free time...

now I am working 12 hours a day for 5 days at office.. no way that I can finish a TW28 on weekends with the way I work now :!:
As much as we'd all like to just build boats for ourselves that doesn't pay the bills. At least you got it in the water Ilker. That was the important first step! I'm sure you'll find time over the next few years to make it the way you want it. Now you can enjoy it with your family. Nothing wrong with that at all. I suspect it'll take me two years to get done what you did in one!

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:17 pm
by Pat4
Boat looks SUPER!!

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:41 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:01 pm
by TomW
That is just a beautiful looking boat.

Tom

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:13 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:33 pm
by sitandfish
She really looks good underway. Sounds good (the horn) too! :wink:

Posted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:38 pm
by Joe H
Very cool video, you must be proud, what a head turner!

Joe H

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:19 am
by topwater
Very nice :!: Looks likes she handles very well, nice short turning radius.

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:58 pm
by Knottybuoyz
How's it going Ilker? We haven't heard from you in awhile. Hope all is well.

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:07 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:14 am
by macs
Outstanding job! That's a fine boat you've built :wink: The videos are a cool touch, also.

Macs :)

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:29 am
by colinhart
I am looking to start fairly soon I know you are busy but a few points when you have the time.
When you joined the ply at the start of the process did you scarf the joints? or just use a butt joint.
Why didn’t you use some of the internal bulkheads as your frames
Did you originally put the moulds on for the keel and then cut them off Then put the plywood back on later for this
Hope myou dont mind me asking
All the best Colin

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:50 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:58 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Hi Ilker. I'm glad all is well and you're enjoying the boat.

How did the ballast work out? Where did you end up putting it? Do you think it'll need more?

Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:22 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:50 am
by Knottybuoyz
Hi Ilker

Hope all is well and you've had some time to use your new boat. I was wondering what your thoughts were on the extending the cabin top over the cockpit now that the boat is built. Is it what you expected it would be? Any problems with it or have you had any second thoughts about having done it?

Thnx.

Rick

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:20 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:34 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:48 am
by Knottybuoyz
icelikkilinc wrote:The boat has 23 hours on the engine now. I have launched on April 11th and it shows how busy I am not to be able spend more time with Berkim :cry:
As we say in Canada Ilker, "That Sucks!". Hope you can get some more time to spend on that nice boat with your wonderful family soon.
icelikkilinc wrote:I have filled 150 liters of diesel on the launch day but during that stress I forgot to open the valfe and spilled some 5-10 liters.. so 140 liters of diesel and it was showing a bit above the half way mark on the dashboard. I am now under or around the quarter mark. I guess I still have around 40 liters. With a basic calculation the boat is consuming under 5 liters per hour.. I rev it up and down, but try to keep it constant and it is really economic. 80 hp is good to have...
5 liters per hour is pretty good. I'm guessing with 55 HP burn will be about 4 per hour or 1 gal per hour. That'll give us a range of about 500 nautical miles with 70 gallons of fuel, give or take a few. Around here we spend a lot of time in the canals and locks so figuring true fuel consumption is pretty difficult. We also run in the river with some pretty stiff currents so the extra horsepower will be put to good use.
icelikkilinc wrote:top speed I had was 8.5 knots at 2900 revs.

cruise is 7-7.3 knots at 2300-2500 revs...

2000-2100 gives you comfortable and silent ride at 6.5 knots.
Impressive! :D
icelikkilinc wrote:Above 7.2 the swim platform starts to duck a bit too much and holds the water.. I will definetely install hydraulic flaps during winter when I pull oout the boat for antifouling etc...
I think the technical term is "Squat". That's when the stern catches up with the trough of the bow wake and falls into it. You might have to go with the biggest trim planes you can fit to overcome the weight of the boat and even then it might not lift the stern up enough to overcome the squat.
icelikkilinc wrote:there are things that I was looking to complete right after the launch but still no time.. I have only 1 week of summer vacation and hope to squeeze them there. glad I worked hard to complete because with the current job, I couldnt have done it in 5 years...
You did very well to get the boat together as quickly as you did. I'm figuring 3 years to get mine in the water. I want to take my time and get it right the first time because I know I'll never have the time to go back and fix things right! I'm finding just trying to get all the materials together to build a bow shed is a challenge and taking longer than I thought.

Carry on. Keep us posted on your adventures.

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:45 pm
by TheBroomside
Ilker,
top speed I had was 8.5 knots at 2900 revs.

cruise is 7-7.3 knots at 2300-2500 revs...

2000-2100 gives you comfortable and silent ride at 6.5 knots
This are really good numbers for a 28 ft displacement hull. Great, you really have a fantastic boat, enjoy it.

Peter
LUS

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:48 pm
by colinhart
Are you still working too hard or have you had some time on the boat Just started mine only 2000 hours to go Cheers Colin

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:03 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:02 pm
by sitandfish
icelikkilinc wrote:It got worse as I am changing work.. Havent even seen the boat in the last 3 weeks.
This weekend we expect a southern storm so I will definetely be around just in case..
An important part of owning a boat. She'll be find but.... be there. :wink:

Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:46 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:17 pm
by cape man
Love that boat. Thanks for the update and sorry to hear you had issues that kept you off the water.

Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:23 pm
by Cracker Larry
Beautiful :!: But did you catch any fish?

Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:28 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:06 am
by Garnett
Ilker, what a fantastic boat you built! Congratulations. This is a really inspirational thread.

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:05 am
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:43 am
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:33 pm
by cali123
That looks like a boat builders dream come true even if the goodies Are a little to large. Interesting pictures.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:29 pm
by sitandfish
icelikkilinc wrote:Maybe a bit off topic but what the heck.. This is my topic and I find this quite interesting...

Some pics that you might find interesting...
Yes, very interesting. Love seeing pictures from your part of the world. Do you have a picture of the "Uncles" lifeboat that was rebuilt? Would be interested in seeing that too. :wink:

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:52 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:55 pm
by Cracker Larry
Oh man, :cry: I'm sorry. That was a beautiful platform. Sure hope the 46 has insurance :|

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:00 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:01 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:11 pm
by gstanfield
Even with insurance it sucks that someone else's stupidity is causing more work, heartache and problems for you. I hope it gets worked out to your benefit and maybe it hits them hard enough that they learn from it.

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:14 pm
by Cracker Larry
I'm glad you had a strong bow too! A production boat doesn't have much of a chance against our home builds :lol:

Remember it's just pebbles and sand, could be a lot worse.

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:40 pm
by vla
Ilker,

That looks like a nightmare! A lot of unnecessary work. I hope it is not legal wrangling between the insurance companies.

Allard

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:58 am
by Knottybuoyz
Holy Crap Ilker! :x

I loved that swim platform. I've got a picture of it hung up on my boatshed wall!

I have plenty of confidence in my own skills but I'm always afraid of the idiots around me. Did the dummy even come over to apologize?

I'm sure you'll get her back together in no time and better than before. I'd say you won this round. A little further and you'd of split him clean in two! :?

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:45 pm
by gk108
I think we have a winner for the Rodney Dangerfield Yachtsman of the Year Award. :roll:
That scalawag ain't fit to command a bathtub toy! He should keep his feet on terra firma before he sinks the whole fleet!

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:19 am
by Corto Maltese
Your boat is sturdy indeed! Nevertheless it's a shame, you've made such a fine boat! Well, you'll repair the damage..., meanwhile Happy New Year to you & family and the same to all Bateau community!!!

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:40 pm
by fodrega
Ilker, your plataform was really nice, but I know the next will be better. Put pics for us.
Merry christmas, Fabio.

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:59 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:35 am
by colinhart
Sorry to see the damage to your swim platform the bloke must be a right muppet. Does show how strong these boats are at the bow mind you the first job when I turn the boat it to caste in a nice length of Iroko i have in the workshop to further reinforce the all ready over spec bow.
Colin

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:40 pm
by Knottybuoyz
Any update on the repairs Ilker?

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:22 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:39 pm
by icelikkilinc

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:49 pm
by peter-curacao
Is it already 2 years ago when you finished this beauty? time flies when having fun 8)
I don't think she looks to bad for two years, must be real good antifouling

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:40 am
by icelikkilinc
After 5 years of being splashed and spending the last 3 years as a non-used boat due to me being overseas, had to make a decision.
Seems I am a permanent in UK therefore I will not be able to use sail my boat anymore.
Therefore had to spend my vacation on maintenance/repair/refit and put it to sale.

Here is my summer vacation:

New swim platform SS 316 being constructed.

After test fitting on the boat and making sure of the fit, then welded support legs/arms completely back in the shop.
Fitted back on the boat permanently. Time to make it warm with Wood. Used Mahogany, same wood as the rest of the boat.

All wood strips in place. Need to work in spacing and curvature..

Have I told you how much I missed sanding :lol: :lol: This is on day when it was 40C in shade :help:

After 2 days of fiddling and cutting and using my trusted tools, fitted permanently.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:48 am
by icelikkilinc
Varnishing the new wood.. Always love wood working... The smell of Hard wood without any chemicals is amazing..
But gotta protect it from the external factors sooo..

And than lots and lots of sanding, washing, varnishing. Fairing on areas where it needs paint touch ups and repairs etc..

Crappy pic...

With the 4 step folding added for easy access.. made of 316SS.

And packing the baby as I don't want to see any scratches..

All running gear cleaned up and re assembled.. My back really hurts :help:

It will be very hard to part ways but I have to live where I can work.. Feeling really sad.. Will see how long it will take but the as should be online this week...

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:05 am
by Knottybuoyz
I'd like to offer my condolences Ilker. That'll be so sad having to give up your boat. No amount of money can compensate you for your hard work and fine attention to detail on Berkim. :cry:

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:25 am
by jacquesmm
Sorry to hear that you have to sell the boat. Yours is one of the nicest TW28's.

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:14 am
by icelikkilinc
I tried against it but I have been in UK since March 2013 and it has been not used for 3 seasons now.
The engine has only 100 hours on.

It will loose its value just sitting there and me being in the country in 2 weeks is summer, it does not make any financial benefits..

This summer I had 3 weeks holiday, spent 2 weeks night in night out doing all this work.
spent the other week sailing the Med on a Charter Catamaran that I have skippered. Costs per family was €1000 for the whole week including boat, food and loadsssss of alcholll.. I will look to own something in the future probably but for the time being, I cannot have a boat in Turkey when I am living in a different country.

This was the boat that I had for a week... a Fountaine Pajot Athena 38.. Old but more seaman compared to most of today's production catamarans as this was very low profile compared to the Lagoon's etc which is like a floating house :doh: