Page 1 of 1

GF14 upgrade with console

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:22 am
by deuce_454
I completed a GF 14 a few years back, the panels including the botttom was 1/4 inch as specified in the plans (3/8 inch ply for bottom was optional but i opted fro 1/4 for weight reasons...) the floppy bottom and nose up attitude under power have annoued me ever since so this spring i built a console for a teleflex steering, bought a tohatsu 18 horse 4 stroke to replace the honda 10 hp. and laminated a layer of 10 mm divinycell on the inside of the bottom...

this has changed the boat from a large usefull but a bit clumpsy boat to a nimble and very very versatile boat... the steering still allows rowing the boat, it starts with a twist of a key and it planes at 26 mph without any real flopping of the bottom panels....

im sure prop choice and finetrimming will net a few extra mph (as will a light weight driver :D )

Re: GF14 upgrade with console

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:26 am
by deuce_454
and here is a few pics of the finished evolution of the jon boat now named the green flash (its painted out and in with a epifanes PU paint in opal green)

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:18 am
by gstanfield
Sweet :!:

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:45 am
by Doc_Dyer
I like the forward controls, looks wicked on the water 8)

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:08 pm
by Seadation
That looks great!

Do you have any idea as to cost of steering with "wheel" vs stick steering? What I mean is, do you know if your what is appreciably more than the kit for stick steering? I realize a console is required but that would be fun to build.

Thanks,

/david

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:36 pm
by Prarie Dog
Duece, that looks real cool. We're building a GF12+T+S right now that we put stringers in and a sole so we could get rid of the middle seat. I hadn't thought of building a steering station like yours, very creative, not to mention, cool looking. 8) We're using a minature center console.

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:45 pm
by deuce_454
hmm i guess the only extra cost was the steering kit, i ordered a teleflex kit from ebay with a 13 foot cable, steering wheel and a steering arm for about 200USD all included, the motor control box with gear was bought with the engine, as was the fuel tank.. so the complete extra cost for me was about 280 USD, including a new 65 amp marine battery..

the console was constructed from left over 1/4 inch plywood for the sides and 1/2 inch for the "top" where the steering box gets mounted.. all in all it took 3 days including reinforcing the bottom (that i made from 1/4 inch to begin with and laminating the box.. AND sanding and painting the boat inside and out)

it makes a world of difference to the boat that feels like its come to its right

i can only recomend it to anyome building a GF14... it even feels like it could handle alittle more power :D

I took some pics of the box pre-epoxy with measurements in centimeteres.. feel free to copy :D

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:49 pm
by tobolamr
Nice job on that console!

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:04 pm
by cedarock
Neat idea......just curious, did you try a hydrofoil when using the tiller? I have a little bit of a bouncy bow when running solo in my gf at full throttle with the motor all the way down. It doesn't bother me that much....in fact not enough to try and move weight forward but have been considering getting one!

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:39 pm
by deuce_454
never tried a hydrofoil, just a tiller extension that did the job perfectly, so when the honda died and it was time to shop for another engine and i found the nissan/tohatsu 18 horse 4 stroke with remote and electric start.. so the forward steering conversion seemed logical...

(the honda was only a 10 horse by the way so it never really got on a plane with the weight all the way back... )

Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:44 pm
by cedarock
Oh okay....I gotcha! You did have a high bow then! Enjoy the new 4 stroke....sounds like it is performing well!

Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:52 am
by deuce_454
Ill try and get the trim right this weekend and get some rund with the GPS to what she tops out at.. im allready considdering re-faring the bottom and getting the transom edge sharper, this can only mean one thing.. time to get a new project going instead of re-re-doing somthing that works so well allready :D ...

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:38 pm
by FMCSK
Argentina Federico hello hope you understand my question traduccion.quiero watching your boat has an engine short leg which is the measure of the mirror where the engine is supported .. because at the figure for long leg ... thanks