FS155 (FS17 scaled to 90%) Completed

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
michael c
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS155 (FS17 scaled to 90%) Completed

Post by michael c »

I made the first cuts today on the FS17 scaled at 90%. The sole is cut. I wouldn't normally start on the sole, but I'm back in the panhandle on a week's break from grad school, and needed two sheets of marine ply. It's much easier to transport pre-cut, and since all I can get in Tallahassee is marine fir 1/2", that'll be the sole. I can't get ANY marine ply where I'm going to school, and shipping for two sheets is prohibitive compared to $60/sheet for this. I have more than enough meranti for everything else. I always glass the sole anyway, so fir isn't too much of a liability. It weighs 47 lbs a sheet, so even with thirsty Douglas Fir, it should only add about 15-20 lbs over 3/8" meranti glassed the same way for the whole sole. Since it's cheaper, stiffer (good thing for dive tanks), and more rot-resistant, I'll carry one less bag of ice on the boat and go for the fir sole :wink:

As I'm doing the calculations and nesting, I'm becoming convinced that 90% is the minimum to scale this and have it come out cheaper. 91-92% costs another two sheets of 1/4" for the hull alone, plus some other nesting issues. I'm not scaling for financial reasons per se, but it makes sense to keep it in mind if 1% less boat saves me a couple of hundred dollars.

It'll be about a week before I can get back to cutting at home, and I'll post more then.
Last edited by michael c on Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS155 started - for real.

Post by tobolamr »

Congratulations! I look forward to pics and more posts!

michael c
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by michael c »

tobolamr wrote:Congratulations! I look forward to pics and more posts!
Thanks! The sole isn't the most exciting thing (especially with the boring marine fir), but here's the first bit cut. It's going to be a big 15 footer in terms of space - at least compared to my GV12 :D

michael c
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by michael c »

And since I passed the old boat (GV11/12) on to a kid in the FWB area, here's a couple of pic's of my last trip on it. If this new build gives me half as much pleasure as the GV11 did, I'll be a happy camper. And yes, before anyone calls FWC on me, those are Lane snapper, not red snapper 8)

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Looking good so far Michael :D

Your old boats looks good, and the pics look like a fun place to use one 8)
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

michael c
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by michael c »

gstanfield wrote:Looking good so far Michael :D

Your old boats looks good, and the pics look like a fun place to use one 8)
Thanks! Yeah, definitely a fun place. Really miss it, although I'm finding WV pretty in its own way.

So, got the molds and initial frames/transom all cut out, at 90% the nesting allows you to rotate frame A to fit in a 48" wide sheet. Same for the bow section of the sole.

I drew the aft sections of the sides and bottom on cheap ply for a template because I thought the nesting would be tight. In fact, it's so tight that for almost a foot they share the same line, but it works. This means if you use something else for rubrail/sheer, you can get away with 4 sheets of 1/4". Also, nesting for frames looks like 5 sheets. Ill know for sure after i cut the frames that replace the molds and the stringers. Not earth-shattering savings, but nice to know.

Ill post pics tomorrow.

michael c
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by michael c »

Here's the line between the bottom and side panels. Ignore the batten, it's not on any actual lines. I'll use a pull-saw to cut it at this point, but otherwise, it works.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Interesting build, will certainly be following along. Your GV11 looked to be a no nonsense fishing boat :!: Nice trigger fish.

michael c
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by michael c »

shine wrote:Interesting build, will certainly be following along. Your GV11 looked to be a no nonsense fishing boat :!: Nice trigger fish.
Thanks! My buddy went back to the same spot last week, they couldn't get the bait to the bottom without being hit by triggers. Pound for pound, that GV was the best boat I've ever had. You always get funny looks from tourists a couple of miles offshore in a 12ft boat, popping up from a dive with snapper and AJ's. :lol:

Hopefully this build will be more of the same.

michael c
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by michael c »

OK, so finally got everything stitched together.