OB17 Underway Downunder...Splashed.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OB17 Underway Downunder...Splashed.

Post by chicagoross »

Just beautiful, Slippa! Congrats! The family is quite happy, which is great too. They know you're gonna keep building yet? :D

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Building a gorgeous custom rig like that sure doesn't make the tinny next to you at the launch look any better, does it? :D

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

Thanks guys for all the kind words, I really am very pleased with her. She tracks on rails even at top speed on messy water. Turns very well, very precise , minimal slip, rolls in just nice.

Amazing feature---No hump before planing, in fact very hard to tell the transistion from displacement to planing. Also no spray in your face, not once! We tryed all speeds and directions in some nasty rough stuff too. Tried to stuff the nose into the back of some big waves, at a quater angle too, would not even begin to broach. The rub rail makes a good spray rail as the bow tries to bury into the back of a wave...the water just peels away.

I am raving on, I know but it is so good. Oh! performance figures so far. 17 inch pitch high cup ventilated trial prop (Viper) 5400 RPM 74.2 KPH WOT. Smooth water with some messy boat wakes.

One can trim the motor up at full throttle untill there is a big rooster out the back and the boat will not porpoise...it just gets faster! The Etec is grunty and very quiet ....good thing!

Cheers. Re. Slippa :D

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

WooHoo - Congrats Slippa. Bet your heart was racing as you backed her off the trailer :D
Your performance numbers sound like you got her dialed in already. 8)

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

chicagoross wrote:They know you're gonna keep building yet?
G'day Ross, yep they know and don't mind, next build will be at a lesser pace (night time mostly and no weekend work) Just have not completely decided on which one next. I have learned alot from this one so next will be easier as well.

Cheers Steve.

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

BassMunn wrote:WooHoo - Congrats Slippa. Bet your heart was racing as you backed her off the trailer :D
Your performance numbers sound like you got her dialed in already. 8)
Thanks Shannon, I got to tell you that I was pretty nervous, did not know what to expect really. The previous two nights were fairly sleepless. But, once it went into the water and no nasty habits or problems were revealed, I was at that moment the happiest man in the world... I'll fess up :oops: I have put in excess of 1400 hours into it 8O :roll: So... I was nervous/anxious.

Yes, The prop figures are excellent straight up...that will do. I can lift the motor more too for a bit more speed, it never even looked like cavitating.

Smiles all round here.

Thanks Mate !

Steve.

kdog
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by kdog »

Oh wow how did I miss this thread. :doh: Congrats Slippa on the launch!! Bet it felt great and seems like you had a nice shakedown run. It took me a little while to get things sorted.

Your performance numbers look great. 74.2 k is 46.1 MPH 8O That's pretty fast for a small boat, the best I did was 42 with some chine walking and it freaked me out a little.

Anyway congrats again on the splash, you built a really nice clean boat, enjoy! 8)

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

kdog wrote:Oh wow how did I miss this thread. :doh: Congrats Slippa on the launch!! Bet it felt great and seems like you had a nice shakedown run. It took me a little while to get things sorted.

Your performance numbers look great. 74.2 k is 46.1 MPH 8O That's pretty fast for a small boat, the best I did was 42 with some chine walking and it freaked me out a little.

Anyway congrats again on the splash, you built a really nice clean boat, enjoy! 8)
Many thanks kdog, I am still enjoying the feeling of satisfaction and it is fun to play with the "new toy" more fun than just buying one.

I believe my OB17 will be heavier than yours. Your boat floats higher in the water judging by the photos. I went a bit overboard with the internal glass. The plywood I used is Aussie Hoop marine ply and it is heavy (but super strong) The engine is145kilo and the transom is two inches thick etc etc. No regrets though it handles and rides well and at top speed tracks on rails, I have not experienced any chine walk (yet). Maybe the extra weight helps or may have something to do with the reverse chines. It also has no strakes or any skeg, but very sharp transom and chine edges.

I rekon I can get it a bit faster yet so I will update the figures if there is a change. I noticed that 2800rpm is 18 MPH and 3300rpm is 25 MPH. Cruises along very happy at half throttle and I think it is getting 2.5 Miles per litre

Regards Slippa.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Missed this...CONGRATULATIONS! She is definitiely a head turner and the numbers are amazing! Inspirational.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

Very nice, people will be asking you all kinds of questions about her.