FS14 Lowered Sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14 Lowered Sheer

Post by Noles309 »

What is the LOA after lowering the sheer 3"? Very interested in your build as I have thought of doing the same I just can't decide on a boat. Great job so far.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

BradleyD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BradleyD »

What is the LOA after lowering the sheer 3"? Very interested in your build as I have thought of doing the same I just can't decide on a boat. Great job so far.
I believe it took around 2" from the total length. Thanks for the compliment. I'm pleased with the progress I've made but realize I have a lot to learn after looking at other builds on the site.

Got the skeg glued on today and the highs/lows are getting closer and closer together. I found the skeg to be a little more of a pain that I had intended. Ran a router over the edge and a nice fillte but still had a hard time getting the air out of the relatively narrow piece of glass. Ended up acceptable in the end. Hopefully in a couple more rounds of QuickFair I will be ready for a coat of primer.

BradleyD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BradleyD »

After work piled up on me quick I finally made some progress this week. Finished fairing and got the second coat of primer on this evening. I'm pretty pleased with the fairing job...but the paint job could have been better. I'm using BLP's Mopoxy primer and Mothane paint which I've used in the past but always sprayed. Tried to roll and tip the primer and it just did not level out as well as I wanted it to. If all goes well should have paint on this weekend. I'm ready to flip this thing and start on the inside!

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Looks real nice Bradley :!: Do you know where a guy could get a look at a color chart for BLP paints. Been looking at their website and don't see one.
Thanks, Paul

BradleyD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BradleyD »

Paul,
I got my color chart from a local dealer. I can scan and send you a copy if you would like but on a computer the colors may not show as they truely are. I'm pretty sure they can custom match colors as well.

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Thanks Bradley
Do you use the two part Polyurethane and if so do you think it can be applied with a brush? Also, do you think they can ting that same paint. My son wants a Mopar Color called sublime green, I have the codes etc.. What I don't have is access to a marine paint that can be rolled and tipped that is a high quality two part paint. I found a swatch online for Lime at one of their paintstores but thought it was a decorator color.

Thanks, Paul

Looks like you've done a nice job on fairing your skiff.

BradleyD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BradleyD »

Paul,
Thanks for the compliment. Yes, the paint will be the two part polyurethane and the primer is their two part epoxy. The only time I've brushed it was using a roller on a floor with nonskid so it was hard to tell how well the polyurethane would have looked. The primer did not lay down as well as I had liked but think if I had thinned it a little it would have been better...or if I was a better painter :D I'm going to sand on this second coat and get the little imperfection out hopefully today. I'm going to try to roll and tip the first coat of paint and see how well it works and let you know. If it doesn't do well I'll sand and spray the remaining coats. The color chart I have only has about 30 pretty standard colors and says they do custom colors. I would think if you have the color code they shouldn't have a problem matching it.

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Thanks Bradley, do you have the name of the store you use or should I just pick one off the list.

Thanks, Paul

BradleyD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BradleyD »

Sunday evening was perfect weather to put on the first coat of paint. I did decide I would just go ahead and spray it instead so got everything set up and a little over half way through my compressor locks up :x I'm not that surprised because it has been used well beyond its means over the past few years but I could think of 100 different activities that I would have rather it stop working on instead of spraying my boat. As a result I also get to buy a new gun since I could not properly clean mine with no air. But I did get a chance to try and roll and tip the paint on one side of the boat but did not turn out so well. Probably due to operator error more than anything...I just don't seem to have to knack to get good results from it. On the bright side it is nice to see the boat white! A little (more) sanding and she'll be ready for a second coat but will probably be a couple weeks.

Brad

Sprayed Side

Brushed Side

BradleyD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BradleyD »

Been a while since the last post but since then the paint has been finished,hull flipped, and today was able to get the inside glassed. Decided to go a little different route with the paint. Thought the blue would add a little character. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get the stringers and frames tabbed in and get this thing going soon...the specks and flounder are patiently waiting :D