OB17 Underway Downunder...Splashed.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OB17 Underway Downunder...Splashed.

Post by chicagoross »

Beautiful, Slippa! And the most important part - "A great time was had by all!" :D Clearly the family is enjoying your new toy!

danieloldhouse
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by danieloldhouse »

Slippa I haven't got words to define your work... The only one that comes in mind is BEAUTIFUL!!! I hope I'll be able to do something at least similar to yours, really congrats, nice boat and nice family too. Regards
Daniele

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Wow! I missed this one. Guess it slipped by me! :lol:

Congratulations! :D

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

ks8 wrote:Wow! I missed this one. Guess it slipped by me! :lol:

Congratulations! :D
Nice Pun :)
Sorry I missed your comment till now, Thanks for the compliment. I have been useing the boat alot for fishing and have been fishing alot... It is just fantastic and so far have not had any problems with anything. Well there is one slight problem apparantly, I am useing the boat too much :wink: :lol:
Here is a picture of a nice fish that ended up on the floor of My OB17 after a bit of a fight. The species is known here as a King Threadfin Salmon. They are very yummy.
Cheers re... Slippa.

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float »

Nice fish slippa, looks like a striped bass minus the stripes

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Very nice fish :D
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

FordV10
New Poster
New Poster

Post by FordV10 »

Looks great, i'm jelous that you finished yours, actually your OB 17 was the inspiration for me to start building that boat. I do have a couple of questions for you though if you dont mind answering them? I see that you dont have strakes on it (unless I am just not seeing them) and spray rail? Yours look like you may have a small spray rail (because at the chine at the transom looks like it flattens out from the V) Are these present and if not how does the boat ride? I'm really debating on adding them or not? Any help would be great. Thank you Eric :help:

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

Hi Eric, sorry for the slow reply, I have not been on the forum much, just occasioally look in to check progress on some builds that I am following. There has been some recent discussion about those chines on my boat, I'm just not sure how to find it. Yes you are right there are no strakes and no skeg either, only reverse chines. If you go to my build thread you will see a fair amount of detail on how it is done.

I am totally happy with the set up and recommend it. The boat rides well and tracks very straight. The boat does drift/slide a bit in tight turns if the bow is trimed high, a small skeg would probably help here. The reverse chines setup is very popular in our part of the world, pretty much all plate alloy boats here have no strakes or skeg but have prominate reverse chines. I simply copied that idea.

I am currently midway through another build. ( traditional ply on frame boat ) I am installing the same system on that boat too. If it turns out to perform as well as my OB17 I will be one happy chappy :D

The OB17 is a great boat I use it every moment I can spare, I love it. And I got to tell you It can really take a solid pounding. I have not had the slightest problem. I once owned a aluminium boat, we call them tinnies here. Well it was rubbish compared to the OB17. The bottom panels caved in between the frames from pounding and it started to crack in places. It also flexed, it was noisey, it developed corrosion and was generaly horrible. Keep on working at your boat mate, you won't be sorry. Best regards Slippa. :wink: