Robs PH18 new question page 11

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Robs PH18

Post by Uncle D »

gstanfield wrote:That's true on the small 4 strokes under 40hp. On the larger sizes (40 and up) they are different engines
Thanks for clearing that up George. I think my buddy had a 40 hp tiller.

The pics make the shear look as though it's taller then shorter but its got to be an allusion, although that might look really cool.

nc_robbie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nc_robbie »

Thanks for all the info I have one more small update, bulkhead E in place taped and ready…only 4 to go this is my least favorite part of the project glassing all the boxes but should be done this week…photos to follow …and by the way fill up my beer glass I will need it after all this bending over…
Rob

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Pass along any tricks you may come across as you epoxy those boxes.
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

SmokyMountain
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by SmokyMountain »

Looks great Rob!!
I have always been a fan of the merc but the etech looks good and the price in the Suzuki looks good too…so many choices
Rob,

I chose a Suzuki 90hp 4-stroke mainly because of price, weight and recommendation from a couple of marine mechanics I know. For me it basically came down between a Yammie and a Suzuki . I have a 115 optimax on my current boat which has works great, but their just really heavy compared to other brands.

I'm a few months a head of you....glassing the boxes was worse than fairing the bottom 8O .

Casey the only trick to glassing the boxes is taking Advil before you start :lol: .

Looking forward to watching your build.

Andrew

nc_robbie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nc_robbie »

Thanks for the advice Tom, I have never owned a Suzuki but would be open to it. I think Suzuki has a good reputation…did you buy yours locally? Weight is not a concern for me, I know when its done I will be on the heavy side and I am ok with that. 8) 8) 8)

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Advil. Check.
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27

nc_robbie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nc_robbie »

Small update, bulkheads C and D are in thank goodness this part is almost over its still my least favorite part of the build. Tonight the temps were in the lower 50’s so I had an extended pot life otherwise I would not have attempted to throw so much glass in one night. Still thinking outboards…
Rob

SmokyMountain
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by SmokyMountain »

Thanks for the advice Tom, I have never owned a Suzuki but would be open to it. I think Suzuki has a good reputation…did you buy yours locally? Weight is not a concern for me, I know when its done I will be on the heavy side and I am ok with that.
I'm Andrew (Smokymountain) :lol: . I bought mine locally when they had their spring rebate going. I contacted a few dealers got quotes, and then negotiated. Boats.net has some great prices but won't ship anything above 40hp :x because of warranty issues.

Andrew

nc_robbie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nc_robbie »

Sorry Andrew Tom is my Father-in-law, I guess its all the fumes…lol. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rob

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

I'm going to start using that excuse with my wife. "Honey, It was the fumes!"