SPLASHED - FS 14 - First Timer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
FryFly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

SPLASHED - FS 14 - First Timer

Post by FryFly »

Thought I would say hello.

I've just ordered the plans for a FS17 and they are on there way across the pond. It'll be the first boat I've ever built. Actually if you dont include a couple of model planes and a spice rack its one of the first things I've ever built. I may have some silly questions to ask :D

I'm in the U.K. and winter has just arrived so should have plenty of time to chuck in. With any luck my best mate Tommo and I will have her ready for summer.

Currently I am thinking of extending a casting platform in the front and back, and moving the centre console a little further back it will mostly be used for Flyfishing our coastal waters (Bays and inshore) for our local bass. I'm also looking to integrate a seat/cooler into the console as follows. Excuse the terrible sketch...

Would I need to approach any design engineers before I attempt this sort of modification with the decks and console, I've been warned about structure integrity?

I hope to prove EVERYONE wrong and stay afloat. Hope you can help. :oops:

Many thnaks,
Glynn
Last edited by FryFly on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS 17 - First Timer

Post by steve292 »

You can do more or less what you want within reason, as long as you keep the frames where they are.
The FS 17 is a smallish boat & you need to think about weight & where you put it .
Anything major you want to alter you need to post in the power boats section, & get Jacques or Shine's input.
Where are you? If you are near Weston-super-mare, I can show you mine.
Steve

remedy32
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by remedy32 »

Hi Glynn,
Steve's quite right that the boat is a bit smallish. You should be sure to locate the console where it's shown on the plan to maintain correct fore/aft balance. (Modest) Steve should also mention that his 360 (or so) photos on this site have helped myself and others immensely in picturing how the boat looks and goes together!

So far with about 8 hours on the water I'm very happy with the boat in just about every way.

Bill in CT USA
FS17

FryFly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FryFly »

Thank you both for your comments - I'll be very considerate of size/weight.
Steve I'm in Maidenhead. Not a million miles away and it would be great at some point to come and have a look. I saw your build but the pictures on later pages seem to be missing. I'll have a good search around.

macs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by macs »

Welcome to the world of boat building. Ask lots of questions, others will learn from the questions and the answers. Post lots of pictures also. Good luck and welcome again :)

Macs

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

You should be able to build that console without much of a problem. I would take a look at the plans and see how wide the sole is at the level of the console. My opinion is to keep the console as thin as possible to do the job. That way you have more foot room around the center console. I also built my console first (I actually built 2 consoles first. Just didn't like the looks of the first one when I was done. It was too plain and too tall. I wanted sleek and fancy :lol: ). Building the console first was probably the best thing I did, because it is a GREAT introduction to the tools and method used here. I'm apparently a big nerd (you'll see why in a second). I first came up with the total length, width, and height. Then I used the pythagorean theorem 8O (AKA the nerd part) to come up with my triangular measurements for all of the fancy parts in between. (That's A squared +B squared = C squared). Worked like a charm and all of the pieces fit together perfectly :D (on both consoles :lol: ) I used a layer of 12oz biax tape on the outside and inside, and then fiberglassed each side with 9 oz weave (because I had alot of extra). You are also going to want to put backing blocks on all of the places that things will get attached to. (fishfinder, speakers, gauges, steering wheel, handle bars, etc) It'll just make you console tough as nails.

Good luck and post LOTs of pictures.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

FryFly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS 17 - now FS14

Post by FryFly »

So here's the thing, lots has changed due to building location issues. I'm dropping the FS17 Build as it cant fit in the garage that I have available to me. I ordered the FS14 plans which arrived as promptly as the FS17.

We've cleaned out the garage and built some trestles to put the strong backs on. We ordered the epoxy, tape etc. The woods delivered and cutting has commenced. I think the boat will be great for two people flyfishing and a few people pleasure cruising on the river. We have a 4 stroke 15HP and will convert it to steering for the console.

I'm planning a few alterations. Taking the middle seat out and installing a console. adding Gunwales. I'll be adding Foam under the sole and installing 2 sole hatches. Casting platform and also a potential rear platform with storage hatches and a livewell.

I hope the FS14 will handle the inshore chop. I'm quite excited - however this turns out, it's going to be fun. :roll:

Colour wise we are planning red/white.

As a matter of interest while sourcing the materials etc, I built a little balsa scale version of the hull to get a feel for it, i'm deffinitly going to ba an addict.

Just the colour scheme idea - the red on the deck will be non slip

mechdave
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by mechdave »

Just a suggestion. The FS14 is a pretty small boat. With your 15 hp why not keep it tiller steered and leave it more open to fish. You want to keep it light for the best performance. You could always add a small side console at a later date and run the controls down the side. This would get you in the water quicker to. It's hard not to add more features in but try to keep it simple and I think you'll be more satisfied with the results.

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

"Bucket test" the console - can you carry a 5 gallon bucket past it? We always seem to be using these multi=purpose tools on a small boat - you don't want to lift a full one over the console.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Yep do the bucket test. This FS14 was built in the Netherlands 4-5 years ago. It has a small console as you can see. Nothing as elaborate as you are going for. I just don't think there is room but go for it if there is.

Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy