Cedarock's gf14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Cedarock's gf14

Post by Cracker Larry »

The paint is easypoxy by pettit. Off white and bikini blue. It was rolled on with a foam roller and tipped with a paint dampened foam brush. I really like that paint for the money and my experience with it has proven it will last a long time!
I really like that paint also. It's very good for the money, applies easy and holds up well. Nice color scheme 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

I like that color scheme a lot cedarock 8) That was one fast and well built boat. Great job. On my GV15 I used the 2 part S3 paint, and it has already started to crack and my dang boat has never seen water :x After reading all of the reviews I am also going to use easypoxy. I haven't heard a bad thing about it.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

topwater

Post by topwater »

They have a new version out now called easypoxy2 . suppose to be real easy to use. I was thinking of trying it
out on the inside of my cabin first to see how i like it before i choose a paint for the rest of the boat.
Novi 23 finally launched !

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

Thanks guys......that makes me feel better about the color scheme! Will.....I have sanded off my share of s3 paint and it is frustrating to say the least! I don't think it is very durable in the South. The only bad reviews I have seen on the easypoxy is that some think it is hard to apply ( messy rather). I just don't get it. I use the cheap foam brushes and roller covers and throw them away....it don't clean up with water but rubber gloves will keep it off of me. BTW, that was only two coats....it covers well! I did use the s3 primer....like that a lot.

I applied some easypoxy on the transom and bottom after I glassed over a tunnel on a boat that I used to own back in the late 80's. The boat was a 1988 model and I just didn't like how it performed with a tunnel! I kept it for several years and eventually sold it to a friend. Shortly after I finished the hm in 08, we visited that friend at the coast and I saw the boat and checked out how the repair was doing and I couldn't believe how well that paint was holding up! It was in a somewhat protected area that gets no foot traffic or scraping from beaching, but it looked better than the original gel coat around it. I am sure that there are plenty of paints that give a better finish and are easier to apply but I like it for the money. I can't figure out what it is with the s3 paint and the south but several of us have had issues with it and then there are several that like it a lot! Go figure!

That sounds like a good plan topwater!

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

[quote="cedarock"Image[/quote] 8) SWEET!! 8)

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

I rolled the first coat of ultra tuff on the sole this evening and it didn't cover at all! It was left over from 08 when I built the fs12 and is a sand color. I remember having a time to get it to cover on the fs 12, mainly on the vertical surfaces, and having to cover it in an oil based paint to be satisfied. I think that something was wrong with it back then and four years later it is worse! I did read tonight that it only has a one year shelf life! :D So..... my fault! It might have been on the shelf for a year when I bought it making it five or six years old now. I used a different color on the sole of the hm in a different color, knowing it would just be on the sole where I could apply it thicker, and it covered well and seems to be durable! :doh:

So I scraped what I could off with a putty knife and cleaned it up before it had a chance to cure and now have to figure something else out......either order some kiwi from bateau or paint the sole with textured easypoxy. I am leaning towards painting the sole with textured bikini blue easypoxy. I think that if I use the off white, it will be really bright in the direct sun! It is bright enough now. But then again......textured off white might knock the glare down too!

Any suggestions? I have plenty of both paints and additive!

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

I don't know....might just use the off white! Notice the difference in shine on the rear deck in this pic!

I think that would tone it down enough and with navy seats, a blue sole might be too much blue and hot on the tootsies too!

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

I decided to order some kiwi and I was impressed with how easy it went on! :) I started applying it a little thin but once I got in a groove, it was nice. It covers well and I have enough left out of two quarts to cover it again down the road.

She is done and ready for launch! I made the transom 17" tall, which is what I did on the fs12 and it worked well for a 15 inch motor. I hope that the little bit of deadrise on the fs doesn't make it perform different, causing cavitation in the turns on the gf. I think I will wait to bolt it on and just clamp it on for now! Sure would hate to cut through the glass on top of the transom.

Anyway, I will post a launch thread next week unless I come back in shame! :)

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

She is a looker for sure, I'm sure the splash will go great. Congrats 8)
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

cedarock
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cedarock »

Thanks George! I am looking forward to Saturday morning for sure.