modifications to gf 16 new build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
PastorBob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: modifications to gf 16 new build

Post by PastorBob »

I don't see why it would't stick... For an inexpensive paint I recommend Rust-Oleum marine paint. I have used about every marine paint available and for a "work boat" finish it holds up just as well as epifanes and Interlux 1part paints. The Kirby paints are good also but again for a bargain you can't beat Rust-Oleum... You will want to use a primer on the bare resin no matter the type of paint. Also leave some tooth to the surface no need to sand above 180 (or 120 :wink: ) if you want a glass finish you will be finish sanding / buffing the paint.

I just noticed you are also in Mid TN. We should meet up some time!
... you thought epoxy was strong!
Romans 8:38-39

levicitus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by levicitus »

ok then. Can anyone tell me how to roll 12 oz tape over the runners on this boat? I rounded the edges with 1/4' bit prior to taping. I can't get the tape to lay down on the flat edge. I worked going back and forth smoothing it down and ended up pulling it of concerned that if I left it after the epoxy set I'd have a real mess. I'm considering rounding over the entire edge but don't want to do that. I had to use 3/4"white pine. I couldn't get 1" spruce over the bend in the front... Thanks in advance

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

its a little tight, but you can do a couple things to make it turn. Make your fillets 30 minutes or so ahead of time and at the same time coat all the wood, that way when you lay down the tape it will be super tacky and hold the tape down while you wet it out with new epoxy. Just make sure when you put the tape down you do it so that it does not need to be moved around, I would just unroll it right on top of the strake/runner. With light pressure from a chip brush you should be able to push the tape into the sticky epoxy and fillet

PastorBob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by PastorBob »

try to lay the glass down wet.... I put my glass tape in a ziplock weigh it and mix and equal amount of resin put the resin in the zip lock and work it in the tape pull the tape out and work it in... another thing is trying to make you radius more than 1/4 I use 1/2 or better on everything.. the glass likes it better.
... you thought epoxy was strong!
Romans 8:38-39