Topwaters NV23

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Topwaters NV23

Post by Hope2float »

TopWater
I would have to strongly agree with the last post. I got my powermatic contractor saw for 350.00 used in 1997. It needed a little tuning and it has been going ever since. Do not buy a Craftsman, Rigid, skil, or any 1 1/4 proclaimed HP. You will not be satisfied with the power. The saw will run down or trip the breaker everytime you demand a little performance from her. A good contractor saw like Jet, Powermatic who are owned by the same company. Possibly a grizzly saw. To set a a price level if the saw doesn,t cost around 800.00 new then don't even buy it. The next level up are cabinet saws which are the best but be prepared to plunk down about 1400.00. If you are not a professional carpenter with serious ambitions the quality contractor style is for you. I have access to a delta cabinet saw with beisemeyer fence, extention and outfeed table. A quality fence is also important to performance and jig attachment. I have a Vega with micro adjustment and it was offered directly from powermatic. On the fence issue. When you set up the fence set the rear of the fence .010 this is the back of the blade side. Use the miter slot as a guide. Loosen fence bolts set front of fence at zero distance from edge of miter slot. Use a feeler guage and set rear of fence .010 away from the blade. This will prevent double cutting of the wood or blade scoring from the backside of the blade. It will not effect the rip in accuracy at all. Once you pass a piece of wood past the front of the blade it doesn't need to be cut by the rear of the blade or burned. You will hear the cut stop after the peice passes the front but before exiting the rear. Mine has been set this way for 13 yrs with no ill effects to cut.
Dave
Last edited by Hope2float on Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Very good advice, Dave 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Excellent advice Dave. A good 2HP on it's own 120, 20 amp circuit or even 220 volt circuit, they usually can use either, will be what most contractor or hybrid saws are powered with these days. These saws will last. The hybrids are great and have the bigger trunnions and a left leaning blade I prefer and are only a couple $100 more than a contractors saw. In saws to consider in the upper levels there is also Delta.
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

bbuckl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bbuckl »

Table saw... how much precision do you need. If you are not a woodworker, not building furniture or cabinets, and not planning on becoming a woodworker - I would go a different direction and just get a benchtop table saw. When not in use... you stick it on a shelf.
No deadlines, project in storage

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float »

It's not he precision that is the problem it's the power of the machine cutting the wood and the ability the be stable while you are cutting large sheet goods. A bench saw will just run away on you and does't offer much table size to handle stock. Also with a shop like his it could easily be tucked in a corner on a mobile base. We have to remember the bitterness of poor quality far outlasts the thrill of the bargin. :idea: A junk saw is 400.00 so save a little while, buy the best you can afford and give it to kids when you take a dirt nap. :lol:
Dave

Like these little smilies. no one will fire arrows at me for good sound advice

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Like these little smilies. no one will fire arrows at me for good sound advice
Well, based on MY experiences, someone is sure to fire arrows even at good sound advice. It happens to me all the time :lol: Usually it's the same shooters though :lol: I try to ignore it, and give good advice or none at all :wink: That was good advice.
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Yep it's hard to rip a 4x8 sheet on a little bench saw. :lol:
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Yep, on my POS Ryobi, I have to first rip to a manageable size with a circular saw, before I can consider putting it on the table saw. My table saw isn't nearly as good as my other tools, and I almost never use it because of that. I know cheap table saws aren't any good, because I own one :(

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float »

The ryobi hand tools are great because of price the batteries 54.00 for two as opposed to others at 75.00 each. The table saw is called that for a reason. The bench top saw, in my opinion, is a joke. Instead of spending 169.00 for one of them buy a good circular saw such as a porter cable, Makita they are light and great. Take a deep breath, salute it and place the bench saw on the mornings trash pickup. The garbage guys while love you because we already know what they do for living. :!:

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

The only redeeming quality of my Ryobi table saw is that it also has a built in router table, and it actually works pretty good :D Almost makes it worth the price :lol:

Last edited by Cracker Larry on Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.