HMD18 - Inside Passage or Bust!!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: HMD18 - Inside Passage or Bust!!

Post by Spokaloo »

For that particular piece of water, I'd really lean towards leaving a full, closable bulkhead in the cabin so your sleeping quarters are separate from your cabin. My pilothouse boat has been slept in numerous times on the Wa coast and I can attest that you need as many walls/doors as you can get between your bedding and the 45 degree foggy/rainy nights. Even in all wool, everything will get sopping wet if you leave that area open to the elements, even compared to a closed door on the back of the wheelhouse. You will be wet when you walk in, and that moisture will invariably transfer itself to your sleeping area.

If a larger work space for your cooking needs is necessary, why not make the port side seat back fold down, and make a drop-in countertop that can be stowed while underway? This would give you a work space from the existing countertop all the way to the forward bulkhead, with lots of room for a full size double burner cooktop, which can also be stowed while underway. You get more room for your seating, a larger work space for cooking, dry bedding and privacy where the head will be located, and the ability to use the counter for whatever you need, rather than a dedicated cooktop that doesn't like things set on it.

E

SP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SP »

Good input, I will definitely give it some thought. I am sure condensation/moisture is going to be an issue.

The pilot house will be closed up, but it sounds like maybe that isn't going to be enough.

What do you think about the subject of heating? I see lots of boats with small wood stoves in the PNW.

Is being able to some how heat the pilothouse/cabin essential for cruising in this area during the summer months? If so, I am not sure if it is even possible with this small of a boat.

Maybe some type of insulation in the V berth/forward cabin might be an option.

Spokaloo wrote:For that particular piece of water, I'd really lean towards leaving a full, closable bulkhead in the cabin so your sleeping quarters are separate from your cabin. My pilothouse boat has been slept in numerous times on the Wa coast and I can attest that you need as many walls/doors as you can get between your bedding and the 45 degree foggy/rainy nights. Even in all wool, everything will get sopping wet if you leave that area open to the elements, even compared to a closed door on the back of the wheelhouse. You will be wet when you walk in, and that moisture will invariably transfer itself to your sleeping area.

If a larger work space for your cooking needs is necessary, why not make the port side seat back fold down, and make a drop-in countertop that can be stowed while underway? This would give you a work space from the existing countertop all the way to the forward bulkhead, with lots of room for a full size double burner cooktop, which can also be stowed while underway. You get more room for your seating, a larger work space for cooking, dry bedding and privacy where the head will be located, and the ability to use the counter for whatever you need, rather than a dedicated cooktop that doesn't like things set on it.

E

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

Even in May out at Neah for halibut fishing, I've never needed heat. You could add a little wood stove in there, but honestly I don't think it's necessary. There's not much summer weather that can't be fixed with good clothing and a hot cup of your favorite drink. Even a little propane "buddy heater" can do wonders for the morning chill. Just have a little airflow.

E

gk108

Post by gk108 »

What kind of galley will you have? If your stove is located inside the pilothouse enclosure, there's your heat source. An inverted clay flower pot over the burner will turn it into a cabin heater. 8)
CC, D15, V10

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

There ain't no way on God's green earth that I would do theIP without a heater 8O 8O I have spent many cold nights in boats, with a clay flower pot turned upside down over a gas stove burner, works good in a small area but it wasn't the IP either :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

SP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SP »

Here is the VBerth layed out to scale. From tip to end along the center line is approx 6'6".

For a 18.5' boat, it is actually a pretty good size V-berth.

I am 6' tall, 180 lbs. I fit snug (it would work no problem), but unless you are 5'4" or shorter, there is no way you are going to be able to sleep in there with me with out fighting over the foot space.

If I decide I need more sleeping space (not sure yet), other than building a bigger boat, I could build the galley/seat boxes as designed and open up the port side of the VBerth like this.....

and use an extension as needed on that side of the Vberth.

So far I am pretty impressed with the design. Very flexible and lots of storage for a boat this small.

sds
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sds »

Maybe it's just me, but if I was in that port chair, knees under the dash, face up against the windshield, I'd feel like I was crunched up into a kiddie seat.

The stagger would make conversation/companionship more strained at best. Gaining a few inches of counterspace at the cost of my co-pilots comfort and status isn't a trade I'd make.

Just another angle to consider.

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

I like the frame modification that you drew as a solution to long sleepers. :D I can tell you that you will need a footrest anyway when you drop the sole in the cabin; the mod you drew will solve that problem for the passenger.

Yoda Jr.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Yoda Jr. »

Another HMD18! Good deal! I've been absent for a bit, and I fear work has ended on mine for the season (we had a dusting of snow last week, and it's raining now). It'll be good to watch someone making progress!

SP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SP »

I came across a couple decent deals and picked these up for the boat.

Stainless cleats and a compass.