Robs PH18 new question page 11

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
nc_robbie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Robs PH18

Post by nc_robbie »

Outboard pricing
I am starting to get estimates on outboards and so far they all sound a little high to me but western nc is not the best place to buy an outboard….prices are with controls cables and put on with an similar aluminum prop….please me me know what you think….thanks Rob
90 hp 4 stroke
Honda 10,800
Yam 10,400
Merc 8,400
Etech 8,500 (2 stroke)
Suzuki 8,800
:doh: :doh: :doh:

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Man, those prices are high Robbie 8O Our local Bass Pro shop (Savannah) has that same Mercury listed for $5598. Probably about the same in Atlanta.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... te=repower

Edit: That link above you will first have to find your closest store, then look at outboards :doh:

You can buy Teleflex controls on Ebay for about $250, and about that much more for a good prop. None of the engine prices include a prop, so you can spend $100 to $500 there, depending on what kind you get.

One of our local Yamaha dealers is not showing a 90 in stock, but is listing a 150 hp for $9999.
http://www.custom-marine.com/custompage3.asp?pg=motor

They have the 90 Suzuki listed at $7161. These are just list prices, they will come down substantially from what they publish.
http://www.custom-marine.com/new_vehicl ... mit=Search

Some local dealers still have some 2 stroke 90 Yamahas left for around $5500.

To save 2 or 3 thousand, I'd make some phone calls and drive a few miles :wink: These are just 2 quick examples I came up with, There are better deals than that to be had. Boat and motor dealers are hungry!

This is another local dealer that usually has good prices http://www.lockwoodmarine.com/about-us.html
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

nc_robbie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nc_robbie »

Thanks for the info larry i may need to take a trip to savannah...wonder what the wife would think??? I have a few days off next week so i will spend a little more time looking at outboards then...i still have lots to do but i think in the next few weeks she will be in the water.... :!:
Do you know how hard it would be to hook up a new outboard? does it have to be programed before it will start???....some years ago i got a new merc crate to boat to water in 4hrs...
Thanks again Rob

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff »

You might check Eds Marine superstore.You can find the link on Google. They have some awsome prices. :D
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff »

Capt. Ken Owens

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff »

I just went on the Hull Truth website. Their are numerous complaints about Eds Superstore. Yes you get good prices. Their service sucks. The Better Business Bureau has numerous complaints and Eds won't even aknowledge them. One of the complainers said if you dicker with your local dealer you can usually get the motor of choice for within $100 or less than Eds prices. More than eds not less. :doh:
Capt. Ken Owens

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff »

Google Eds Marine Store complaints. Good read.
Capt. Ken Owens

Steven

Post by Steven »

Wow. Lots of info there. My father bought a 16' Carolia Skiff with a 25 hp Suzuki last year. It was strictly a price purchase and bare bones. He wanted it for running around the creek and river when he didn't feel like running the big boat. He's done all the rigging himself. He didn't have any problems with the purchase, but it was a minimal cash deal. From the reports, I'd probably only consider that type of purchase from them to get the best price with no intention of ever using them for service.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk »

That's the route I was planning on going. I already purchased the software and cable to interface my pc with the engine's computer to do the initial set up and to pull any codes it throws that i cant pick up with the gauges.

That, and the Evinrude forum, along with the Mfg's parts and maintenance manuals should cut out the dealer for some time. I have already been researching what to expect for its first 300 hour scheduled maintenance. However, I have a dealer up in OKC that will do work on it just in case. I'm up there pretty often.
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

nc_robbie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nc_robbie »

Small update, got the supplies I ordered from bateau and let me say it was super fast. I am not a butt kisser but once again the boys at bateau have delivered…I think next week I will put in the floor, started on the cleats, gas tank cradle, and some expansion foam today…as for power I think I have something in the works… :D
Rob