modifications to gf 16 new build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: modifications to gf 16 new build

Post by Prarie Dog »

Does anyone know what is an acceptable amount of variation on the flat part of a GF? We just used a two gallon kit of fairing material to flatten the back of T's GF. :oops: But it's really flat, much better than the "Popping Cork". I did what Larry says to do, screwed the back of the hull down to the build table, not tight just snug, supported the bow (Transom :D ) then glassed the inside and installed the tunnel. I think where we kinda lost the bubble is failing to trim the frames enough which forced the sides out causing the bottom to be low in the middle, also had a bump in front of the tunnel. If we build ten of these we might get it figured out. Having said all that the GF18 performs very well, so I don't think it's all that critical.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Does anyone know what is an acceptable amount of variation on the flat part of a GF?
I would say the rear 6'-8' on a GF16. The part that's in the water needs to be flat.

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

levicitus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by levicitus »

Thanks again for all the help. I haven't posted for a while. I'm ready to run stringers for the sole and have a couple questions.
I'm using yellow pine 1x
1. Should be placed over the runners a@ 16" apart
2. Given that I will run cross members to the stringers port to starboard at 1' intervals. Will 1/4" sole material be sufficient?
I will cover with 6oz. Thanks ahead of time. happiness is an occupied jig.

levicitus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by levicitus »

Tried for two hours to post pics last nite. Seems my phone camera is too good to be compatible with the website software as the pics are distorted when reduced enough to fit the format. Any ideas?
Cracker Larry. How did you post the above pics? Wern't the pics from that particular thread lost? The way you just did that is the way I wand to use the forum. Post the pic and explain or question related to the pic. Am I making sense? thanks

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Cracker Larry. How did you post the above pics? Wern't the pics from that particular thread lost?
Yes, all the pics in my GF16 and OD18 build galleries were deleted, but they are still on my computer :D I just uploaded it again. I've still got them all if you need to see anything specific.
Seems my phone camera is too good to be compatible with the website software as the pics are distorted when reduced enough to fit the format. Any ideas?
Smart phones have a weird pic format, like the new flat screen TVs. It sounds like you have re-sized them to 640X480, which is causing the distortion. I use photoshop and I tell it to maintain proportions when I re-size. Always make the widest dimension 640 pixels, the narrow dimension ends up at 361 pixels, which maintains the proportions.

The pic above was taken with an older camera that used the traditional format. The pic below is from a DroidX, notice the difference in dimensions

1. Should be placed over the runners a@ 16" apart
That sounds about right, it would divide the space into 3 equal sections. Since a sole isn't specified for the GF16, you are sort of on your own. Check out T's GF12 thread for some sole ideas too.
Given that I will run cross members to the stringers port to starboard at 1' intervals. Will 1/4" sole material be sufficient?
I will cover with 6oz.
1 foot intervals would be closer than necessary, 2' would be plenty. I think 1/4 is a little thin but you need to keep the weight down. If you fill the area between the bottom and sole with 2 part foam it will add a lot of extra support and 1/4 might be OK.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

levicitus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by levicitus »

I need more epoxy and might as well order paint while I'm at it. I want to use the high build primer because I want as smooth a surface as I can get it but I'm painting camo pattern on the outside and a solid matching color inside. Top coat has to be flat and I want a paint that will be thin. Not like latex flat or duck boat paint. More like a quality smooth paint with 4 to 5 mil finish. Is this available in store or are there any ideas on where to get this? Thanks ahead. b happy

levicitus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by levicitus »

Anyone have a good tip or two on mixing and applying graphite on the bottom?

PastorBob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by PastorBob »

run your graphite through a strainer... Don't over do the graphite it will get clumpy.... Be prepared for lots of coats... USE EPOXY RATED rollers!!! Have tweezers ready to remove bugs...
... you thought epoxy was strong!
Romans 8:38-39

levicitus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by levicitus »

PastorBob, Thanks for the help I especially enjoyed the comment bout da bugs. Think I have some paint strainers for the graphite. I'm on the last leg of the build and will post pics of the splash. Thanks for the help

levicitus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by levicitus »

Are enamel paints epoxy compatible?