od16 #2 Some Questions???

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

od16 #2 Some Questions???

Post by rcihard »

OK, I am just going to toss these Q's out there without fear or favour, would appreciate a response from the usual suspects of this forum :D
1. Strakes on an od16?? any benefit? i.e. lift, softening in chop?? hull protection when beached etc?? or are they a total waste of bloody time on a flat bottomed boat????
2. Skeg running the whole length of the hull (But Tapered) to help pick up pilot roller of the trailer when recovering boat onto trailer??. hope this makes sense, still intend to bunks and have guide boards (as per Cl'S trailer). But would a skeg this long cause any major problems? My last dory had a 3" inch tapered skeg ( by the way it was not 610mm X610 mm as per plan recommendation :doh: )
3. Moving Center consol by about 650mm forward of plan recommendation, like the idea for trimming bow down, I dont go fast (and am aware of need to load up stern in following sea), just like the bow down when running about ( I cruise not bruise!) and like the extra space towards the stern.
Hope you all can help with these questions.
Cheers
Richard
Built od16, d5 and 1/3 of a gt27

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: od16 #2 Some Questions???

Post by wegcagle »

I certainly don't know all of the answers to your questions, but I think it would be a waste of time and money to put strakes on with a good sized skeg on this boat (especially if you decide to run the skeg the full length of the bottom). No added benefits. I would also think that it's fine to move the console forward, but I would shift some weight to the stern. Maybe build a bench seat across the stern, and store your batteries and fuel tank back there as well.

JMO

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

1. Strakes on an od16?? any benefit? i.e. lift, softening in chop?? hull protection when beached etc?? or are they a total waste of bloody time on a flat bottomed boat????
Let me first qualify this to say my experience is with the OD18 and GF16, not the OD16. I think the characteristics would be similar though.

I don't see any benefit except possible hull protection when beached, but if it's a rocky beach then chances are good that a rock will hit the hull anyway and not one of the strakes. Mine has a skeg only, it's a little deeper, longer and beefier than the plans call for. It is glassed on with 2 layers of 12 oz tape, has 4 layers of graphite/epoxy, and a 1/4" X 1" aluminum flat bar running the entire length. I beach it anywhere I want or need too, without damage so far :D
2. Skeg running the whole length of the hull (But Tapered) to help pick up pilot roller of the trailer when recovering boat onto trailer??.
Maybe not a bad idea, but mine tracks so well with it's partial skeg that I wonder if it would make it harder to maneuver at slow speeds and tight places :doh: My OD18 tracks like it's on rails and holds any heading at any speed, hands free, head sea or following sea doesn't matter. This boat doesn't wander around, it stays where you point it. A full length skeg might make it hard to turn.

I don't have center rollers on my trailer, the boat is supported entirely by the bunk boards under the stringers.
3. Moving Center consol by about 650mm forward of plan recommendation,
If my metrics are right, that's only 2.56 inches. Should be no problem at all. I moved mine a few inches forward also.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by rcihard »

Thanks guys for your replies.
Um..Larry, 650mm is 2 foot 2 inches (65mm is 2.56inches :) ), I moved my last consol about a foot and a half forward without any noticable problems in trim, so I am thinking of going an extra foot this time, do you have any thoughts on this enterprise :?:
My dory also tracked very well, the extension to the skeg would only be about 1.5 inches deep and as mentioned mainly so I can pick up the pilot roller to center the boat on the trailer. Do you think an inch and a half would compromise handling at slow speed :?:
Thanks Will re comments about batteries etc, will keep my eye on load placement.
Cheers
Richard
Built od16, d5 and 1/3 of a gt27

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Um..Larry, 650mm is 2 foot 2 inches (65mm is 2.56inches :) ),
I'm metrically challenged, sorry. I thought I might have screwed that up :oops: That's a long way. I don't know. The console isn't the concern, it's the Capt and crew weight standing behind the console. That could easily be 400 pounds, 2' further in front of the CG than designed. It's going to take a lot of batteries to balance that weight.
Do you think an inch and a half would compromise handling at slow speed
If you run it the full length of the boat, I think probably so. Why even mess with rollers on the trailer? Flat bottom boat trailers don't generally use rollers around here and we've got a lot of flat bottom boats around here.

The designer really does, pretty much, know what he's doing :wink:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

I'm with C Larry on the trailer. Just put some side guides on the trailer and flat boards for the bottom. Gives it the best support.
I also would just use the skeg called for (or a bit bigger) Where I beach there ain't much sand, only Rocks and I've only got a couple small chips where I've hit them. I just try to be as careful as possible, but with rocks there gonna chip something. Glass in that part of the boat is probably close to 1/2" thick so I really don't worry, it can always be touched up. I also moved my console forward some, I think a few inchs is all.
Larry B
Completed: FL14, OD18

rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by rcihard »

CL & Larry B, thanks for your replies, I think I will have to rethink my ideas, all of your observations make sense to me 8) so I will give the long skeg the flick and keep the consol at the same spot as the last dory :D
"The designer really does, pretty much, know what he is doing :wink:" I thought my skeg idea would be ok after I read the plans info that said " skeg 610mm x 610 mm x 1800 tapered (thats 2foot by 2foot by 6foot long :!: :!: ) yeah I know it was a typo :!:
Thanks again guys for taking the time to answer my questions
Cheers
Richard

TomD

Post by TomD »

Richard,

I moved my console about 2 feet fwds on my OD 18 and if anything, I still get people to move fwds to help getting on the plane, so I don't think it can hurt. You can always move some weight backwards. I wanted more room behind the console.

I would not extend the skeg, but I might deepen it a bit. My boat will drift and is a little tricky to steer when turning at slow speeds eg. docking, with a cross wind. I have a T top though.

The underside of the boat rises at the front anyways, so when trailering the first place to contact the trailer will be about where the skeg begins as is - so a bunk either side of this should be plenty to help you center the boat.

Hope this helps.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, the skeg is not 2' square in section, that is a typo. :?

About the weight, on plane, the OD16/18 like weight forward.
During the tests we moved the console forward several times and the boat worked well with the console where we show it and up to 24" forward of that.
It all depends on how you will usually load the boat. Alone in the boat with a fuel tank forward and some ground tackle under the foredeck, it all works fine but with a heavy battery in the back and a 2nd crew member next to the console, move the console forward.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

rcihard
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by rcihard »

Thanks Tom & Jacques for your replies.
Glad to hear your comments re the consol Jacques, as my chase tube does exit from the sole a little further forward than the last dory so I will be moving the consol about 1.5 - 2 foot further forward :D :D .
I certainly did not notice any problems with the last dory, my wife and I are fair weather boaters, so tend to pick good days and cruise around sheltered waters and we very much liked the extra space behind the consol:lol:
Tom the last skeg was about 3 inches deep and I found that the boat tracked really well, I intend to make this one just as deep but will not extend it as per my previous idea, thanks again for your observations.
Back to building
Richard