Guam MM21

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Guam MM21

Post by chicagoross »

The ply seems like it will take the curve if you're gentle. The splice will be a layer of 12 oz biax tape on each side, which should be stronger than the ply itself. What can I say, it will either be a very tense yet triumphant day, or it will be back to the pondering/moaning/crying chair. That's boatbuilding, and you just keep telling yourself there's no problem that can't be fixed... :D

D2Maine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by D2Maine »

nm
Last edited by D2Maine on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

I'm using Meranti (Lauan, Philiping Mahogany) which is stiffer than Okume but flexier than fir. Without having the forms up on the jig yet (the bottom hull panels and the motor-deck top will be the forms for the round transom), it seems like the ply should make the bends without kerfing. Since I have ten days of splicing to do before I can start setting up a jig (and the biax tape still hasn't arrived yet), it will be a few weeks before we can find out, depending on how long it takes me to get the jig set up level. There are no stringers on these displacement boats, so leveling and squaring each of six frames using only string, measure, and level takes a while... :D ). One thing all of the plans seem to say, I've tried it and it works, if you can't bend the panels all the way together, bend them as far as you can and walk away for a day. The next day you can bend them further. So, Plan B (which I'm already on!) is no kerfing...kerfing will be plan C I guess...

D2Maine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by D2Maine »

nm
Last edited by D2Maine on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Red Express
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Big Red Express »

I have been waiting for someone to build the Mini Maia since I have the plans, but have several other projects that I am trying to stay focused on prior to that endeavor. Your build is quite awesome and I will continue to admire from afar. Cheers

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

I've been looking at my pile of pieces waiting to be spliced together, waiting for oveer 3 weeks for my biax tape to be delivered. Feel like I'm going through withdrawal... :( Started stitching les critical areas yesterday using the roll of 6 oz woven that I had laying around, couldn't stand it any longer! It'll all be covered with biax fabric anyway, right? :doh:

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Maybe put on 2 layers and run the weave 45% to each other? Sometimes you just have to make do :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

FloatingTurtle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FloatingTurtle »

I wanted to see in real size what a MM21 would look like. So I drew one on my driveway from the plans. I can't decide if it is big or small...

From this picture it looks like it's too large for my garage door but it's a perspective trick as there are 6 inches of clearance (3 on each side, that is). But it would be a tight fit.

How's your build going ross?
Jean, the Floating Turtle

Built: Prameke PK78
Other plans owned (and future projects): Cat Ketch CK17, Mini Maia MM21 and E-Cat EC24.

My PK78 gallery: http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1159

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Computer was down, so building coming along nicely - updates soon, got to go to photobucket first.

MM21 is 8'3" wide, you must have a wider than usual garage door. Anyhow, it sure is looking big in my carport! :D

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

OK, last Saturday (after a month) my biax finally arrived. Finished splicing all the long panels. Then I cleaned off the long table I built to make the panels (out of the monsoon floods that wash through the carport a few times a day this time of year):
and flipped it over. Fasten uprights to it and start setting up the frames. I never set a goal of "set up the jig today", I only set baby-step goals like "set up frame A":
But that went pretty smooth, so I decided to set up Frame B before I forgot how: