Tom's FS14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Tom's FS14

Post by thb »

David,
Yeh it was a steal.

The bimini is only about 40 inches tall so I have to bend over when walking around underneath it as there is only 5 ft of headroom. On the plus side of a lower height is you get more sun protection except at high noon. Other thing is front and rear seats can be fished from without interference from the top. Actually you could sit in middle seat and still fish the front and sides of the boat as I tried to get my strap clips as far back as possible so they are almost vertical rather than sloping forward and back.

Some photos

Here is a picture of my stick pin handle. Hope it meets with the approval of the stick pin anchor POLICE. :lol: :lol:

Note I got my Hull ID number engraved into the hull with my dremel via free hand method.

Waiting on my trailer parts to get her loaded on her trailer. The outfit was holding up the shipping for a week due to no stock of SS ubolts so I told them ship everything and I would get the ubolts elsewhere. IDIOTS. Why don't these websites alert buyers to zero stock and give you choices before you place your order???

Launch should happen this week sometime assuming I get her fitted nicely to the trailer.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee

Heloman78
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Heloman78 »

thb wrote:David,

I got the bimini top back in Dec thru i-boats as a special sale price of $89 including shipping. It is Westland 7-1/2 ft long by 5 ft wide and tan in color. Frame and mounting hardware was all included along with a boot. It is made of sunbrella fabric as well.

I went back to their web site a month or so ago and the same top now sells for $410 or so with sunbrella fabric, about 250 with cheaper fabric.

Either way, the deal I got was too good to pass up and rediculously cheap so I jumped on it at the time. :lol: :lol:

I will take some pictures of the boat with the top up once I get her outside and on the trailer. Need some protection from the sun down here as it seems to be getting hotter every year.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee :)
Wow! That's a great deal, I recently tried my hand at making a replacement Bimini top for my floating condo, and I can tell you I don’t think you could find all the materials that cheap if you were to make it yourself. Great job on the boat! I often think I should become a “builder,” by starting with an FS 14. I really like your colors and use of bright work!

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Tom, thanks for the info. I'm a ways off before the rub rail. Looks like a 5 or 6 inch radius is what's needed to make proper bends. :doh: Don

Seadation
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Seadation »

Hello Tom,

The bimini looks good. Lower height is fine...less wind resistance...it's really just for a little shade so yours works fine. And it is about right front/back so you can still fish.

The stick anchor looks good too. Mine (sto bought from Cabelas) came with a little sliding collar clamp with a thumb screw such that you can leave your stick in the bracket at the back of the boat and raise it up to a safe level, lock the collar, then move the boat without pulling the stick all the way out of the bracket and storing/laying it someplace in the boat so you can trip over it. I tried to find a place to store my stick anchor under the gunnel...NO GO...on 14' boats like ours there is no place without significant curve...so, for my 8' anchor, it has to basically lye out there 'in the way' if not stowed in it's bracket on the stern.

You could make a gizmo like i'm talking about by cutting a piece of sch40 pvc 3/4 dia about 1-1 1/2 inches long. Tap it for a .25" SS thumb screw. Then, you can slide it onto your anchor and lock it anywhere you want along it's length but mostly lets you leave it safely in its stern bracket whilst the boat is moving. Larger boats may not need it since they may have more places to lay the stick when not needed.

Fair winds.

/david

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

Thanks David, I will try to make a locking thingy as I like the idea of leaving it in the bracket as where else do you put it.

Heloman, the FS14 is a great little boat to start with. go for it. thanks for the compliment.

Regards

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

David,
I tried a piece of sch 40 but the ID was a little too sloppy for my 3/4 inch pole from BBC. I took a 3 inch long 2x2 hunk of scrap mahogany and drilled a 3/4 inch hole in it with a forester bit on the drill press. Then drilled and tapped a hole for a 5/16 x18 course thread SS bolt. Then coated inside of threads with super glue. Rounded off the edges with a round over bit and wo la.

Will need to carry a 1/2 inch wrench to tighten down the bolt. Was wondering if I should put a flat on the fiberglass rod so the bolt hits it in the retracted up position????

Got the trailer parts the other day and installed them yesterday. I screwed up and should have ordered the split type of roller support brackets rather than the continuous type. I could have used existing bolts and holes in the cross frames rather than having to do it with u-bolts. Now I had to go out and get some more galv u-bolts. Will try loading the boat today. I have the bunks positioned just outside the stringers. When I get some more u-bolts I can add another set of bunks near the chine.

Ready to load on trailer. got dock lines and tool box

trailer as modified with adjustable center rollers and lowered bunks

various pictures of the stick pin lock block

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee

Seadation
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Seadation »

Hello Tom,

That locking block is elegant! I may make one from wood too. It'll float so be harder to loose. Could you use a thumbscrew? Using a wrench will be unhandy. I might drill a recessed hole in the side of the block and epoxy a nut in there rather than tape threads. Your wood version definitely wins the award! Good thinking.

My boat is supported fine with 2 bunks and 3 keel rollers. It's set up now so I can back the trailer just to the water's edge, then stand on the trailer tongue next to the winch, lift the bow a little, give a mighty push and roll the boat off the trailer into the water. My trailer is basically set so that the keel rollers carry some of the boats weigh and the bunks are for side-to-side balance.

I was out fishing with my teenage daughter Tuesday in Apalach bay...we weren't out there 20 minutes when the FL DNR cops showed up. I've been fishing down here 11 years and that is the FIRST time I've ever been approached by those guys. They were nice...I think they were mostly making sure we had PFDs and cushions. And they probably wanted a closer look at my daughter's bikini. Come to think of it, the bikini is the ONLY difference in the fishing trips over the past years...YIKES! My little girl is grown up! So, I guess I better make sure I'm in full "compliance" when she comes with me... :wink:

I'll be interested to hear your performance numbers out of that Yami 15.

/david

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

David,
I decided to change out the center roller brackets yet again as I still can not get the rollers to contact the keel with the boat on the trailer. I ordered two sets of the split type of roller brackets so maybe I can also use the existing holes to mount them. I think they will give me more vertical adjustment capability.

I do not want all the weight being taken up on the bunks and your setup seems ideal for ease of launching. The forward roller touches and has plenty of adjustment capability as it moves forward and aft on the straight center section.

Been raining and storming here all day so no launch until I get this trailer sorted out. Probably be next week at this stage.

I could have used a SS thumbscrew but I didn't have one on hand but I did have the 5/16-18 SS bolt. Need a SS wrench with a lanyard to the stick pin bracket. Maybe make me one of those this weekend. What size do you need for the wood locking block as I have another piece of scrap mahogany waiting with you name on it. 3/4 in bore and 1/4-20 thread????

Funny story about getting boarded by fdnr. You are probably right about the bikini being the reason.

Here are some photos with her on the trailer.

[imghttp://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userpics/23003/IMG_0923.JPG][/img]

Regards

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

missed one photo

Seadation
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Seadation »

Looking good Tom.

Could you lower your bunks to let the rollers come into contact with the keel? I can see at least an inch of room to lower the bunks in the "missed" photo...or, will that conflict with the wheel fenders?

I don't mean to be a SmartA**, but I believe the bow eye should be rigged to fit UNDER the bow stop/roller assembly at the winch stand. Then the winch strap/cable goes UNDER the stop/roller too. For safety reasons, in a panic stop, the bow-stop will act to hold the bow of the boat down rather than allowing it to ride over and sit up in your lap. Again, with your engineering background you where probably going to do that.

The 3/4" bore piece would be great, thanks!

/david