Page 1 of 1

HMD18 - Inside Passage or Bust!!

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:01 am
by SP
I received my plans yesterday and have been going through them. They look great.

I am building the HMD18 not only for the experience and enjoyment of building a boat, but to cruise the Inside Passage from Puget Sound to Alaska and back. I picked this boat for this specific trip and it will be built and fitted out with this cruise in mind.

I have some design change ideas and lots of questions about how to fit out the boat, which I will eventually get to, but thought it would be a good idea to attempt a model first. I have never built a model before. We will see what happens.

This is what I accomplished tonight. I would of done more, but I ran out of material.

I am also thinking about taking video to document the process and putting it up on youtube.

I have no idea if I am going to be successful or how long it is going to take, but getting started is sometimes half the battle.

Here is to my next great adventure!!!

Re: HMD18 - Inside Passage or Bust!!

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:40 am
by gstanfield
Getting started is indeed a major milestone. Building a model is very good as well :D

As to documentation, please oh please give us lots of pictures, videos, whatever you come up with along the way. It helps answer questions that future prospecitve builders may ask as well as lets us help you as we can see what you're doing in the event you have trouble.

...also, we just love pictures :wink:

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:07 am
by chicagoross
Plus, post pictures! :D The response and following of your build thread will depend on regular picture posting - each picture invites more comments and suggestions.

HMD was a fun build - very straightforward. No major hidden surprises to figure out. I build mine for tropics (as you can see), it will be interesting seeing your modifications for the Alaska cruise. I'd assume enclosed pilothouse and mosquito screens for starters... :D

I've had 7 people on my HMD and the scuppers were still above water; the boat has a tremendous capacity for its size, and also a ton of storage, which makes it a great choice for your purposes.

When I used to travel up in BC and NW territories, rifle and shotgun were OK with the Canadians, but they didn't want us to carry pistols. Whenever we flew, we carried one of each. Maybe you'll build the first HMD with a built in rifle rack? :D

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:10 pm
by SP
I am working on the strongback. Once I get it built with the frames attached I will post a picture. Since the plans are in metric I am building the model in 1/10 scale. It is going to be a good size model.

I am already seeing a huge benefit in building the model. Going over the plans, drawing out parts, putting the strongback together..............

Every bit of it will benefit when building the boat in full scale.

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:04 pm
by SP
I had planned on having the model mostly finished, but I have been having some dental work done lately, including getting my bottom wisdom teeth pulled on Mon. Pulled isn't really the word for it, they didn't want to come out and it turned into a full oral surgery procedure. The recovery has not been easy.

Some good news, my son (10) has taken a huge interest in the building of the boat.

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:34 pm
by gstanfield
Some good news, my son (10) has taken a huge interest in the building of the boat
That's not just "good" news, that is GREAT news :D

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:20 pm
by Spokaloo
Very cool that the kid is getting involved. Maybe as a part of it, he could build his own kayak so he builds his own personal boat for which he takes ownership.

If you need a hand, I'm in Spokane.

E

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:35 pm
by Cracker Larry
Very cool. I love the title of this thread 8) I'd love to do that trip too, but I'd freeze to death so I ain't going there, but I'll root for you all the way from Georgia :D

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:04 pm
by SP
I have been thinking about how to build out the pilothouse in order to get the most storage/usefulness etc.. and I think I am going to go with this. It is modeled some what after Devlin's Surf Scoter. I am going to push the port side seat forward so that the foot room is in the berth in order to gain more galley space. Starboard side is per plan. I will drop the sole for standing headroom between frames C and D. The square is a sink and the "X" is a one burner stove. I am not sure if having a built in stove and sink is worth it, but it would fit. You can also make the port side seat removeable to gain even more counter space if you want. I am thinking about a built in ice box under the port side seat.

Any suggestions, tips etc... is always welcome.

Surf Scoter

Pilot House layout to scale (sorry for the bad pics, either too dark, or too light with the flash)

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:59 pm
by chicagoross
Seems doable to me! Of course you still have a ways to go before you're laying out the cabin... :D

You will have a ton of storage (Much more than the MM21) in the seat boxes and under the berths, the rear boxes by the motorwell, etc. Just forward of the motorwell I put a hatch in the cockpit sole, where I store the anchors and rodes. Since you are dropping the pilothouse floor, your seat boxes will be very deep. Even built as I did for a day cruiser, it would be no big prolem storing a few weeks of provisions on board for a couple.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:54 pm
by Spokaloo
For that particular piece of water, I'd really lean towards leaving a full, closable bulkhead in the cabin so your sleeping quarters are separate from your cabin. My pilothouse boat has been slept in numerous times on the Wa coast and I can attest that you need as many walls/doors as you can get between your bedding and the 45 degree foggy/rainy nights. Even in all wool, everything will get sopping wet if you leave that area open to the elements, even compared to a closed door on the back of the wheelhouse. You will be wet when you walk in, and that moisture will invariably transfer itself to your sleeping area.

If a larger work space for your cooking needs is necessary, why not make the port side seat back fold down, and make a drop-in countertop that can be stowed while underway? This would give you a work space from the existing countertop all the way to the forward bulkhead, with lots of room for a full size double burner cooktop, which can also be stowed while underway. You get more room for your seating, a larger work space for cooking, dry bedding and privacy where the head will be located, and the ability to use the counter for whatever you need, rather than a dedicated cooktop that doesn't like things set on it.

E

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:17 pm
by SP
Good input, I will definitely give it some thought. I am sure condensation/moisture is going to be an issue.

The pilot house will be closed up, but it sounds like maybe that isn't going to be enough.

What do you think about the subject of heating? I see lots of boats with small wood stoves in the PNW.

Is being able to some how heat the pilothouse/cabin essential for cruising in this area during the summer months? If so, I am not sure if it is even possible with this small of a boat.

Maybe some type of insulation in the V berth/forward cabin might be an option.

Spokaloo wrote:For that particular piece of water, I'd really lean towards leaving a full, closable bulkhead in the cabin so your sleeping quarters are separate from your cabin. My pilothouse boat has been slept in numerous times on the Wa coast and I can attest that you need as many walls/doors as you can get between your bedding and the 45 degree foggy/rainy nights. Even in all wool, everything will get sopping wet if you leave that area open to the elements, even compared to a closed door on the back of the wheelhouse. You will be wet when you walk in, and that moisture will invariably transfer itself to your sleeping area.

If a larger work space for your cooking needs is necessary, why not make the port side seat back fold down, and make a drop-in countertop that can be stowed while underway? This would give you a work space from the existing countertop all the way to the forward bulkhead, with lots of room for a full size double burner cooktop, which can also be stowed while underway. You get more room for your seating, a larger work space for cooking, dry bedding and privacy where the head will be located, and the ability to use the counter for whatever you need, rather than a dedicated cooktop that doesn't like things set on it.

E

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:23 pm
by Spokaloo
Even in May out at Neah for halibut fishing, I've never needed heat. You could add a little wood stove in there, but honestly I don't think it's necessary. There's not much summer weather that can't be fixed with good clothing and a hot cup of your favorite drink. Even a little propane "buddy heater" can do wonders for the morning chill. Just have a little airflow.

E

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:53 am
by gk108
What kind of galley will you have? If your stove is located inside the pilothouse enclosure, there's your heat source. An inverted clay flower pot over the burner will turn it into a cabin heater. 8)

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:20 pm
by Cracker Larry
There ain't no way on God's green earth that I would do theIP without a heater 8O 8O I have spent many cold nights in boats, with a clay flower pot turned upside down over a gas stove burner, works good in a small area but it wasn't the IP either :D

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:03 pm
by SP
Here is the VBerth layed out to scale. From tip to end along the center line is approx 6'6".

For a 18.5' boat, it is actually a pretty good size V-berth.

I am 6' tall, 180 lbs. I fit snug (it would work no problem), but unless you are 5'4" or shorter, there is no way you are going to be able to sleep in there with me with out fighting over the foot space.

If I decide I need more sleeping space (not sure yet), other than building a bigger boat, I could build the galley/seat boxes as designed and open up the port side of the VBerth like this.....

and use an extension as needed on that side of the Vberth.

So far I am pretty impressed with the design. Very flexible and lots of storage for a boat this small.

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:46 pm
by sds
Maybe it's just me, but if I was in that port chair, knees under the dash, face up against the windshield, I'd feel like I was crunched up into a kiddie seat.

The stagger would make conversation/companionship more strained at best. Gaining a few inches of counterspace at the cost of my co-pilots comfort and status isn't a trade I'd make.

Just another angle to consider.

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:19 pm
by chicagoross
I like the frame modification that you drew as a solution to long sleepers. :D I can tell you that you will need a footrest anyway when you drop the sole in the cabin; the mod you drew will solve that problem for the passenger.

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:07 pm
by Yoda Jr.
Another HMD18! Good deal! I've been absent for a bit, and I fear work has ended on mine for the season (we had a dusting of snow last week, and it's raining now). It'll be good to watch someone making progress!

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:32 pm
by SP
I came across a couple decent deals and picked these up for the boat.

Stainless cleats and a compass.