Topwaters NV23

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Topwaters NV23

Post by Cracker Larry »

That's a fine shop 8) Fine dog too 8) Yep, yer gonna need more epoxy 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Dang that's a shop and 1/2 :D Good looking dog also.
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I'll chime in with the rest, fine shop and dog. Since they don't make respirators for dogs, I'm sure you'll watch out for him, like he does for you.

Looking forward to your build Dougster

topwater

Post by topwater »

Thanks guys, my first shop out east was 14' by 28' and i thought it was going to be tight.
So i sat down and pondered a long while and this what i ended up with. The dog wont be in the shop
when i am doing any sanding, he only comes out to see were i am and chew on a 2by4 for a little while
and then wants out. I have a question for you guys, what size notches on the notched spreader did
you use when glueing up the transom :?: The reason i ask is i almost used a whole gallon of gelmagic
when i glued the stringers 8O . At the rate i am going at i'll have to double bom on the gelmagic just
to glue up the hull :!:
Novi 23 finally launched !

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Have to respond and agree with all, Very Nice Shop, Cool Dog, Need more Epoxy, WHERE'S THE BEER :doh:
Completed: FL14, OD18

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

I think your workshop is bigger and nicer than my house :!: Crikey Mate what a terrific work place. :D I wouldn't let my dog in a place like that...unless it had socks on, and even then, it might shed hair on the floor :(

Steve.

topwater

Post by topwater »

Thanks Steve, i figured if i was going to do it again i would try to do it right.

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

topwater wrote: I have a question for you guys, what size notches on the notched spreader did
you use when glueing up the transom :?: The reason i ask is i almost used a whole gallon of gelmagic
when i glued the stringers 8O . At the rate i am going at i'll have to double bom on the gelmagic just
to glue up the hull :!:
Hey there TW - I did the transom for my OB19 about 2 months ago - I used the medium side of the spreader. I also used regular thickened epoxy, which was a little different consistency as compared to gelmagic. You may want to consider the cost of using that amount of Gelmagic for a job that works very well with regular woodflour-thickened epoxy. I'm saving the Gelmagic for the jobs requiring longer "open" times - ie gluing the seams, laminating small pieces such as rubrails, etc... I think the GelMagic is a little less spreadable also.

To each their own, I'm sure it will work just fine. It's definatly strong enough.

wade
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

topwater

Post by topwater »

Thanks for the info Wadestep. I already have the transom glued up, did it with the small notches
and coated both sides. Everything went well. I think like most builders building there first boat
i tend to over think each step. Heres what i did , put all transom parts togeather and lined up,
clamped them down and then drilled two 3/8 holes half way up both sides and 3" in. The 3/8 holes
went through the first two and 3/4 of the way through the bottom one. Glued in two 3/8 fluted
dowels in the bottom part marked each part so i knew which way they went back togeather.
Glued both sides that were to go togeather and placed them over the dowels and went to the
next part . It worked realy well everything lined up the first time and just put some weight
on it and was done. There was no messing around with trying to get everything lined up.
I didnt have the camera handy but will post some pic's this weekend.

topwater

Post by topwater »

Some new updates
Looks pretty good doesn't it :?: Now i have to tear it all apart and start over again :help:
It's not square and its not straight, so iam going to tear it down to the jig and rebuild
the jig. I'll get it right or not go forward :!: I will not build a twisted or unstraight boat.
This will be the second time i have torn it down. At least i am consistent :?