FS17 build getting.... SPLASHED!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS17 build getting underway

Post by Bowmovement »

whosmatt wrote:
speedgoat wrote:Looking good Matt. Getting that done has to be a good feeling.

If any of you SD boys are up for getting a beer and talking boats, fishing, or anything else some time, let me know. I think having a few like-minded local folks around during a boat build could be a handy thing.

I also happen to like drinking beer with like-minded folks. :D
I'm nearly always down with that :D. In addition, I'm pretty new to the area (have lived here less than a year) and am kinda on the outs w/ the wife (not because of the boat!) so I could probably stand to meet some people. Matt (the other one), you in? Also, either of you guys are welcome to stop in and have a look at the build. I'm not entirely proud of everything but it's my first try at this so I expect a few trials and tribulations.
Bugs Bunny got cotton balls? Always down to meet new folks and have some beers. Gonna be kinda busy this weekend with it being the 4th and all. But other than that I am free most of the time. I would like to check out your build. FS17 is what I would like to build. That boat should work perfect for this area.

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

whosmatt
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by whosmatt »

I got my first layer of rubrail glued on this morning.... about to start on the other side. I used a combination of temp screws and clamps to get the bow strip to conform without kerfs. Just picked up another 30 clamps at the home improvement circus.

I also picked up a couple of cabinet knobs, a box of norton 3x 60 grit and some 3M spray adhesive to try and make a fairing board... i got the biggest wooden cabinet knobs they had but they seem kinda small.. if all else fails, i'll just buy the real thing.

-M
"I then saw the sea as something of great mystery--of alien purpose and dark happenings" - Edward O. Wilson

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

Looking good Matt! 8)

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

whosmatt
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by whosmatt »

here's a pic of both sides of rubrail on (one layer) as well as those air bubble holes on the bow and keel filled w/ the leftover glue i had in my pot:

"I then saw the sea as something of great mystery--of alien purpose and dark happenings" - Edward O. Wilson

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement »

You'll be flipping that thing before ya know it

Matt

whosmatt
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by whosmatt »

Fairing is underway in earnest. Yesterday, after a thorough going over with the RO and 80 grit to feather the edges of the glass and take the top off the stitching, I coated the whole hull in neat epoxy and after a few hours a coat of thin fairing compound. This morning, I hit it with the longboard (what a workout!) and then another pass with the RO. Here's a shot with her second coating of frosting:

More to come...

-M

Lower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Lower »

Frosting is looking good Matt. Funny how you get to know every square inch of your boat when your fairing!

whosmatt
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by whosmatt »

Still fairing. Things i've learned:

1. The RO and the longboard are equally useful. Don't be afraid to use the best tool for the job.

2. Speaking of tools, the Surform plane is great for certain things, but it has a crappy handle.

Luckily a short piece of wood fills in nicely.

3. Stop frequently and blow the dust off. When in doubt about where you stand with regards to fairing material (ie where you're getting down to the glass), wipe the surface down with water.

4. If you're using a homemade longboard like me, remove the sandpaper and wipe it down with acetone (or your solvent of choice) at the end of the day. few things suck worse than having to remove paper and adhesive from your tools before starting.

5. Cover your beverage with a clean mixing cup or something else free of dust before blowing the dust off. You don't want to lose your beer to dust.

6. Concentrate on one area at a time. I decided to get the bottom close before resuming the sides/transom. It's a little more rewarding that way.

I've got three quarts of QuikFair and a gallon of S3 primer on the way. Bottom is getting close. Sides and transom are still on coat 2 of self-mixed fairing compound (the purple frosting).

Cheers,

Matt

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

5. Cover your beverage with a clean mixing cup or something else free of dust before blowing the dust off. You don't want to lose your beer to dust.
I'm adding THAT to my list of "things to NOT forget to do..."

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish »

tobolamr wrote:
I'm adding THAT to my list of "things to NOT forget to do..."
Especially the "Champaign of bottled beers"! :wink: