FS17 build in central Texas

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS17 build in central Texas

Post by gstanfield »

Very nice :D
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Good to see another hit the water. Nice pic of Mansfield dam. I think it is, anyway looking forward to see that beauty close up at the meet. Don

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cottontop »

Wafeg, You now have 2 beautiful builds. Great job. John

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

very nice, that may be the best gloss I have seen from S3 paint.

I'm looking forward to hearing about which prop you end up with, so i can copy you (I have the same boat/motor). I never did install a tach on mine, its a tiller, so Im just guessing I have it right with a 10.5 x 14 3 blade stainless prop.

EDIT: I see now your is a 50hp, mine is the older version and 40hp.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Wade great boat! Like the color.

Joel have you ever looked into TinyTachs. I think they have been brought up before, but are good where you don't want to run a regular tach. http://tinytach.com/tinytach/gasoline.php#
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

That is a beautiful boat, and I really like that color green 8)

Joel have you ever looked into TinyTachs.
Those are great little devices. We used to use them on ultralight planes, and I used one on my 25 Merc. to get the prop pitch right.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

They are good for things that have more or less continuous RPM's like boats and airplanes. I tried to use one on a dirt bike once but the bike revved a lot faster than the tach would keep up. :lol: They just don't have the ramp rate to match a high performance bike engine that goes from 2,500rpm to about 11,000rpm in a matter of a second and a half or so as they only update a couple of times a second. Otherwise they are great tachs.

I'll chime in with everyone else on saying that is a gorgeous boat you built. I love everything about it 8)
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Great job on the boat. I agree about the color. I really like it. That's what I was originally going to paint mine, but I got scared away after everyone said Georgia is too hot for that dark of a color.

AWESOME

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Wadeg, that is a super nice looking build, love the color. 8) I think the first prop I had on my boat was the same as yours after jumping through the hoops what we wound up with is a Powertech PTSWC3R10P-TN40. This prop is a semiweedless prop that has an incredible hole shot and will run 29 at 5700rpm. I think your boat is a little lighter than mine so you might need a little more pitch on yours. If you want more speed the have a semi cleaver blade that is supposed to be faster. We have the same motor.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Wade a thought. When you add cup you effectively add pitch. The water pushes on the prop more effectively. You also normally get more rake when you get more cup again making the prop more effiecent. You'll see your rpm's drop at WOT.

When you went down an inch in diameter you effectively went down an inch in pitch. Thus why you had more throttle left with the smaller prop.

If it was me I would probably start with the smaller prop or it's equivalent for cupping and go from there. But you make the call, every boat and motor combination is different.

Good luck and again you have a beautiful boat.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy