OB17 Underway Downunder...Splashed.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OB17 Underway Downunder...Splashed.

Post by cottontop »

Beautiful boat and family. Bet the kids and everyone else thought you were crazy when you started this project. It's a great feeling of accomplishment when she turns out as fine as yours has isn't it? John

kdog
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by kdog »

sideslippa wrote: I believe my OB17 will be heavier than yours. Your boat floats higher in the water judging by the photos. I went a bit overboard with the internal glass. The plywood I used is Aussie Hoop marine ply and it is heavy (but super strong) The engine is145kilo and the transom is two inches thick etc etc. No regrets though it handles and rides well and at top speed tracks on rails, I have not experienced any chine walk (yet). Maybe the extra weight helps or may have something to do with the reverse chines. It also has no strakes or any skeg, but very sharp transom and chine edges.

I rekon I can get it a bit faster yet so I will update the figures if there is a change. I noticed that 2800rpm is 18 MPH and 3300rpm is 25 MPH. Cruises along very happy at half throttle and I think it is getting 2.5 Miles per litre
Regards Slippa.
Me and Lucky Louis had the same experience as you as far as the handling, it definitely tracks on rails in all sorts of turns at speed. Your reverse chine design seemed to work very well and it loses the drag of the skeg and strakes.

Some of my problems came from having a hook in the hull and having a rounded off transom so the water doesn't release so good. I should know this stuff from building surfboards and how water flows over different surfaces (lift, drag, release, concaves, foils, etc). Same probably applies for you and flying planes. I keep saying I'm going to fix some of the problems but I've been having so much fun over the past 5 seasons I didn't bother.

No worries about the weight if you can get her going that fast and even looking for more. 8) I just realized that you've got a 90hp on there.

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

Man I missed this :!: Congrats broseph, must be an amazing feeling. Especially since you've worked so hard to earn it, rather than just buy one :D
Aloha

bernd1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bernd1 »

Congratulations,

a very nice boat - I like it. You did a very good work. Enjoy it !

Bye
Bernd
Germany

Lower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Lower »

I'm a little late on this one too...but better late than never! Beatiful job! Love seeing these boats go in the water for the first time. Again, great job on this build!

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

Fonda@kauai wrote:Man I missed this :!: Congrats broseph, must be an amazing feeling. Especially since you've worked so hard to earn it, rather than just buy one :D
Thanks Fonda, I am looking foward to see your boat splashed, keep up the good work, I see you are making a very nice job of it. The feeling of operating your new owner built boat for the first time is wonderfull, you can look foward to the day.

Best regards... Slippa.

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

bernd1 wrote:Congratulations,

a very nice boat - I like it. You did a very good work. Enjoy it !

Bye
Bernd
Germany
Thankyou for your comments,

best regards Slippa

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

Lower wrote:I'm a little late on this one too...but better late than never! Beatiful job! Love seeing these boats go in the water for the first time. Again, great job on this build!
Yes it is a great result, thanks for your comments.
best regards Slippa

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

cape man wrote:Missed this...CONGRATULATIONS! She is definitiely a head turner and the numbers are amazing! Inspirational.
Thanks cape man and thanks to anyone I have forgot to thank. I have been out useing her as much as possible and I am getting the feel for her. The relationship is between me and my boat is just getting stronger and stronger..I love it!!!

Slippa.

Got a few more photos to put up soon.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

The relationship is between me and my boat is just getting stronger and stronger..I love it!!!

Slippa.
I know that feeling 8) And after almost 2 years it just keeps getting better :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose