Pro Wader FS18, SPLASHED

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Pro Wader FS18

Post by Cracker Larry »

That's a lot of cutting for a Dremel Roto Zip 8O
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Jerry-rigged
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jerry-rigged »

Pro Wader wrote:I'm done for the day. A sharp ROTO-ZIP bit makes quick work of the Okume but it dulls out pretty quick and that's when the WORK begins. I found out they have a carbide bit. I'll try one tomorrow.
How hard is it to cut a straight line with that rotozip? I have a regular dremal, and a spiral cut / rotozip bit. It cuts quickish, but is a real b!t@h to make it run an almost straight-ish (within a 1/4") line... :doh:
Fishing from a paddle boat...

Pro Wader
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pro Wader »

Jerry I used the roto zip just to get everything into smaller pieces then I trimmed them up with the skill saw.

The roto zip was a goo idea in theory but lacking in the practical application.

Pro Wader
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pro Wader »

Well, I hope everyone had a great Christmas. Over the Christmas break I have had the opportunity to make a little more saw dust.
Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Looking good Charlie. :)

Pro Wader
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pro Wader »

I got my glass and epoxy in this week so I had a chance to tape the bottom and side sections together. Not having any experience glassing at all, I feel that I successfully passed another character building exercise LOL. Tomorrow I'll flip and tape the other side.

I don't find good deals often, but this week I found a two year old trailer that had been dipped in fresh water price.

Time for a cold beer now. Have a good weekend.

Pro Wader
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pro Wader »

Sometimes you have to pay for an education...one sheet of plywood at a time.

I planned on stitching the skiff together, but something just didn't look right. I really screwed up my stringers. Without going into a lot of detail on my screw up, there was no choice but to start over on my stringers. Building stringers out of scrap for the first time builder may not be the best idea

So with one piece of plywood left, I cut eight 41/8" strips, stacked them together and trimmed the stack down to 4". Now my stringers are uniform and straight. It also saved me a bunch of time from making them from scraps.

Today is just another learning opportunity. I'll post pics later. WHEW! I need a beer.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

There wasn't any way I was going to piece together all those scraps to make stringers either :help:

Glue them up first, then stack them and cut them together.

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Pro Wader
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pro Wader »

Larry.

I went back and looked at yours and I did these stringers just like yours.

Thanks for leading the way.

Fishwater
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fishwater »

Pro Wader wrote:I have heard of the builders meet and hope to get "BETSY" wet by then. Now that reality has set in, I think it will take mor time to get her finished than I anticipated. But I am still shooting for April or May.
I think nearly everyone had earlier finish dates than what the reality was. I started building mine more than 18 months ago. I figured I'd finish in 4-5 months. Life gets in the way of boat building. Since beginning, I've added a home, a child and gotten through most of a degree.

I had to remake my stringers too. I've had to do a couple of things twice. After finishing the interior frames and the rubrail, my brother in law, best friend, and I flipped it. I'm in the process of sharpening the edges, adding the skeg, and fairing. I commented to my wife today that I have a lot of work left...mostly sanding as I'm sure most builders will attest. A little more attention to detail in the front end would have saved me a lot of time. When I told her the next build would be a lot easier, she wasn't amused.