FS155 (FS17 scaled to 90%) Completed

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jaydillyo@yahoo.com
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS155 (FS17 scaled to 90%) Completed

Post by jaydillyo@yahoo.com »

Thanks for the review on the Suzuki. I have had my eye on this motor and haven't seen any real performance reports. Are you happy that you went with the 30 hp or do you think the 25 hp would have been fine? As far as I can tell the only difference between the two is the 30 hp has a higher rpm limit.
FS14 in 4...3...2...1...

michael c
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by michael c »

jorgepease wrote:Nice boat ) My neighbors dog looks just as intently at every fish we bring on board!

Maybe I understood wrong but the idea behind being able to achieve max rpms is not that you eliminate strain on the motor at all rpm ranges. If you can't get her into the upper rpm range at WOT then your adding stress at whatever rpm you run.
Thanks! Yep, that was always my understanding too, but I have a suspicion it relates more to constant deadrise hulls where, basically, you go faster as you apply more power. In this case, based on both design and my implementation of it, there is more of a "wall" around 30mph, no matter how I prop it. So I'm trying to decide whether to prop based on traditional advice or to prop to get cruise rpm's at an ideal level. That's part of the fun, though, right :lol:

michael c
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by michael c »

remedy32 wrote:
Overall, I think the boat/motor combination is great. Any more power would be wasted, any more weight on the transom would cause trim issues. I think it would be a good motor even on the full-size fs17 with a small console, and I'm extremely glad I didn't go with a 40hp.
Nice build and great comments in your last 2 posts! After 5 seasons with the FS17 I agree on all the points you've hit. The attraction of more power seems to cloud peoples thinking sometimes. This boat whether 15.5 or 17 feet LOA is most comfortable at speeds of 20-25 and not too much more. Because it's light it planes at relatively low speeds in the 12-18 mph range with minimal pitch change. Comfort goes way down if you insist on running fast in choppy water, why bother? Would agree that a light and simple tiller skiff would probably work real well with your 25-30 hp power choice. The C/C model with raised sheer is very happy with my aging Yamaha 40. Enjoy the boat!

Bill
Thanks! Yep, the positives of a nearly perfect boat at realistic speeds definitely outweigh any minor limitations. I got exactly what I was looking for in the boat. I'd much rather have it perform best from 15-28 mph, since that's where most people spend their time on boats this size in coastal areas.

michael c
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by michael c »

jaydillyo@yahoo.com wrote:Thanks for the review on the Suzuki. I have had my eye on this motor and haven't seen any real performance reports. Are you happy that you went with the 30 hp or do you think the 25 hp would have been fine? As far as I can tell the only difference between the two is the 30 hp has a higher rpm limit.
Happy to help! I was in the same boat - I struggled a lot when deciding on the motor because there weren't a lot of reviews. That's why I've posted so much detail - I decided to provide as much info as I could for anyone else making the same decision.

I'm happy I went with the 30 hp, but I don't know that it would have made a huge difference. I wanted flexibility, and as much power as I could possibly get while staying in the 160 pound range. I think that the only difference is being tuned for higher rpm's, so particularly if your boat is a tad lighter, I don't think the 25hp would be bad. There are definitely more options with the 25hp model if you are looking to keep it simple.

byboatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by byboatbuilder »

I read with much interest your post regarding the 30hp Suzuki since I am in the finish stages of my FS17 build and am looking at purchasing this same motor on line. I am including a casting deck, full center console, and permanent fuel tank (12 gallon). I have no interest in speed and would like to know if you think this engine would be adequate for a basic low speed plane.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

A 30 HP should work fine. We tested a well equipped full size FS17 with a 25 and it planed with 2 persons on board.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

byboatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by byboatbuilder »

Again, thanks so much for your expertise. It seems odd that I could pick this boat up almost by myself when it was flipped and now it takes some effort just to roll it in and out of my garage. Glad to know that the finished weight should not have an adverse affect on my motor preference.

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

The only real knocks I have heard about the Zuke are a lack of props available for them. Especially, if you want to run it shallow and jacked up.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I agree the 30 Suzuki would be a nice motor for you. There are more props available than thought out there. Power Tech has a 4 blade SRA-4 that can be used for it as well as some 3 blades. Then Turbo has Hot Shot series for motors from 18 to 70 HP motors available, they are 3 blades.

The SRA-4 would be my recommendation if you have a jack plate and then lift it a couple of inches.

Hope this helps you.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

byboatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by byboatbuilder »

Thanks Tom from a fellow Carolinian who lives just north of the RDU area in Roxboro. My wife was recently in your area with our granddaughter and daughter in law for a trip on the Polar Express. They were very impressed with the experience, especially the train ride and visit with Santa. The best price I have found for this engine is on line from Cumberland Watersports located in Dickerson Tenn. which is not too far from Bryson City. No tax and free shipping. Are you familiar with these folks?