FOSTER'S XF20

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
SmokyMountain
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FOSTER'S XF20

Post by SmokyMountain »

Foster

I had a layout table with 2 saw horses holding the table and 2 more sawhorses, one on each end of plywood that way I could get 2 pieces of plywood together to draw and cut. Here's a pic ... not the best example. Also, it gets you up off the ground making it more comfortable to measure / draw and cut. Measure twice, draw / redraw re-measure cut once!!!

Good luck!!

Andrew

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Nice wood. Nice *shed*. :)

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Foster, looks like your moving now. Below is a pic of the table I built to build my GF on. It's 16 x4 and has casters on one end. On the other end there is a cross member that I roll a floor jack under then jack up to move the table. It will roll very easily and is real handy when you want to move the build and clean up or if you want to move it outside to wash or wipe it down. We layed the long panels out on this table and spliced and made all the cuts on it before we assembled the boat on it. It is two feet high which makes sanding and fairing at a pretty agreeable height. We kept the hull appx. a foot forward of the back of the table to have a shelf to step on from a step stool. Made getting in and out of the build real easy. Structural guys on the forum will see I left one diagnol brace out of the middle of the table.

FOSTER
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FOSTER »

Yeah I need to find a better way to cut the wood I have been using 2X4's to lie under the plywood. Nice table you got there Prairie Dog, I need to build a table or something like that. Seth when I get off I'm going to give you a holler I'm working nights right now and have 5 more to go I really like the way your boat turned out.

I told my self when I start I'm going to work on it all the time, but now summer is coming and it's vacation time.
Brent

FOSTER
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FOSTER »

I worked on the boat when I got off this morning and managed to cut both side panels out.
Brent

FOSTER
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FOSTER »

Cut out the bottom of the hull yeasterday morning.

I am going to try and cut out the stringers when I get off at 5 a.m.

FOSTER
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FOSTER »

Stringers and tunnel are cut all I need now is to cut the bow and transom. Then I can start to assemble the hull.

Brent

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Looking good Foster. You got some nice curves on those panels, I'll try pvc the next time. :D

FOSTER
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FOSTER »

I laid out the bottom of the hull to measure for butt blocks along with the help of my two assistants.

All the butt blocks were cut and laid down on the plywood to make sure they fit with the help of my wife who gave her support while drinking a cold beer while I worked. Take notice where the fan was pointing on her and not me.

I cut the transom and the bow

I put all the stringers together to prepare for sanding until they are all the same size. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to do this?

Brent

FOSTER
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FOSTER »

When using GelMagic to glue down the butt blocks do you need to put epoxy on the wood first or can I just put GelMagic on both pieces of wood and glue them together without additional epoxy?
Brent