Robs PH18 new question page 11

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Robs PH18

Post by flyfishingmonk »

Nice
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

I have the 115 Ficht (the predecessor to the E-Tec) and I love it. Never a hint of trouble and unless I have it pinned it sips gas. I only have to fill up the oil tank once, once a second time in September and we are out almost every weekend (or at least up until last fall when I pulled it to store while I build my Phantom)

Cheers,

Mark
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Rob, where are you at now on your build?? Don

nc_robbie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nc_robbie »

Thanks for asking Don I have had her in the water late summer till now. The body is still a bit rough and I used house paint but I wanted to take her out before the winter cold arrives…so my plan for now is to sand off the house paint finish up the body finish up the cockpit add a swim ladder, rod holders, cooler and be ready for spring. Then in the spring I am going to rework my homemade trailer for longer road trips to the coast. I have wanted to post some pics but I don’t want to disrespect the designer by posting pics of such a heavily modified vessel. A good friend is retired aviation architect designer and helped me come up with a different cockpit layout that allows me to have dual consoles and 8inches more free board. As far as performance I have been very happy the Suzuki 90 4 stroke very good on gas tops out in the 40’s and will run all day in the lower 30’s at 3000-3500 rpms. I was able to buy several cheap al props that were being discounted so I have played around with them and think the 13 1/4x19 performs well so one day I may switch to stainless...please feel free to ask any questions I will be happy to answer them (may take a few days if working) Rob :D

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Rob, I went back over your build thread. I am going to have to do as you did regarding your trailer, specifically the axle. I will be limited on width where I am going to park the boat. I am also going to have to tuck the wheels under hull. Thanks for your response above. Don

nc_robbie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nc_robbie »

Yea my trailer is country boy engineering at its finest, I was able to put it together for just a few dollars in scrap metal, don’t forget to throw in a welding rod or two, some paint and pretty she is not but it gets the job done….

Thanks for all the messages related to my ph, I am considering placing some pics does anything think the designer will mind, I dont want to take away from his design or be disrespectful by posting a modified design…. Thanks Rob :?:

nc_robbie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nc_robbie »

just posted some new pics shes rough and the ob is off sanding will start next week....Rob

nc_robbie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nc_robbie »

It has been a while since I have posted an update so here goes. I put the boat in the water and ran her late summer till just a few weeks ago. Over all I am very happy with the performance of the boat and the suzuki90 4stroke, I did all the installation my self and all went well. The ph works out well for a lake boat goes over shallow sandbars, rocks, stumps etc with ease. I have had a few bass boats try to follow me up into the fingers and shallow bays most kicked up a lot of mud and one got stuck and asked me to pull him out. As for pulling a skier I did not have any problems only thing with a 200lb-er on skies you can feel the stern slide slightly if the skier cuts hard but its not enough to cause any problems . I guess with the low weight and light horse power she does not throw much of a wake when on a plain so that was disappointing when pulling a wake boarder/knee boarder (not much jumping) but this hull was not designed for water sports and does perform well at them all things considered. I plan to use this boat for 80percent fishing 10percent water sports and 10percent riding. I have taken the outboard off and put it up for the winter while I finish out the body and interior, hope to be done by April. The body is rough and I have many paint runs and uneven color I mixed several cans together and got a darkish green. Started sanding off the house paint today I plan to take the next week and sand then bring the body up to speed repaint…I am still on the wall as to what paint to use but that green kind of grew on me so think I will stay green…I have posted some photos in my gallery. Hope to have some updated photos soon commits are welcome.
Rob

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Rob, you'll have to set a link, I can't find your gallery. Don

nc_robbie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nc_robbie »

Small update, took the finders off the trailer and started cutting them down. I spent an hour or so sanding tonight slowly but surely its coming together….house paint is much tougher then it use to be….Rob

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=34332