Page 1 of 1

Mike's FS18 Build

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:54 pm
by Stuff4Toys
I am not an author, so don't expect a step by step, blow by blow description of the build process, but I would be more than happy to share the photos and pitfalls that we ran across building this boat. My name is John, my son Mike and I started building this boat about 3 weeks ago. If you are on Facebook, you can find my build blog here http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mikes-Fla ... 0937468564

Here's Mike trying to figure out the plans
This is me measure 3 times quadruple check, then cut once.
We have the top deck layed out, so Mike is checking out the casting platform
Turning $650 worth of nice clean plywood into splinters and sawdust

Mike's FS18 Build

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:56 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Just a little fun

Mike's FS18 Build

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Sanding down the edges where the side seams are

Re: Mike's FS18 Build

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:59 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Stringers and Sides laid out, seams fiber glassed and epoxied.
Mike demonstrating what happens when you leave a brush in the mixing cup

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:00 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Here's the bottom panels glued together, can you spot the error here?

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:10 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Oh Yeah

Two layers of plastic to protect the floor is OK, but excessive.
Six layers like the last picture will surely distort the seams and create more trouble than it's worth.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:13 pm
by Stuff4Toys
We only get one evening a week to work on this project. i work 6 days a week and Mike 5 days but works weekends. We started this the last Monday in August 2011 and at this point we had 3 weeks involved. It seems like it will take f o r e v e r to make any progress.

Re: Yet Another FS 18 Build

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:17 pm
by gstanfield
Welcome to the madness, it's great to see you and your son enjoying such a fun hobby together. I'm also pretty excited to see a new build with plenty of pictures 8)

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:18 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Putting the Pieces Together - September 26, 2011

We set up the hardback stringers and bulkheads and put the bottom sections up there to see what it looked like. Next thing we knew, we had the sides temporarily stitched on and the bow pulled together.
Broke one of the strips for the rounded hull off, will epoxy back together when we stitch the bow together.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:21 pm
by cali123
You guys are making it look easy. Good job.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:42 am
by Stuff4Toys
The hard part is waiting a whole week for Mike to come over so we can work together.

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:22 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Here it is Monday. Mike only had an hour or so to work on the boat today. He bought a couple of lengths of PVC pipe and cut it up in 2" long pieces to back up the stitches.

Worked REAL GOOD. We did a few more stitches and trimmed the excess fiberglass from the seam patches.

Looks like the one panel that we messed up on left the center gap down the middle a little wider than we wanted. Plans are to temporarily screw pieces of 2X4 wrapped with plastic to the inside of the hull so we can fill the gap without it running all over.

Edge seams look good, will finish stitching next week. Bought 4" X 1/8" tie wraps to pull the bow seams together.

Boat Building Cartoon of the Week
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7249077 ... -my-garage

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:45 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Saw this on You tube and had to post it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuOcjislpJ4

JOhn ><>

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:52 am
by Cracker Larry
That was great :lol:

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:56 am
by cali123
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:03 am
by mjxlange
Hey Dad thanks for starting this! I would never have found the time. Now I have to find more time to work on the boat. Cant keep the world waiting for new pictures.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:10 am
by cottontop
Boat is looking good. Cartoons are great. john

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:46 pm
by Baitcaster
This looks great. You guys do make it look easy.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:57 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Got an extra day in Sunday 10/09/2011
We finished stitching the boat together, over 200 wire ties.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:00 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Note: When laying out the bottoms and doing the radiused chine, you do not need to cut the radius in the pointy end of the boat. Left a hole that we have to fill in.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:02 pm
by Stuff4Toys
We used almost 80 1-1/2" long pieces of 3/4" pipe.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:04 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Well, what do you do when you get all the stitching done???? You stand around and talk about it, NOT
You mix up a pot of epoxy and wood flour and start gluing it all together...

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:05 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Just wondering for those of you who have done this already if you see any glaring errors in what we have done so far???

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:08 pm
by Stuff4Toys
That's all for today, go ahead and post your thoughts and let us know what we are doing right and what we should be doing different???

Tomorrow we start pulling the wire ties out and fill in all the gaps.
JOhn ><>

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:13 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Don't forget you can Image our build on Facebook too! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mikes-Fla ... 0937468564

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:03 pm
by gstanfield
Looking good. You guys are making good progress for only working 1 day a week :D

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:09 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Thanks, until today, we thought we were getting nowhere fast. Now we are getting excited again, could be floating in the next month or two. Mike is already thinking about buying the floatation foam.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:17 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Welllllll, Happy Columbus Day!

Pulled all the wire ties and trying to figure out what "fair" is. we have a small hook between "E" and the transom, "D" seems to high and "C" is just right. Not sure how flat the hull should be from "C" forward to the bow? Seems like it'll be tough getting that area as flat as the bulkheads are.

"B" has a pretty good curve to it, so it is assured that, that area isn't flat.

Where should we expect "Flat" to be? Transom to "C"?
JOhn ><>

{PS} not boat building, but here you go:

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:42 pm
by wegcagle
Looks great. You guys work FAST. :D

Just wondering for those of you who have done this already if you see any glaring errors in what we have done so far???
No glaring errors so far. It's gonna be tough to pull those stitches since you puttied all the way up to the stitches. I did the same thing, and it was tough but not impossible.

BTW the picture of the front looks like a porcupine :lol: Dang that's a bunch of stitches and PVC 8)

Will

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:17 pm
by mjxlange
I have blisters on my hands from pulling out zip ties today. The round chine as been a real pain but I glad we did it even if it serves no purpose. Cant wait until next weekend to get back at it.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:26 pm
by chicagoross
Never seen that many ties on a boat before! It'll be worth it after you sand it all down and get those nice round chines!

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:51 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Monday and Tuesday October 10/11, 2011
Well, the ties are out, but don't see a nice round chine like we expected. We were hoping for a little more shape to the bow.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:32 pm
by CraigLam
It's nice to see someone with talent. Very symetrical. I like the way you put the dowels underneath to even out pieces.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:49 pm
by gstanfield
Well, she's looking nice, but I agree about the chine. It's definately not the round chine you were shooting for. It looks like a hard chine version to me. Is it possible that you cut your frames for the hard chine version instead of rounded? I'm assuming they are different unless there isn't a frame up there in the bow. Maybe someone who has the plans can look and see what went wrong :?

Either way, it does look good

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:12 am
by mjxlange
I still like it its kind of like a cross between hard and round chine. We will call it a smooth chine.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:42 am
by wadestep
I agree - i kinda like it. Announcing the all-new 'smooth chine' version! :lol:
Wow - that stitching sure looked labor-intensive. 8O I do like the outcome, though.
wade

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:09 am
by Cracker Larry
I like it too, looks real good, but I think I'll skip all that extra work and go with the hard chine.
Is it possible that you cut your frames for the hard chine version instead of rounded? I'm assuming they are different unless there isn't a frame up there in the bow. Maybe someone who has the plans can look and see what went wrong :?

Good thought George. You are correct, the plans show that frames A and B both have a radius on the chine corners for the rounded chine option, there is another small plans sheet detailing this. I think that's probably what went wrong :doh:

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:46 pm
by Stuff4Toys
I am wondering if we forgot to cut the side panel 1/4" narrower. Would this have made that much difference?

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:19 am
by flyfishingmonk
Sweet... I found another FS18 build. :D

I look forward to seeing your build.

Has Larry started his FS18 thread yet? Anyone know?

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:23 am
by gstanfield

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:14 pm
by Stuff4Toys
No Pictures this week. Only thing accomplished was gluing the center seam and straightening the hull a bit. Needs some fairing and then glass next week.

Mike did pick a color to paint it.
2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS Camaro

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:20 pm
by flyfishingmonk
Way Cool!

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:41 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Sorry, another week with no progress, (personal matters to take are of) check back often to see the latest action.

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:43 pm
by flyfishingmonk
Life kinda gets in the way. I was sick all last week and had no motivation to work. Now that I'm better I'm ready to get my nose to the grind stone.

We look forward to your updates.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:07 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Well, two steps forward, one step backward. We spent two days trying to get the boat square enough to glass a fair. Decided that our makeshift hard back just wasn't cutting it, so Sunday eve Mike made a new frame and Monday eve we set up the bulkheads on the frame and started squaring the boat.

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:13 pm
by Stuff4Toys
No pics tonight. We finished squaring up the boat and put another layer of fairing compound to take some of the low spots out. Next we will finish sanding the faired spots and start laying up the outside fiberglass. Should look a bit different next week.

JOhn ><>

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:22 pm
by Stuff4Toys
We are doing better than this guy. However we came close for a few moments in the beginning.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:04 am
by cottontop
I love your humor. It gets my day off on the right foot. :D

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:39 pm
by AtTheBrink
Following your build closely, I am about to order the plans for mine. Any thing you guys would do different if you could start over?
Mike

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:55 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Make sure that when you seam the bottom sections and the side sections that they are straight & flat. If you are doing the round chine, make sure you complete all the steps.

Triple measure, cut once.
JOhn ><>

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:27 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Time for Fiberglass, Mike spent yesterday sanding the last layer of fairing and pre-cut all the glass. Today we glass, tomorrow we do some sanding and however far we get, it would float.
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 3144_n.jpg

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:27 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Mike and his Son, my Grandson.

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:29 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Looks like the pictures are getting cut off, if you want to see the whole picture go to our Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mikes-Fla ... 0937468564

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:35 pm
by peter-curacao
Stuff4Toys wrote:Looks like the pictures are getting cut off, if you want to see the whole picture go to our Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mikes-Fla ... 0937468564
:lol: This one made me laugh so hard you can't imagine :lol:

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:38 pm
by sitandfish
Stuff4Toys wrote:Looks like the pictures are getting cut off, if you want to see the whole picture...
Most of the guys know that they can open the "cut off" pictures in a "new window" to see the whole picture. But, I understand your frustration. :wink:

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:18 pm
by peter-curacao
just resize the longer length of your pics to 600, in most forums that's the standard :wink: this free program will help you do that
http://www.photoscape.org/

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:52 pm
by Stuff4Toys
peter-curacao wrote:just resize the longer length of your pics to 600, in most forums that's the standard :wink: this free program will help you do that
http://www.photoscape.org/
I am using the image URL's from Facebook, they come out the size Facebook re-sizes them too.

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:55 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Well, Mike had a day off for a change and stopped in to see the boat. We decided it was time to flip the boat over. We flipped it alright, and then proceeded to drop it on the concrete. No harm done, time to grind the sloppy Epoxy from the inside seams and get ready to FG the inside.

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:09 pm
by gstanfield
Looking good guys 8)

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:31 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Mike worked hard yesterday and did the inside by himself. We need to pick up some 12" wide glass tape and some 6oz for the decks, then it's time to start with the quick fair. Sorry about the glare in the pictures, but you gotta love the sunshine this time of year.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:32 pm
by Stuff4Toys
I got anxious this morning and set the decks up on the hull just to see how they looked.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:30 pm
by mjxlange
Word to the wise. Get someone to help with the inner hull fiberglass. I did it myself last night and it took forever. Good thing for slow cure epoxy and cool temps outside.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:25 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Woohoo we finally got some more done and on the way to fishing.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:35 pm
by gstanfield
Good to see some more progress guys :!:

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:56 pm
by TRC886
If that's epoxy you're using, you need rubber gloves :!: :!: :!: You do not want to become sensitized to the stuff :help:

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:41 am
by Stuff4Toys
TRC886 wrote:If that's epoxy you're using, you need rubber gloves :!: :!: :!: You do not want to become sensitized to the stuff :help:
Yah, you know kids.......

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:40 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Finally, we found time to continue on.

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:44 pm
by gstanfield
Looking good Mike 8)

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:35 am
by Stuff4Toys
Just a couple of quick pics, we glued the keel on last Monday. Went to Home Depot to see what they had for precut "trim" looking for cedar. Nothing even close, so the keel on this boat is "Solid Oak" White Oak 3/4" X 3/4" with 45degree angle on the front and rounded on the back. Mike also sanded the edges round. Looks great.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:44 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Spent a little time today, sanding the filet on the keel and two layers of glass the length of the keel.

Now to start Fairing Plans. Mix Your Own Microbaloons and Resin or Quick Fair?

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:05 pm
by cali123
Quickfare, hands down!

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:16 pm
by wegcagle
I've made all other types of epoxy mixes, but I have never made fairing putty. That's because Quikfair is fricking AWESOME :!: It's expensive, but worth every dime in my opinion.

Will

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:44 pm
by chopperman
Mike,

I apply a first coat of micro-balloon & silica to fill in the weave. Then, it's Quickfair from there. It usually takes me two to three applications of Quickfare to get it fair.

-Mark

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:22 am
by cottontop
She's looking more like a wrap every time you post. You will have one really fine build soon. Keep up the posting and the good work. John

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:00 pm
by mjxlange
So I have decided that sharp edges can not possibly be worth all the extra effort. If we build another boat I think we will skip this step. I did find a motor. Its not exactly what I was looking for but it will work for now. Its a 25hp johnson. I will try and get Dad to post pictures.

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:18 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Ordered QuickFair today. Cannot wait, this is a big step, this project is really starting to take shape.

Just in case you were wondering where we buy all of our tools from (not quickfair), sanders, media, wrenches and all that kind of stuff, check out www.USToolMan.com

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:20 pm
by mjxlange
Yesterday we mixed some micro balloons and epoxy and attempted our first coat of fairing. Not sure how it will turn out it will need alot of sanding.

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:24 pm
by mjxlange
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc ... 4657_n.jpg

Well that didnt work. I will have to have Dad upload the pictures.

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:34 pm
by gstanfield

There you go 8)

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:01 pm
by Cracker Larry
Yesterday we mixed some micro balloons and epoxy and attempted our first coat of fairing. Not sure how it will turn out it will need alot of sanding.
Yep, they always need a lot of sanding. It will turn out just fine if you don't get discouraged and give up 8) Mix fairing compound, spread, sand with long board, sand with R/O sander, repeat. Repeat 3 times at least, maybe 4, then it's done :D Just got finished with round 4 on mine, and I'm calling it done.

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:27 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Have not had alot to report lately, so I thought I would add this unrelated picture to pass the time and keep the post active.

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:41 pm
by Bluefish2
That, That looks like my boat! 8O

Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:39 pm
by CraigLam
I hadn't seen that one. Funny. Your work is pretty amazing. Your attention to detail is unique. I like the little round dowels you added to even out the joint. I finished spraying my outboard, I don't know if you've been following. OB15. It should be completely assembled by the weekend. I also got my final grade in welding from Cerritos College. 4.000. I guess that's a "A". I'll be getting an Eastwood welder in about a month, and will start on my trailer. I'll probably keep the same thread, "OB15".

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:34 am
by kleinbiker1
Did this boat ever get finished?

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:20 am
by Stuff4Toys
Still in progress, but nothing done since the last post except some fairing.

Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:58 am
by Uncle D
Stuff4Toys wrote:Still in progress, but nothing done since the last post except some fairing.
Fairing's funnnnnn :roll:

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:48 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Worked "ON" Mike's Boat Today
Well the Stuff is "ON" Mike's Boat

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:32 pm
by mjxlange
I have decided that next week i'm going to get back to work on the boat. Hope to finish fairing and get the thing flipped over.

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:01 pm
by Stuff4Toys

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:38 pm
by AtTheBrink
Are you guys still building? I hope you didnt give up. I would like to see your twist on this boat.

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:37 pm
by mjxlange
So much negativity today I felt the need to get out of the house, so what better thing to do but work on the boat. Did a bunch of sanding and added what I hope to be the last skim of quick fair. I am going to finish sanding next week give it a coat of epoxy and try to get the thing flipped to start on the inside.

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:48 pm
by Cracker Larry
Well show us some pictures :D

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:52 pm
by flyfishingmonk
mjxlange wrote:So much negativity today I felt the need to get out of the house, so what better thing to do but work on the boat. Did a bunch of sanding and added what I hope to be the last skim of quick fair. I am going to finish sanding next week give it a coat of epoxy and try to get the thing flipped to start on the inside.

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:54 pm
by mjxlange
I will have to get dad to post pictures as I cant seam to get them off my phone. There not much to look at other than the boat is in my back yard now instead of at the shop. At what point do you say its fair enough? Also can you go back and add quick fair after primer in case some low spots surface?

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:19 pm
by Cracker Larry
At what point do you say its fair enough?
That's always the question :lol: Anytime you call it fair enough is OK with us, if it's OK with you. I try to get it to where I call it fair enough, and then do it one more time, but whatever you are happy with.
Also can you go back and add quick fair after primer in case some low spots surface?
Yes, if you used an epoxy primer such as the Silvertip primer sold here. You really can't tell how good your fairing job is until you put a coat of wet paint on it. That's normal.

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:58 pm
by AtTheBrink
Just when I had given this build up for dead... :wink:

Glad you are back to building. It helps me keep my mind off weighty issues too. :help: :D

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:09 pm
by mjxlange
This will be one of two projects I will complete in my life. The way I see it thats still two more than Dad!lol

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:43 pm
by Stuff4Toys
mjxlange wrote:This will be one of two projects I will complete in my life. The way I see it thats still two more than Dad!lol
But I started more projects so my completion ratio is still even.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:44 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Mike, upload them to the FaceBook page, then it's easy to get them here.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:31 pm
by AtTheBrink
Good to see you're making headway on the boat. It's looking good.

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:40 pm
by mjxlange
Not much of an update but got the boat flipped. Drilled the drain and bow eye holes.Then filled them with thickened epoxy today.

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:43 pm
by Stuff4Toys
mjxlange wrote:Not much of an update but got the boat flipped. Drilled the drain and bow eye holes.Then filled them with thickened epoxy today.
"Like"

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:04 pm
by AtTheBrink
Just keep plugging away at it.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:17 pm
by mjxlange
Well a small set back today. I was going to start gluing in the bulkheads but it appears that I have somehow lost one of the bulk heads and the rear deck. Not sure how this happened but it did. :doh:

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:18 pm
by AtTheBrink
Have you got your stringers in yet? Keep on building, looking forward to seeing thos build progress.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:33 pm
by mjxlange
The stringers have been in for months maybe even a year.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:52 pm
by AtTheBrink
Must have missed that.

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:38 pm
by mjxlange
Today I glued and taped the bulkheads and transom knees. I still have to get some more plywood to make up for the missing bulkhead and rear deck.

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:14 pm
by Stuff4Toys

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:32 pm
by mjxlange
Just a quick update. I have been contemplating cutting down the shear for about a year or maybe even longer. Then last night while looking at atthebrink's and Hooters boats i decided it needed to happen. Today I marked my lines and took the plunge. I wish I would have done it prior to adding the rub rail as it was a pain to cleanly remove what was left of the old rub rail. I my opinion the lower shear is how this boat should have been designed. Lower center of gravity and less wind resistance.

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:48 pm
by Benny Howard
Looks like you're moving along great. From the look of the shop, I would bet you are not all that new to building a boat. My son and I started an xf20 about the same time you did but I am doing most of the work in his basement. He is working a lot of overtime right now, so he has not helped a lot lately. We go a lot faster when both of us can get on it. Let us know when you splash, I would like to see it on the water.

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:13 am
by AtTheBrink
mjxlange wrote:Just a quick update. I have been contemplating cutting down the shear for about a year or maybe even longer. Then last night while looking at atthebrink's and Hooters boats i decided it needed to happen. Today I marked my lines and took the plunge. I wish I would have done it prior to adding the rub rail as it was a pain to cleanly remove what was left of the old rub rail. I my opinion the lower shear is how this boat should have been designed. Lower center of gravity and less wind resistance.
How much did you cut off? I think I started at 3 or 3 1/2 inches at the transom and tapered that forward to nothing at frame B. I know from chine to the top of the transom is 15 inches. I would go an inch higher to 16" if I had it to do over. I did have to do a little more trimming to get it to look. I got a very fair line when I added the rubrail.

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:18 am
by mjxlange
I cut on the wrong side of the line so I ended up with 3 1/4 in. tapered to 0" just before the front bulkhead. Turned out pretty good and like yours I will be perfect once the rub rail is installed.

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:40 pm
by mjxlange
Not much boat work but I did make a stake out pole today. I got a few free 7 ft fiberglass rods and made a handle out of some cut off pieces of the transom. http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 9837_n.jpg

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:35 pm
by flyfishingmonk
Very cool!!!

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:15 pm
by AtTheBrink
mjxlange wrote:I cut on the wrong side of the line so I ended up with 3 1/4 in. tapered to 0" just before the front bulkhead. Turned out pretty good and like yours I will be perfect once the rub rail is installed.
When you put the rubrail on you can get a very fair line. The hard part is duplicating it on the other side! :help: It really helped that I did this part outside where I could step way back and look at it from all angles to make sure I got it right.

You asked about a livewell yesterday. What is your deck layout going be? I extended the front deck on mine by 18" and the back deck by 10". There is room for a livewell there and room for all the plumbing.

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:45 pm
by mjxlange
There will be plenty of room for a baitwell. I was considering placing it in the front but then thought about how ruff Charlotte Harbor can get and unless I can get a perfect seal I can see water splashing all over the place. I am worried that if I put it in the back it will throw off the balance. maybe I will just have to take up fly fishing and scrap the whole idea.

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:50 am
by AtTheBrink
You can put it in the back, just offset the weight by moving some weight forward. Trolling motor batteries, starting battery, fuel tank. And it doesn't have to be very big, does it? 8-10 gallons is plenty if you can circulate fresh water through it. That should keep plenty of whitebait alive and a dozen or so greenies if you gott'em.

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:14 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Here's Mike's Stiffy Pole Picture

Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:36 pm
by mjxlange
Scored a free gas tank today. Dad had an old bayliner out back so I cut the tank out. Its a little large so I just wont fill it up.

Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:11 am
by AtTheBrink
You can't beat free! What size tank and where are you installing it?

Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:40 pm
by mjxlange
Its 22g. I found a guy at work that will cut it down and re weld it for $30. It will be 12g when all is said and done. I will be mounting it in the bow.

Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:28 pm
by AtTheBrink
12 gallons should be perfect! With 25 HP that will take you a long, long way!

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:25 pm
by mjxlange
Got 6 gallons of foam today! Hope it will be enough.

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:51 pm
by AtTheBrink
With it being so hot now 4 gallons ought to be enough. With 6 you certainly have plenty, with some to spare. Good to hear you are still progressing on your boat! Did you figure out whether you are going to put in a bait well?

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:54 am
by mjxlange
Ya I am going to place the bait well behind where you would sit. This way any splashing will just roll off the back.

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:47 pm
by AtTheBrink
That makes sense to me. Post up some pictures when you pour that foam.
One more question. Are you using 3/8" or 1/4" for your sole?

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:44 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Mike posted this picture on Facebook a few minutes ago. It's gonna be a baitwell/livewell.

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:03 pm
by AtTheBrink
That looks great! I will take one! Do I order thru you or thru Mike? :D :D :D

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:23 pm
by mjxlange
Here is a bad picture. You can see it slimmed down for this picture. Cut the shear down 3.5in to 0 at the bow.

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:26 pm
by mjxlange
Still a lot to do. Here. I just set the decks in place to get an idea of what it is going to look like.

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:00 pm
by AtTheBrink
Starting to look like a real boat! Keep plugging away at it! Your sheer line looks very nice. You did a good job trimming it down and keeping a nice line.

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:00 pm
by mjxlange
ImageImage ImageImage

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:07 pm
by mjxlange
Well, as you can see I have been plugging along.

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:11 pm
by Stuff4Toys
Very nice Mike, wish I would have come over this evening, but there was a foot of rainwater in the Catalina.

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:33 pm
by mjxlange
I've decided it's time to get some paint. How much do you think it will take to paint the hull.

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:02 pm
by AtTheBrink
I got a quart of hull color(Sterling) and a quart for the topsides. Everyone seams to agree that that is plenty of paint.

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:42 pm
by mjxlange
Five FS18 builds at the top of this board. I think we need our own section.

Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:12 am
by AtTheBrink
:D It's a popular boat! Kudo's to Jacques!

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:31 pm
by mjxlange
Installed the baitwell tonight. Also got the sole glued down and covered with some 6oz cloth for a little extra protection this week.

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:40 am
by Stuff4Toys
You do such nice work, I think you need a VERY LARGE building for your projects.

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:13 pm
by mjxlange
Uh-Oh what do you have cooking now?

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:22 pm
by mjxlange
Making some head way. Got the rod holders in, holes cut for hatches, ordered the trim tabs and some other mis. parts. I will try to get some pictures over the next couple days.

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:42 pm
by mjxlange
Looks like I have ordered the wrong trim tabs. I got the 12/12 when I should have gotten 12/9. Think they will work or do I need to send them back.

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:43 am
by Cracker Larry
Those are mighty large tabs for that little boat.

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:53 pm
by mjxlange
The place I got them from is going to exchange them for the 9/9in wit no restocking fee!! I also found a trailer today just have to adjust the bunks a little bit. I will post pictures tomorrow.

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:45 pm
by Stuff4Toys

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:50 pm
by Shamrock Kid
Looking good as usual. I see you got some better fitting tabs.

Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:13 pm
by mjxlange
yes the 9\9 fit much better! I have been plugging away a little bit every week. I have all the holes drilled and filled. Have most of the hardware mocked up. Just need a few more things and it will be ready for paint. Also waiting for Dad to come over and help get the thing wired up.

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:41 pm
by mjxlange
I have gotten a bunch done but have not posted in a long time. Here are a few pictures.

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:42 pm
by mjxlange

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:42 pm
by mjxlange

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:44 pm
by mjxlange
Got a little color!

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:44 pm
by mjxlange

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:47 pm
by mjxlange
Flipped the hull and got the first coats of primer on. I ran out of primer so I will have to finish up next week

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:49 pm
by mjxlange

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:49 pm
by mjxlange

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:06 pm
by mjxlange
Got the first coat of paint on today! its a little darker than I hoped but the fish will not care. Image

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:52 pm
by toddinbr
Mike, The boat is looking fantastic.

Do you have any photos of the hatches construction open. I am at that point on my FS18.

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:00 pm
by Stuff4Toys
toddinbr wrote:Mike, The boat is looking fantastic.

Do you have any photos of the hatches construction open. I am at that point on my FS18.
Look for more pics at http://www.facebook.com/MikesBoats

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:48 pm
by AtTheBrink
Boat is looking great! Love the color! That color was my second choice.

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:17 pm
by mjxlange

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:28 pm
by flyfishingmonk
Nice work! When I'm done with my PH18 I would like to build this one. I want to paint the sides in tan, the bottom maybe graphite, and outfit it with a duck hunting blind that pops open that can be removed. Looks like fun!

Casey

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:16 am
by AtTheBrink
Boat looks great! When does she go in the water? Get her wet and slime the decks! Reds and snooks watch out!

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:20 pm
by mjxlange
Installed the trim tabs and some other shinny bits today. Finished up the trailer. Need to finish wiring everything up, glue the decks down, water pump and carb rebuild on the motor and all the finish work. So about three more years :D

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:02 pm
by AtTheBrink
mjxlange wrote:. So about three more years :D
I hear ya there! :lol:

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:57 pm
by mjxlange
Got the transom all buttoned up!

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:21 pm
by flyfishingmonk
Wow that is some great work!

Casey

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:08 am
by AtTheBrink
Looks good! One step closer to the finish line.

I think there are like 4 of us named Mike building the same boat. Interesting...

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:44 am
by willg
Very nice!

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:16 pm
by mjxlange
Decks glued down and last layer of fiberglass layed out. It's almost time for slime!!!

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:17 pm
by mjxlange
Decks all primed. Paint tomorrow if the rain holds off.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:31 pm
by mjxlange
Well that was easy. Called the FWC today to schedule an inspection. They said about a week but no more. 20 min later Officer Mike Morrison called and said he could be there in 15 min. had all my receipts ready with pictures to prove it was home built. 10 min later he handed me a signed FWC/DLE 126. Now on to the tax collector.

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:00 pm
by jorgepease
Looking Good! FWC came out quick for me too, gave me the ok, and then called me back and said they would have to come back out when my motor arrived. I thought this was all about wether the boat was home built, don't see what that has to do with the motor, I will have all the papers for that from the dealer.

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:25 pm
by Noles309
jorgepease wrote:Looking Good! FWC came out quick for me too, gave me the ok, and then called me back and said they would have to come back out when my motor arrived. I thought this was all about wether the boat was home built, don't see what that has to do with the motor, I will have all the papers for that from the dealer.
Thats strange, they didn't even mention the motor at my inspection and I had it out in the shed. I think they are trying to make sure the tax collector gets their cut or there is something different because the boat is over 16 feet. He did make the comment when he measured it "Good it's under 16', that makes it a lot easier".... :doh:

Boat look great :D

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:22 pm
by jorgepease
Yeah that might be it, she also asked the length and said she had to check somethings and would get back to me. I know I will be bringing my receipts to DMV … don't want them taxing me twice!

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:25 pm
by mjxlange
The boat is all but finished. Rolled it out from the temporary car port. Washed it all up, mounted the motor, just have a few small details to finish up.

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:48 pm
by Noles309
Wheres the pics? 8)

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:42 pm
by mjxlange
This can mean only one thing!!!! Went to the DMV today and got the boat registered. Super easy,had all my paperwork in order made small talk with the gal behind the desk and done. Did not even ask to see receipts

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:18 am
by AtTheBrink
Awesome! You'll have her in the water just in time. Late summer/early fall fishing is the best!

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:55 pm
by mjxlange

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:57 pm
by mjxlange

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:57 pm
by mjxlange

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:43 pm
by toddinbr
Mike, your boat looks great!

I like the trailer too. Can you give me some specifics on the trailer. I am going to get one this week.

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:33 pm
by mjxlange

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:35 pm
by mjxlange
I dont have any spec for the trailer. I found one on CL and made it fit the boat.

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:12 am
by tech_support
:D :D :D :!: :!:

Can I re-post a couple of those pictures to our FB page :?:

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:01 am
by Cracker Larry
Looks great Mike, well done 8)

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:02 am
by jacquesmm
The level of finish of those boats is amazing! Professional custom boat builders can not do better.
Congratulations.

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:10 pm
by crackedconch
NICE!!!

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:32 pm
by mjxlange
Feel free to use all the pictures you would like.

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:40 pm
by osotexan
Man she looks great!

I'm very inspired. The OD18 was to be next on my list but the more I look at the FS18 is looking more and more interesting.

Great build, beautiful boat.

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:57 am
by Cannonball
Top Notch!

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:39 pm
by mjxlange
SPLASHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:40 pm
by mjxlange

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:41 pm
by mjxlange

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:46 pm
by Cracker Larry
Is there a boat in that picture :?: What boat? Dang Mike that's pretty. The boat's pretty cool too. Really like the graphics. Well done all around 8) Congrats :!: :!:

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:43 pm
by mjxlange

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:34 pm
by jorgepease
Nice!

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:34 pm
by Noles309
Awesome! Great job!

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:30 am
by topwater
excellent job :!:

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:17 am
by cottontop
Boat looks great. Very fine finish. I like the picture decal. Congratulations. John

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:11 am
by tech_support
8) 8) very nice :!:

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:56 am
by Cannonball
Top Notch! Great job!

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:09 pm
by toddinbr
Awesome!

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:14 am
by blueflood
Hi Mike,

I echo our brethens. Excellent and impressive craftsmanship 8). That blue-green finish is absolutely complementary on that style boat. Nice choice.

Q. Those rub rails...what and where ?

Marc

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:59 pm
by mjxlange
Scored the rub rail @ marine surplus in Sarasota Fl. only paid $100

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:44 pm
by 94'325is
Awesome looking boat!

Small world, Michael Morrison is one of my good friends (FWC Officer who inspected the boat), I'll have to call him about it.