OB15 Downunder

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OB15 Downunder

Post by chicagoross »

I found the glassing to be a very stressful job
Yeah, but it sure feels good when you finish! :D

AussieBoater
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by AussieBoater »

chicagoross wrote:
I found the glassing to be a very stressful job
Yeah, but it sure feels good when you finish! :D
Yes, it did, and now when I look at it, I think... "I did that..." :)
Paul - located at
31 degrees, 27.6 minutes South
152 degrees, 45.0 minutes East

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

G'day Mate, well it looks pretty good to me. Great looking boat, I like the shape and the chines are excellent. I have very similar chine flats on my boat (OB17) and they really work! It has excellent manners and throws the spray downwards. I'll be watching this one closely :wink:
keep up the good work 8)

Regards, Slippa.

AussieBoater
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by AussieBoater »

Thanks Slippa...

I received my fairing powder today, along with some high build epoxy primer... So this weekend is the start of the dreaded fairing game! :help:
Paul - located at

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

AussieBoater wrote:Thanks Slippa...

I received my fairing powder today, along with some high build epoxy primer... So this weekend is the start of the dreaded fairing game! :help:
I might be a bit weird but I don't mind fairing :doh: I call it "quality time"....The more time spent fairing with a fairing board the higher the qaulity of finish you will have. Plus it is really good exercise.

You mentioned that the glassing was a bit stressfull, I was wondering why, cause that should be fairly easy and enjoyable. Sand and prep the area to be glassed and blow off the dust, lay the glass over or on the area and smooth it out, do not put any epoxy on first, put the glass on dry. Hold it in place with pieces of masking tape if required, you can even trim it to fairly close if you like. When you are happy with it, mix up your epoxy and apply it onto the glass, wet out the glass well and roll it with a metal roller tool to work out any air and push the glass and resin onto and into the wood, then sqeegee any excess out of the glass with a plastic applicator. Excess resin is just unwanted weight and does not make your layup any stronger.

Well thats how I do it...unless I am doing a wet on wet layup.

Once your work has started to go off/cure but still plyable and plastic, trim any excess with a sharp knife.

I hope I am not being too nosey here.

Best regards Slippa.

AussieBoater
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by AussieBoater »

Slippa,
I tried doing it wet on wet. I taped the seams, then layed out the glass mat and it stuck on the seams and pulled out of shape. the threads holding the glass together pulled out, threads pulled and sat up... I started to stress... :)
It turned out ok, the temps down here were in the low 20's (about 64 to 70 F), so I had reasonable working time with the resin. I have standard hardener.

I missed the bit on your thread about trimming off the excess with a knife. I've now done that with a hacksaw blade. I'm about to start filling and fairing. this part I'm familiar with.

No, your not nosey, I'd call it helpful and friendly.
Thanks
Paul
Paul - located at

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

AussieBoater wrote:I tried doing it wet on wet. I taped the seams, then layed out the glass mat and it stuck on the seams and pulled out of shape.
Yep, That is precisely why I prefer to put it on dry when working larger areas. much easier. As long as you give any previous cured glass work a nice rough up and blow off, you won't have any problems. Regardless your build is looking very good, look foward to the next batch of photos Paul.

cheers, slippa.

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

I work mainly alone; each bit of glass is usually my 2 hour project for the day. Trying to do wet on wet, solo, would be very stressful. Since I'm in a tropical climate, wet on wet is usually not possible (except for something like double taping a chine or transom seam) because the poxy kicks too fast. Typically I only work 3 or 6 oz at a time. On the plus side, the next day you're ready to go back with the next layer after a quick hit with the flapper disk on the grinder. :D At any rate, even two hours a day gets the job done faster than you think!

sideslippa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by sideslippa »

chicagoross wrote:I work mainly alone; each bit of glass is usually my 2 hour project for the day. Trying to do wet on wet, solo, would be very stressful. Since I'm in a tropical climate, wet on wet is usually not possible (except for something like double taping a chine or transom seam) because the poxy kicks too fast. Typically I only work 3 or 6 oz at a time. On the plus side, the next day you're ready to go back with the next layer after a quick hit with the flapper disk on the grinder. :D At any rate, even two hours a day gets the job done faster than you think!

Sounds like a good system there Ross, and you are right as long as you keep chipping away at it, the finish line will appear.

slippa

AussieBoater
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by AussieBoater »

I've created this graphic to go on the boat... gotta have a brand label... :D
Paul - located at