Page 1 of 1

Jtrees CX25

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:49 pm
by Jtrees
Hello, I am getting ready to slowly start my CX25 project and figured it was time to start a thread. I have been quietly following quite a few builds on this forum for a couple of years now and finally worked up the nerve to order some plans and attempt to commit. The use of the boat will be fishing the gulfstream off of South Carolina (Mostly Isle of Palms area/Shem Creek/ or Edisto). I plan on attaching a bracket with 2 evinrude 150 etecs. But I am confused because the site says 400hp max while the plans say 300hp max. Which ever turns out to be accurate I will go with the max. I won't be able to move into our new shop yet but I figured i can go ahead and take my time cutting out many of the different pieces for the boat and the mold. I have thus far only started cutting out the different stations to build the mold out of temporary 3/4" particle board underlayment that I am polyurethaning to combat swelling from the humidity we have down here in GA. For the actual wood used for construction of the boat I was planning on 1088 Meranti from this site for all wood on the boat? Any suggestions for Meranti vs. Okume for the hull? (Excluding the transom which will be Meranti) I'm not overly concerned with WOT speeds; more concerned with strength. I know Okume is light and strong and Meranti is medium weight and strong, but "which 'strong' is stronger?" I also ran into a snag drawing out the next station (H). I will attach a picture if I can figure out how :doh: I believe I read the forum only displays 800x600 images. Is this correct? In which case I will resize them. I will also be posting pictures as I go because I enjoyed watching everyones builds so much maybe I can return the favor. Also I have no problem with feedback or suggestions for methods along the way and infact welcome it cause this will be a learning experience for me.

Happy Boat Building,
Jtrees

Re: Jtrees CX25

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:11 pm
by wej
Welcome & good luck Mr. Trees!!!

I also have the plans and drool over them often. :roll:

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:14 pm
by thb
Welcome and good luck with your build. You will get hooked.

Just a simple input on engines. Rather than twins think about a single 300 etec. It will be lighter and faster due to less drag in the water from the second engine. I know its nice to have the redundancy when way offshore but you will pay a penalty for that. Purchase price, weight, drag and fuel burn. My two cents worth,

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee :)

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:03 am
by sitandfish
Jtrees wrote:...The use of the boat will be fishing the gulfstream off of South Carolina (Mostly Isle of Palms area/Shem Creek/ or Edisto). I plan on attaching a bracket with 2 evinrude 150 etecs. But I am confused because the site says 400hp max while the plans say 300hp max...
CS25 with 300HP 4-Stroke in Carolina waters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W05kOm5 ... re=related

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:15 am
by peter-curacao
sitandfish wrote:
Jtrees wrote:...The use of the boat will be fishing the gulfstream off of South Carolina (Mostly Isle of Palms area/Shem Creek/ or Edisto). I plan on attaching a bracket with 2 evinrude 150 etecs. But I am confused because the site says 400hp max while the plans say 300hp max...
Not sure, or that one is modificated or that's not a CS 25 or maybe it's the camera angle, but the upper radius of the transom doesn't seem to be a CS, bulkhead looks different also.

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:32 am
by sitandfish
peter-curacao wrote:
sitandfish wrote:
Not sure, or that one is modificated or that's not a CS 25 or maybe it's the camera angle, but the upper radius of the transom doesn't seem to be a CS, bulkhead looks different also.
Bateau CS25 with 300hp 4-stroke:

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:35 am
by peter-curacao
Okay you are right, I think :P doesn't mean I like it :wink:

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:53 pm
by Jtrees
For the life of me I cannot figure out how to post an image. I have resized to 800x600 and tried numerous other sizes. I keep getting the response "image size cannot be determined" when I attempt to preview the post. Any specific programs to use or anything I should try?

The image my question refers to is http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pos=-38249 If someone who has built a CX25 or CS25 can take a quick look I am confused about the missing measurement I marked in the picture for station H.

Thanks,
Jason (Jtrees)

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:10 pm
by Lon
I had a problem posting it, too.

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:22 pm
by Prarie Dog
Here you go. I don't see it either. :doh:

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:35 am
by peter-curacao

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:15 am
by jki4405
Jtrees,

I just finished this boat not to long ago and as you can see from the pics above, I also went with twin 150 4 strokes. We also fish out of Charleston and im a huge fan of twins when 50 miles offshore. Our boat may have turned out a little heavier than your average cs25 but with this engine setup we could go about 49 to 51 top speed. At cruise, (3500 rpm) we would run 32 mph and get 2.2 mpg for economy. I was very happy with that. Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck and have fun.
Joel

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:01 pm
by wej
Not on mine either Jtree. :cry:

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:34 am
by tech_support
Jacques will be back this week, he will have to answer

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:56 pm
by Jtrees
Hello everyone,
Thank you for the welcoming words and help with posting my picture.

Thb, I'm gonna be stubborn about the twins over a larger single outboard. I agree completely with the weight, mpg, and drag benefits of one 300 but the redundancy in twins will let me sleep better at night. I'll just have to get up a little earlier to get to the fishing grounds ontime and get a better job so I can afford the fuel :lol:

Jki4405, I drooled over your build for quite sometime while you were posting your progress and am glad yall made it back in safe after the bracket issues. Did you end up getting an armstrong bracket? Also, thank you for the speed and fuel economy figures. They are priceless and I feel much better having an idea of range and cruising speed. I had briefly thought about squeezing in larger tanks if at all possible but no longer necessary. I'm sure ill be trying to pick your brain when I get further along in the build.

Shine, thank you, I'll wait for his measurements.

Thanks,
Jtrees

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:00 pm
by pelican1
Your drawing should show 15 3/8" according to my plans. Pel

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:33 am
by tech_support
For the actual wood used for construction of the boat I was planning on 1088 Meranti from this site for all wood on the boat? Any suggestions for Meranti vs. Okume for the hull? (Excluding the transom which will be Meranti)
Either would be a good choice. I would use Okoume for the weight difference and for bending. Its about 200 pounds (or so) difference in overall boat weight with Okoume vs. Meranti. So that is either a lighter boat with better MPG, or 20 more bags of ice or 30 somethign more gallons of fuel.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:29 pm
by Jtrees
Nothing exciting to report but I decided I needed to figure out how to post pictures and after a while I figured it out. But I have to resize them because they are getting cut off now but Im in a hurry and will fix em later. These are just a few pictures of some of the stations I have been working on so far. Sorry about the glare. I polyurethaned the pieces before cutting them to save myself from getting excess all over the floor. I will seal the edges after I cut all the stations out.

I was excited about this station cause its basically the transom shape and gave me a feel of the size (width) of the fishing area. The discoloration is from using up an old can of a different kind of poly up and finishing with a different brand. Temporary so I'll let it slide :lol:

Thanks for the input on the wood Shine and measurements Pelican.

Happy Boat Building,
Jtrees

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:17 pm
by wej
Are you putting poly on pieces that will become part of the boat or temporary molds/stations???

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:01 pm
by Jtrees
wej wrote:Are you putting poly on pieces that will become part of the boat or temporary molds/stations???
Only on the temporary molds/stations. Im going to make them all temporary instead of using some of the real pieces(1088) for molds. I figured as i build the hull mold and everything fits together as it should ill be able to discover mistakes on the temporary pieces and fix them. Then all I have to do is trace all the temporary pieces onto the 1088 marine ply for the final cuts. Only putting poly on because I was worried as I let the molds/stations sit in the garage for a while before construction the humidity down here might swell them so the measurements might be off. Might be overkill, but im haveing fun. :D

Thanks,
Jason

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:14 pm
by gstanfield
...im haveing fun
That's the most important part :!:

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:00 pm
by wej
Wasn't being critical just curious. Seems like a great idea to me :)