Tom's FS14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Tom's FS14

Post by thb »

Here is picture from many months ago when fairing and sanding.

This was taken before 6 oz cloth was put on top to seal off the kevlar.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee :lol:

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

She's looking good Tom. I'd suggest getting the bottom pretty nice, but no need for perfect. Get it smooth, with sharp corners and let the graphite do the rest :wink:
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

George,
Here are a few pictures after yesterday's sanding. Alot more to do on the sides where I used tinted white epoxy for the second coat over the 6 oz cloth.

Bottom is pretty much good nuff.

In several of these pictures you can see the sharpened chines for the aft 4-1/2 ft which is the planing surface, I guessed.

Getting a lot closer though and will be ready for primer on the sides after a few more hours.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee :lol:

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Looks good to me, at least from what I can tell. It's aweful hard to do any final finish work without a coat of primer on it so you can see everything in the same color. I'd go ahead and primer it, spray a very light guide coat on it and sand from there. You may see it and declare it good enough or it may bug you enough that you sand some more :lol:

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

George,
Maybe your right. Go ahead and put primer on the bottom and see how she looks then. I have the system 3 two part high build primer so the epoxy/graphite will be ok over it, right???

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee :)

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

I see no reason why the epoxy/graphite would cause issue when used on top of an epoxy primer. I had asked that question about two years ago and was told that as long as it was a two part epoxy primer there was no reason for it to be of concern.

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D »

Tom, very good on your lift set-up. I wonder if you could have used washers or such as rollers on the U-bolts to make that strap slide better. Just thinking out loud. :doh:

"I see no reason why the epoxy/graphite would cause issue when used on top of an epoxy primer. I had asked that question about two years ago and was told that as long as it was a two part epoxy primer there was no reason for it to be of concern."

Just got off the phone with Joel on that very subject. Go for it.

Don

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

Don and George,

Thanks for the inputs. That is what I like about this forum. Great inputs and ideas.

I really like the washer idea on the u-bolts. Can put 10 to 20 washers on each u-bolt with some molly grease and she should rotate nicely. Will try it out in several weeks when flip back time arrives and post results.

I thought I had read somewhere that it was OK to put epoxy/graphite on top of 2 part epoxy primer. I just can not remember some details like I could 20 years ago, so thanks to you both for the input.

Time for more sanding, OH BOY :lol: :lol: and then some primer on sides and bottom.

Regards

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

Put down one thick layer of system 3 high build primer on the bottom and down over the chines by 6 inches or so on the weekend. Did a lot more sanding of the sides after the 6oz cloth was laid down with 2 coats of epoxy on top.

Primer was good and dry after 2 days so sanded the bottom and sides some more. Was satisfied with the fair and smoothness of the bottom so yesterday went to work with the epoxy/graphite. Mixed up 24 oz of epoxy with about 6 oz of graphite. Mixed the graphite in to the liquid in three stages. Rolled the mixture on with a west system foam roller. Did the area around the keel with a chip brush.

Got lots of little air bubbles/ bumps on the area which was rolled on. You can see this in the above photos. Of course I did not sift the graphite thru a flour sifter as I can't remember it doing this previously.

Will hit it a lick with the sander to knock down the spots and go for second coat this afternoon. Will use the vacuum festool sander for this job as that black dust is a pain.

Will do at least 2 coats and maybe three. What is everyone's preference, 2 or 3 coats???

The first coat was laid down pretty thick as I used all of the 24 oz of epoxy. Was thinking of using 18 oz for the next coat so it will be thinner.

Regards

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

Most of the guys applying graphite have at least three coats. I got similar results as you on the first coat. I managed to talk SWMBO into tipping behind me as I rolled on the second and third coat. The results were much better. Definitely use the vacuum sander. The graphite dust is a pain to clean up.

MD :wink:
Ergo piscor, ergo sum