OB19 in SW FL

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OB19 in SW FL

Post by wadestep »

A visual, it will be a little bigger than the cooler in the pic

Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I built one a little bigger than that and used on layer of 1700 top and bottom. It seems to be enough.

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Ok, thanks. Maybe 12oz will be enough. I'll recheck after taping the seams. It's just so easy to glass before cutting into lots of little pieces.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

When I built my cooler I was worried about the same thing and used plywood on the exterior and interior with the foam sandwiched under, between and on top. Yes it made it heavier. I am thinking about building another with scrap materials and am curious about how yours turns out.

I agree it is much easier to laminate a larger flat panel if you have a big enough piece of cloth and then cut everything to size later.

Why not try a destructive test on a small piece of the fiberglass covered foam before you assemble it? Laminate both sides and hit it with something like a hammer or drop something heavy from above and see if it will dent, delaminate or crack.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Good luck with your project.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Delamination is more my concern. Watching with interest. I have lots of scrap, and have this project on the books.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

I cut the pieces today, and with the scrap tested the delamination strength. The glass skin on a 1" wide scrap was not hard to peel back. However, it actually peeled back a small layer of foam with it - so I guess it adhered to the foam well enough. The foam essentially peeled apart, not glass off of the foam. It's temporarily glued right now, need to tape it up on the inside and then grind the outside radius smooth next.

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

Hello Wade,
Nice summery on the OB19.
I'm giving some serious thought about building the OB19 for fishing the great lakes, I love my P19 and will never get rid of her but she's a little tough to do some of the type of fishing I like to do, I need a trolling motor on the bow and something that doesn't act like a sail, (my P19) so i'm thinking the OB19 would be an excellent addition to my fleet! :)

Raising the sole I get, wish I would have done that on my P19, do you think and inch would do it on raising the sole, any other suggestions you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

wadestep wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:52 pm I cut the pieces today, and with the scrap tested the delamination strength. The glass skin on a 1" wide scrap was not hard to peel back. However, it actually peeled back a small layer of foam with it - so I guess it adhered to the foam well enough. The foam essentially peeled apart, not glass off of the foam. It's temporarily glued right now, need to tape it up on the inside and then grind the outside radius smooth next.
90 degree peel tests are notoriously disappointing..

The only real way to test foam bonds is coupon pull of testing.

My panels also peeled easier than I had hoped.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

It is 'slappy' when running into a head sea, even only of 1 foot or so. It does not ride like a deep-V boat. Running into waves provides a jolt or slap, more than I was hoping for. However, the beneficial trade-offs include batter MPG, faster with same HP, more stable at rest, faster to plane, more beam=more room, etc...

Knowing what you know now would you have gone with a deeper V boat design?

Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Hi Joe, sorry for the delayed reply. I used to get email reminders for this thread...
Anyway, I do still think I would raise the sole only about an inch or less in order to create a trough at the back in front of the motor well bulkhead. This would enable complete self bailing with the exception of a little water remaining in the trough. As it is the drains are at the deck level which means that it doesn't drain 100%. Lowering the drains even a very little bit would improve the drainage. It could even be raising the sole a half inch. I don't think this is unique to the OB19.