Page 1 of 1

Robs PH18 new question page 11

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:41 pm
by nc_robbie
Update, I have not been able to wet sand the graphite bottom yet, I tried in the rain but the lightning ran me inside…figures free water and the electric and no way to use it….more photos will be loaded soon…thanks Rob

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage ... 4332&pos=2

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage ... 4332&pos=1

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage ... 4332&pos=0

http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... _boat3.JPG

Re: Robs PH18

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:45 pm
by tech_support
Is there a reason to sand the graphite? I recommend against it unless you have a bad run or drip.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:52 pm
by nc_robbie
I do have a few runs and many many bugs....next time i will leave the door closed and the light off when i am done, most of the bugs seem to be on the surface and i think a light sanding will take care of them... :D
Rob

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:16 pm
by tech_support
That makes sense then. I thought maybe you were trying to polish the epoxy graphite 8O it powders up.

I would not bother with the wet sanding, I would just hit it with 150 or 220 grit, then apply a last coat. Last coat can be lower % on the graphite so it will lay out better.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:16 pm
by nc_robbie
Thanks for the advice i will post some photos when i get it sanded and the last coat on....then the big flip so the real work will start...
Rob

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:04 pm
by whosmatt
I sanded mine wet because my paper kept gumming up. If there's no gumming, there's no reason to sand wet. It'll never be shinier than it is when it first goes down. As for the bugs, let's just say I'll never be alone in the boat :P For some reason, they LOVE the black epoxy.

-M

Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:46 am
by nc_robbie
I have a small update, I sanded the graphite bottom and recoated it, used 22%graphite by volume. I knew that it would be hard but I did not think it would be as hard as it was holy cow. I started with 220 but was getting nowhere fast so I switched to 120…I think I had to use my ros for a decade just to scratch the surface with 120 but its done now. I will post some photos when it dries (hopefully bug free)…. If all goes well I plan to Flip Saturday…. Rob :D

Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:10 am
by Uncle D
Glad to see you started your thread. I plan on the graphite too. Thinking I'll hang the cheep plastic drop and use lots of bug spray.

A buddy told me to wet down the floor with water before painting to keep the dust off but I think he was mostly referring to spraying, but I don't think it would hurt either way.

Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:28 pm
by nc_robbie
That would be a good idea the bugs love the graphite epoxy. I put down my first coat took photos opened the garage door and went to bed in the morning it was covered, my wife asked me if I had stopped working on the boat and started a Venus fly trap experiment…. I found that sifting the graphite made it mix smoother the first batch I tried to mix it without sifting and I had to mix and mix then pick out some small clumps …. :D
Rob

Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:16 pm
by Uncle D
nc_robbie wrote: I found that sifting the graphite made it mix smoother the first batch I tried to mix it without sifting and I had to mix and mix then pick out some small clumps
I'll keep that in mind. For the last month or so I've been fairing. bottom is good except for a few minor pits and grooves to fill. Trying really hard to get the sheer fair and smooth for primer. Then glue on strake and Graphite!!! :D :D

Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:47 pm
by Prarie Dog
nc_robbie wrote:I have a small update, I sanded the graphite bottom and recoated it, used 22%graphite by volume. I knew that it would be hard but I did not think it would be as hard as it was holy cow. I started with 220 but was getting nowhere fast so I switched to 120…I think I had to use my ros for a decade just to scratch the surface with 120 but its done now. I will post some photos when it dries (hopefully bug free)…. If all goes well I plan to Flip Saturday…. Rob :D
Great post Robbie, It's funny when you read about graphite/epoxy and see stuff that goes like--it's sheet iron, tougher than steel, hard as diamonds--etc. etc.. You tend to think yeah whatever it must be pretty good. About 10 seconds after you hit the stuff with a sander your brain moves from the hypothetical to the practial and goes "holy crap". :help:

Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:43 pm
by nc_robbie
Weekend update, she is flipped……and my homemade boat is on my homemade trailer pics soon to follow…how sweet life is……………. And by the way only a few bugs in the graphite epoxy bottom so like its been said I will never be fishing alone…. :D :D :D :D :D :D
Rob

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:49 am
by flyfishingmonk
Hey you started your thread! I was just about to ask when you were starting it. I look forward to the pics. And thanks for sharing the info on the graphite.

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:59 pm
by nc_robbie
I snapped a few photos of the ph18, or as my 3year calls her jenny I wonder what he’s been watching, and my homemade trailer. Now that the flip is done and the inside in underway its time to start thinking about power options I have always been a fan of the merc but the etech looks good and the price in the Suzuki looks good too…so many choices

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage ... 4332&pos=0
http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage ... 4332&pos=1
http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage ... 4332&pos=2
http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... G_0556.JPG
http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... G_0555.JPG
http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... G_0554.JPG

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:27 am
by flyfishingmonk
Looking good! I'm powering mine with an eTec but I know their are several guys here that have had great success with Yammys and they really like em. So that may be one to add to the list of considerations as well.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:03 am
by cottontop
Your boat is looking great. I really like your homemade trailer. Looking forward to more pics. John

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:55 am
by Uncle D
From all I've heard the Tohatsu is a Merc at a much better price and folks here say there about bullet proof.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:07 pm
by gstanfield
That's true on the small 4 strokes under 40hp. On the larger sizes (40 and up) they are different engines

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:19 pm
by Doc_Dyer

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:46 pm
by tobolamr
Okay, I'm jealous! Looking good! Keep up the great work!

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:04 pm
by Uncle D
gstanfield wrote:That's true on the small 4 strokes under 40hp. On the larger sizes (40 and up) they are different engines
Thanks for clearing that up George. I think my buddy had a 40 hp tiller.

The pics make the shear look as though it's taller then shorter but its got to be an allusion, although that might look really cool.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:02 am
by nc_robbie
Thanks for all the info I have one more small update, bulkhead E in place taped and ready…only 4 to go this is my least favorite part of the project glassing all the boxes but should be done this week…photos to follow …and by the way fill up my beer glass I will need it after all this bending over…
Rob

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:50 am
by flyfishingmonk
Pass along any tricks you may come across as you epoxy those boxes.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:41 am
by SmokyMountain
Looks great Rob!!
I have always been a fan of the merc but the etech looks good and the price in the Suzuki looks good too…so many choices
Rob,

I chose a Suzuki 90hp 4-stroke mainly because of price, weight and recommendation from a couple of marine mechanics I know. For me it basically came down between a Yammie and a Suzuki . I have a 115 optimax on my current boat which has works great, but their just really heavy compared to other brands.

I'm a few months a head of you....glassing the boxes was worse than fairing the bottom 8O .

Casey the only trick to glassing the boxes is taking Advil before you start :lol: .

Looking forward to watching your build.

Andrew

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:55 am
by nc_robbie
Thanks for the advice Tom, I have never owned a Suzuki but would be open to it. I think Suzuki has a good reputation…did you buy yours locally? Weight is not a concern for me, I know when its done I will be on the heavy side and I am ok with that. 8) 8) 8)

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:51 am
by flyfishingmonk
Advil. Check.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:53 pm
by nc_robbie
Small update, bulkheads C and D are in thank goodness this part is almost over its still my least favorite part of the build. Tonight the temps were in the lower 50’s so I had an extended pot life otherwise I would not have attempted to throw so much glass in one night. Still thinking outboards…
Rob

Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:42 am
by SmokyMountain
Thanks for the advice Tom, I have never owned a Suzuki but would be open to it. I think Suzuki has a good reputation…did you buy yours locally? Weight is not a concern for me, I know when its done I will be on the heavy side and I am ok with that.
I'm Andrew (Smokymountain) :lol: . I bought mine locally when they had their spring rebate going. I contacted a few dealers got quotes, and then negotiated. Boats.net has some great prices but won't ship anything above 40hp :x because of warranty issues.

Andrew

Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:47 am
by nc_robbie
Sorry Andrew Tom is my Father-in-law, I guess its all the fumes…lol. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rob

Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:46 pm
by flyfishingmonk
I'm going to start using that excuse with my wife. "Honey, It was the fumes!"

Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:53 pm
by nc_robbie
Outboard pricing
I am starting to get estimates on outboards and so far they all sound a little high to me but western nc is not the best place to buy an outboard….prices are with controls cables and put on with an similar aluminum prop….please me me know what you think….thanks Rob
90 hp 4 stroke
Honda 10,800
Yam 10,400
Merc 8,400
Etech 8,500 (2 stroke)
Suzuki 8,800
:doh: :doh: :doh:

Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:36 pm
by Cracker Larry
Man, those prices are high Robbie 8O Our local Bass Pro shop (Savannah) has that same Mercury listed for $5598. Probably about the same in Atlanta.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... te=repower

Edit: That link above you will first have to find your closest store, then look at outboards :doh:

You can buy Teleflex controls on Ebay for about $250, and about that much more for a good prop. None of the engine prices include a prop, so you can spend $100 to $500 there, depending on what kind you get.

One of our local Yamaha dealers is not showing a 90 in stock, but is listing a 150 hp for $9999.
http://www.custom-marine.com/custompage3.asp?pg=motor

They have the 90 Suzuki listed at $7161. These are just list prices, they will come down substantially from what they publish.
http://www.custom-marine.com/new_vehicl ... mit=Search

Some local dealers still have some 2 stroke 90 Yamahas left for around $5500.

To save 2 or 3 thousand, I'd make some phone calls and drive a few miles :wink: These are just 2 quick examples I came up with, There are better deals than that to be had. Boat and motor dealers are hungry!

This is another local dealer that usually has good prices http://www.lockwoodmarine.com/about-us.html

Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:29 am
by nc_robbie
Thanks for the info larry i may need to take a trip to savannah...wonder what the wife would think??? I have a few days off next week so i will spend a little more time looking at outboards then...i still have lots to do but i think in the next few weeks she will be in the water.... :!:
Do you know how hard it would be to hook up a new outboard? does it have to be programed before it will start???....some years ago i got a new merc crate to boat to water in 4hrs...
Thanks again Rob

Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:13 am
by stickystuff
You might check Eds Marine superstore.You can find the link on Google. They have some awsome prices. :D

Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:16 am
by stickystuff

Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:36 am
by stickystuff
I just went on the Hull Truth website. Their are numerous complaints about Eds Superstore. Yes you get good prices. Their service sucks. The Better Business Bureau has numerous complaints and Eds won't even aknowledge them. One of the complainers said if you dicker with your local dealer you can usually get the motor of choice for within $100 or less than Eds prices. More than eds not less. :doh:

Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:37 am
by stickystuff
Google Eds Marine Store complaints. Good read.

Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:39 am
by Steven
Wow. Lots of info there. My father bought a 16' Carolia Skiff with a 25 hp Suzuki last year. It was strictly a price purchase and bare bones. He wanted it for running around the creek and river when he didn't feel like running the big boat. He's done all the rigging himself. He didn't have any problems with the purchase, but it was a minimal cash deal. From the reports, I'd probably only consider that type of purchase from them to get the best price with no intention of ever using them for service.

Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:04 am
by flyfishingmonk
That's the route I was planning on going. I already purchased the software and cable to interface my pc with the engine's computer to do the initial set up and to pull any codes it throws that i cant pick up with the gauges.

That, and the Evinrude forum, along with the Mfg's parts and maintenance manuals should cut out the dealer for some time. I have already been researching what to expect for its first 300 hour scheduled maintenance. However, I have a dealer up in OKC that will do work on it just in case. I'm up there pretty often.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:22 am
by nc_robbie
Small update, got the supplies I ordered from bateau and let me say it was super fast. I am not a butt kisser but once again the boys at bateau have delivered…I think next week I will put in the floor, started on the cleats, gas tank cradle, and some expansion foam today…as for power I think I have something in the works… :D
Rob

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:17 am
by flyfishingmonk
Nice

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:44 am
by MarkOrge
I have the 115 Ficht (the predecessor to the E-Tec) and I love it. Never a hint of trouble and unless I have it pinned it sips gas. I only have to fill up the oil tank once, once a second time in September and we are out almost every weekend (or at least up until last fall when I pulled it to store while I build my Phantom)

Cheers,

Mark

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:48 am
by Uncle D
Rob, where are you at now on your build?? Don

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:44 am
by nc_robbie
Thanks for asking Don I have had her in the water late summer till now. The body is still a bit rough and I used house paint but I wanted to take her out before the winter cold arrives…so my plan for now is to sand off the house paint finish up the body finish up the cockpit add a swim ladder, rod holders, cooler and be ready for spring. Then in the spring I am going to rework my homemade trailer for longer road trips to the coast. I have wanted to post some pics but I don’t want to disrespect the designer by posting pics of such a heavily modified vessel. A good friend is retired aviation architect designer and helped me come up with a different cockpit layout that allows me to have dual consoles and 8inches more free board. As far as performance I have been very happy the Suzuki 90 4 stroke very good on gas tops out in the 40’s and will run all day in the lower 30’s at 3000-3500 rpms. I was able to buy several cheap al props that were being discounted so I have played around with them and think the 13 1/4x19 performs well so one day I may switch to stainless...please feel free to ask any questions I will be happy to answer them (may take a few days if working) Rob :D

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:32 am
by Uncle D
Rob, I went back over your build thread. I am going to have to do as you did regarding your trailer, specifically the axle. I will be limited on width where I am going to park the boat. I am also going to have to tuck the wheels under hull. Thanks for your response above. Don

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:53 pm
by nc_robbie
Yea my trailer is country boy engineering at its finest, I was able to put it together for just a few dollars in scrap metal, don’t forget to throw in a welding rod or two, some paint and pretty she is not but it gets the job done….

Thanks for all the messages related to my ph, I am considering placing some pics does anything think the designer will mind, I dont want to take away from his design or be disrespectful by posting a modified design…. Thanks Rob :?:

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:10 pm
by nc_robbie
just posted some new pics shes rough and the ob is off sanding will start next week....Rob

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:45 pm
by nc_robbie
It has been a while since I have posted an update so here goes. I put the boat in the water and ran her late summer till just a few weeks ago. Over all I am very happy with the performance of the boat and the suzuki90 4stroke, I did all the installation my self and all went well. The ph works out well for a lake boat goes over shallow sandbars, rocks, stumps etc with ease. I have had a few bass boats try to follow me up into the fingers and shallow bays most kicked up a lot of mud and one got stuck and asked me to pull him out. As for pulling a skier I did not have any problems only thing with a 200lb-er on skies you can feel the stern slide slightly if the skier cuts hard but its not enough to cause any problems . I guess with the low weight and light horse power she does not throw much of a wake when on a plain so that was disappointing when pulling a wake boarder/knee boarder (not much jumping) but this hull was not designed for water sports and does perform well at them all things considered. I plan to use this boat for 80percent fishing 10percent water sports and 10percent riding. I have taken the outboard off and put it up for the winter while I finish out the body and interior, hope to be done by April. The body is rough and I have many paint runs and uneven color I mixed several cans together and got a darkish green. Started sanding off the house paint today I plan to take the next week and sand then bring the body up to speed repaint…I am still on the wall as to what paint to use but that green kind of grew on me so think I will stay green…I have posted some photos in my gallery. Hope to have some updated photos soon commits are welcome.
Rob

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:42 am
by Uncle D
Rob, you'll have to set a link, I can't find your gallery. Don

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:04 pm
by nc_robbie
Small update, took the finders off the trailer and started cutting them down. I spent an hour or so sanding tonight slowly but surely its coming together….house paint is much tougher then it use to be….Rob

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=34332

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:11 am
by Uncle D
Rob, went to your gallery. Your mods look very nice. I know I don't have enough imagination to do anything like that. Glad for this forum for ideas. I've gotten inspiration from Steven to build my own leaning post/seat/livewell. Right now I have started cutting cardboard mock ups. Same with strakes and reverse chines, all coming together from other builders ideas.

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:04 pm
by chopperman
Rob, Nice design on your Phantom. That's the cool thing about this hull. You can do a flats boat, ski boat or bass boat. Thanks for the performance report :!: It's good to know what a 90 HP Yamaha will do 8) How deep was your draft?

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:44 pm
by nc_robbie
Thanks for all the positive commits, I am not sure as to how much water she draws but its shallow, I have been places bass boats cant get in. Most of the lakes in western nc are finger lakes with lots of coves and finger creeks or valleys, and many fish lay in the shallow finger areas that are hard to get to, many downed trees stumps etc…but the ph will go in and when I break out the push pole we can get over stumps that are 8-10inches under the surface no problem….one negative is that it does not do well in chop over a foot or so will beat the heck out of you if you don’t slow down….
Tonight’s update, more sanding and scraped the silicone out of the outboard mounting holes. The holes are intact and no water entered the transom so must have been coated enough….trailer finders put back on and ready for springs overall I am thinking of scraping my cut barrels for a more traditional finder, now its back to work for an extended rotation next chance to work on the boat will be thrs next week…Rob :D

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:19 pm
by chopperman
If you're making it over stumps that are 8 to 10" under the surface, that's great :lol: You should have no problems reaching the fish in the shallows :wink:

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:42 pm
by nc_robbie
Yea with a good push stick no problems clearing rocks, stumps etc….and with graphite on the bottom sliding over downed trees etc no problem and the stuff stands up well to beaching it on rocky areas…Rob

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:58 pm
by flyfishingmonk
Thanks for the update. I like how you tackled your build, used the boat, and are now going back to finish her out. Very cool.

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:50 pm
by nc_robbie
I have a small update:
I have grown to hate sanding, and who knew house paint was so tough, but I am counting to sand on my off work days (still sanding the stern)…. Does any one have any advice on a swim platform ? I would like to build one, for some reason I don’t want to put a plastic on the back of a boat I built…any ideas greatly appreciated Rob….and thanks for all the commits to date

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:58 am
by Cracker Larry
You could build one like mine, but make the platform from teak instead of starboard. I intend to replace this one with wood, one day :D I'm not big on plastic either.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:04 pm
by nc_robbie
Thanks for the pic Larry, I like that (swim platform) and think teak or black locust would work great. What are the approximate measurements? I think I could use some left over aluminum and black locust, or make the whole thing out of aluminum…so much to consider… Rob :doh:

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:25 pm
by nc_robbie
Well folks I am back it again. After a few months off I have resumed my build with the intentions of painting the first of April (in the water April 15)...so for now I am doing a few touchup body work items that I never got around to doing last summer, I also was able to get a teak swim platform that I have refinished and hope to have in place in time for ski/tube season….I will post some photos after the big paint….its good to be back in the game! Rob 8) 8) 8)

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:05 am
by flyfishingmonk
Awesome. We are looking forward to seeing it.

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:02 pm
by nc_robbie
Small update, pulled it out today and did a quick 320 sanding and a degreasing wash…..may paint week after next….funny thing found today when I was cleaning it out after sitting in the garage all winter a mouse made her a home, yuck so I guess I need to inspect all wiring for chewing….Rob :doh:

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:59 am
by Uncle D
Glad top see your back at it Robbie. I had a mouse problem in my shop till I bought the De-con pellets. I toss a few bags around on the upper shelves. I have to be careful because of my little dogs.

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:46 am
by nc_robbie
yea don I will surely put out some next year, its big for a mouse nest may be a chipmunk….i think they came in looking for my wife’s bird seed…. That’s the price of living the woods!!! :doh:

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:35 pm
by nc_robbie
Small update, I have a few small areas to sand then I will begin paint prep. I think I will need 3 days of paint and sanding, I will post some pics when done hopefully by the weekend….i am still thinking I will be back in the water by April 15….Rob :D

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:00 pm
by nc_robbie
Update, I sprayed some paint today, overall for a first coat it’s ok, few runs, and lower coverage areas here and there. I ran a little low on paint but it’s the first of 3 or 4 coats so I think it will work out fine. I still think I will be back in the water by April 15ish….now I have to spray the first coat on the console with time I will get it done…..now for the 6400dollar question, the admiral says we have to put down carpet, I am against this but the nonskid wrecks havoc on the little ones knees, so I was thinking of an exterior area rug, or mechanics type mat that can be put in and taken out easily, if anyone has any experience in this area I would love to hear from you… Rob

http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... 282%29.jpg
http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... 282%29.jpg
http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... _other.jpg

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:09 am
by chopperman
Looks beautiful with paint 8)

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:17 am
by Uncle D
Very nice Rob :!: :!:

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:37 pm
by nc_robbie
Thanks chopperman and don for the positive feedback…..i look forward to posting some action shots, and tube dragging/pulling, I will keep the board updated….Rob :D :D :D

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:34 pm
by tobolamr
She's looking good!

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:43 pm
by Doc_Dyer

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:49 pm
by peter-curacao
Very very nice 8) I like the angled hull deck connection (sorry don't know the term :oops: ) that is not as per plans is it?

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:02 pm
by nc_robbie
Thanks for all the feedback and yes the peter deck the connection angle is not in the plan, (have come to call it the cap). My neighbor is a retired aviation designer and he loves assisting in projects like this so its his idea, at first I was not sure I would like it but its grown on me now and I do like the modification. I cant wait to get her back in the water, but this is my week to work so I will not get a lot done….Rob :D :) :D :)

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:44 pm
by nc_robbie
Small update: sanding the consoles complete, may try to spray tomorrow if weather holds out, if I get it sprayed I will try and post some pics before the weekend….Rob :D

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:49 am
by flyfishingmonk
Wow it's looking really good Rob.

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:37 pm
by nc_robbie
Small update on my build, I have wet sanded and sprayed my second coat. I am running about two weeks behind (work, sick, sick kids, sick wife, etc)…so I am thinking she will be back in the water before May first. Once again thanks for all the support and commits photos later this weekend…Rob :D

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:15 pm
by peter-curacao
Man that's sick! :P

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:50 pm
by nc_robbie
I have an update to my build, I have completed my 3ed round of spraying so all but some touch up I am done with the spray gun (finally). I hope to start my re-rigging Friday or later next week, so I am thinking next weekend I will be back in the water. I will post some photos as soon as the gallery is back up!!!!!!!! Rob

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:22 pm
by nc_robbie
Update to my build, I have completed the third coat of paint and am set to start re-rigging Friday morning. I hope to be back in the water late this weekend or next week after work, I will post some action shots soon…

http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... t_side.jpg

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:15 pm
by Doc_Dyer

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:11 pm
by nc_robbie
I started re-rigging today, outboard will go on tomorrow, and with the forum update I have been able to upload some older photos that would not upload before….Rob

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:12 pm
by peter-curacao
That's funny, can I say hi my fellow islander? 8)

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:15 pm
by nc_robbie
Outboard on, started and ran first crank….more pics and updates to come…. and thanks Peter not sure about the island thing but it sounds good, especially when winter winds blow and snow piles up…Rob

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:42 pm
by peter-curacao
nc_robbie wrote:and thanks Peter not sure about the island thing but it sounds good,
Wink wink look at the registration numbers that's why I made the remark 8)

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:07 pm
by nc_robbie
peter i see now....guess i filled out my ID 10 T one too many times....

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:15 pm
by peter-curacao
nc_robbie wrote:peter i see now....guess i filled out my ID 10 T one too many times....
LOL :lol: I thought it was funny, were does the NC in your area stand for? all the boat numbers on Curaçao starts with NC 8)

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:12 pm
by Cracker Larry
Peter, his NC stands for North Carolina.

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:59 pm
by nc_robbie
Yep North Carolina, so Peter do you want to trade locations lets say September through May…you can throw some snow and do a little skiing, and I will sit out on the beach….let me know lol….Rob

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:17 pm
by peter-curacao
nc_robbie wrote:Yep North Carolina, so Peter do you want to trade locations lets say September through May…you can throw some snow and do a little skiing, and I will sit out on the beach….let me know lol….Rob
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:43 am
by nc_robbie
Weekend update, I have been working on the rigging, but its taken longer than I was hoping who knew it could eat up so much time dragging wire in a boat….but the tach, speedo, gas, nav lights, 12v outlet, bilge pumps x2, etc are all ready to go…so I guess I could hit the water any time, maybe I need to take a sick day….action shots coming soon when shes wet again…Rob

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:44 pm
by nc_robbie
Its been a while since I have posted, been out on the boat…kinda funny that the help and support forum is the first to suffer when your done….I will try to take some photos this weekend….Rob

Phone gps says this it 45-47mph…..if so shes faster then I was hoping….Rob
http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... 7-1140.jpg

http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... 7-1151.jpg

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:50 pm
by Doc_Dyer

Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:09 pm
by nc_robbie
Just a few action shots, one of the wake and one of the spray being deflected downward. So far this year and last I have put almost 200hours total on my Suzuki 90. Wow how the hours add up fast, but I must say that I have been happy with the boat and the Suzuki. The only complaints would be the boat is light and does not throw a large wake to jump on a tube but the saving on gas more than makes up for that…Rob

Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:24 pm
by Cracker Larry
Nice 8)

Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:26 pm
by nc_robbie
thanks for posting that larry ipad has my eyes crossed.... :D

Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:37 am
by peter-curacao
nc_robbie wrote: The only complaints would be the boat is light and does not throw a large wake to jump on a tube but the saving on gas more than makes up for that…Rob
Maybe you can use something like this for those times you wanna tube ride?
http://www.wakemakers.com/wakeboard-ballast-bags

Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:27 pm
by nc_robbie
wow what an idea peter....i may look into something like that but for now wake or no wake its all good with the kids and less than 6 gallons a day to play is good with me….. :D

Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:40 pm
by nc_robbie
Kid washing down “his boat” after 2 weeks in the water….oh well it will not stay clean long, and she will go back in the lake Sunday and with the water warming up I am sure we will start hunting the cats before long….Rob :D

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:52 am
by Doc_Dyer
what prop do you have and what are your performance numbers?

interested since SmokyMountain (Andrew) has the same motor and a PH18

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:19 pm
by nc_robbie
Sometime back I found a sale on turning point al props, they were being discounted so for something like 50bucks a prop I invested in 3 of them and 2 hubs (30 bucks)….off the top of my head I think I have a 13 1/4x 17, 13 1/4 x19, and a 13 1/4 x21…. All of the props I have used had great out of the hole and acceleration …… 13 1/4 x19 is the prop I use the most it tops out at 42-3 mph at 5500rpm and pulls up a skier with ease…..and the 21 tops out at 45-7 mph 5500rpm but it take it a bit longer to pull up a large skier…and the 17 take off fast but tops out in the upper 37-39 mph 5500-6000rpm and over revs easy….just numbers off the top of my head when I get home this weekend I will recheck but I know 100% the 19 worked best for me…Rob

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:32 pm
by nc_robbie
I just wanted to give a follow up posting, sorry for not posting much the last few months/weeks been on the lake. I pulled the boat out of the water today for my next 100 hour service check and much to my surprise the bottom only had patchy slime around the waterline. I was able to wash it off the graphite with only minimal effort. I would recommend anyone who is on the fence with putting graphite on the bottom just do it. As for the Suzuki df90a I am completely impressed and have been from day one, am thinking that I will put a Suzuki on my next build, the only negative is the price of the oil filter 17bucks each. At this point the only thing I would do differently would be a rubrail with the insert. Rob :D

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:00 am
by flyfishingmonk
Excellent feedback. Thank you.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:14 pm
by nc_robbie
your welcome, in my mind graphite on the bottom is worth its weight in gold, I am not sure how it would stand up to barnacles and such but slime does not stick even after over a month… Rob :D

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:43 pm
by flyfishingmonk
Larry runs his over oyster shells and it still seems to hold up. Tough stuff for sure.

Re: Robs PH18 new question page 11

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:45 am
by nc_robbie
Its been some time since I have been on bbc and I have missed it not sure why I have not kept up. Anyway Several years a go I built a PH 18 and have loved it from day one its a very functional boat and it serves my needs to a T. However its more of a coastal fishing boat verses a lake boat now and I have made some changes, so its more like a shallow water bay boat with small t top, center console, 20 gal live well heavy rubrail etc... so the next thing i want to add is a bow mount trowling motor and am lost as to the amount of thrust needed for this boat.
Thanks in advance for the advice

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:45 am
by nc_robbie
Its been some time since I have been on bbc and I have missed it not sure why I have not kept up. Anyway Several years a go I built a PH 18 and have loved it from day one its a very functional boat and it serves my needs to a T. However its more of a coastal fishing boat verses a lake boat now and I have made some changes, so its more like a shallow water bay boat with small t top, center console, 20 gal live well heavy rubrail etc... so the next thing i want to add is a bow mount trowling motor and am lost as to the amount of thrust needed for this boat.
Thanks in advance for the advice

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:51 am
by AtTheBrink
Robby, that is a great looking boat you have built. Good to see it's serving you well. As far as the a trolling motor goes, I'm surprised you waited this long! I would go with a 24 volt model and if you really want some punch get a 36 volt. I prefer MotorGuide over MinKota but that is just me, the MotorGuide will get shallower. They make 24 volt models with 75# and 84# of thrust. Either would be good on your boat. Both companies make models with auto pilot which is really cool if that's what you're looking for. Just stay away from 12 volt models. The prices might might look tempting but they won't pull your boat into a slight breeze.

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:25 am
by Dougster
I had a 24 volt Motorguide on a CC bay boat 20 years ago and it never let me down. It would punch into a breeze and limped me about a mile home once when it had to. Thumbs up on 24 volt over 12, but it's a drag having so many batteries. A good 3 bank on board charger would sure be nice.

Says nice looking boat Dougster

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:06 pm
by nc_robbie
thanks for the advise i have used a 12volt transom mount on this boat and it did not do much (it was an much older model). I think i may look into the 24 volt this fall, i have two batteries and a selector switch now so i think its doable. would i need one more battery(total of 3)? i like to have a fall back plan just incase but adding a new battery would also add more weight....thanks for all the advice Rob

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:25 pm
by Cracker Larry
I also think that anything less than 80 lbs and 24V wouldn't push that boat very well in wind or current. You will need another battery or 2, 24V is obtained by connecting 2 - 12V batteries in series. It's best if they are a matched pair.

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:40 pm
by nc_robbie
thanks for the advice Larry, so will i need 2 batteries for the trowling motor and one for starting, radio, fishfinder, lights etc....3 batteries in total....2 connected to get 24 volts for trowling and one independent to get 12 volts starting etc? :help:

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:37 pm
by Cracker Larry
Correct

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:53 pm
by nc_robbie
thanks again :D

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:02 pm
by MarkOrge
What I did on my last boat and am doing on my PH18 is 80# 24V fed by 2 group 27's. You can buy a trick little box from MinnKota that will steal power from the charging system once the starting battery is fully charged and it will divert some charge to the 2 deep cycle batteries while running.

I have a dedicated starting battery, then a stand alone group 24 deep cycle that all 12V accessories run off. On my Evinride there is an auxillary charge line which I use to charge this battery. This way:

1/ I always have a fresh battery to start the boat
2/ When fishing and using all kinds of electronics I am only draining the dedicated Aux 12V battery
3/ When running all 4 batteries get charged

Hope this helps, nice Phantom !!