Birmingham RB14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
94Virago
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Birmingham RB14

Post by 94Virago »

This weekend we can buy plywood tax-free for emergency preparedness.

Sadly, there's still no 4mm marine ply available around here.
--Wolfe
"When in doubt, give it more throttle."

94Virago
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 94Virago »

Just ordered the Silvertip kit for this boat. Ordered this before ordering the 1/4" ply so I could go ahead and assemble the stringers and transom.
--Wolfe

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

I really like the SIlverTip. Other than the cost issue, It would be a near impossible sell to get me to go back to any other brand(s). :)

When/if the cost comes down, I've got two projects planned already, once I've got a building area arranged again.

I don't know if you've used other products before. If you have, I think you will like ST. :)

94Virago
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 94Virago »

ks8 wrote:I don't know if you've used other products before. If you have, I think you will like ST. :)
This is my first build. For me, it's going to be like driving a Porsche. Using anything else will seem like total garbage. :wink: Might as well stick with the good stuff, eh?
--Wolfe

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Some other brands are quite good, but the SilverTip certainly raises the bar in several ways. I would not too quickly denounce any others. MarinEpoxy is a very good value, and a good epoxy, but be sure to use it up in a year or two. The SIlver Tip wets out so nicely though, no blush encountered yet, mixes easily, good shelf life, better specs, but again, the specs of some other brands are well within the range for use in these designs, and certainly less of a strain on the wallet, but I *do* like SilverTip! :) And I think you will also. :)

94Virago
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 94Virago »

Tomorrow I'm gluing the transom together. My question is this: Is it better to do all of the layers at once or one-by-one (two layers, let it dry, add the third, let it dry, add the fourth)?
--Wolfe

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I glue all the layers at one time. Dry fit them and clamp them together, then drill 3 holes through it and insert short 3 pieces of wooden dowels. This will keep all the pieces aligned. Take it apart, prime and glue one layer, insert the dowels, set on the next layer, prime and glue it, then the next. Just stack them up on the dowels. Like this....

Dry fit

Glue

Stack and clamp

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

94Virago
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 94Virago »

Thank you, Larry. Now where am I going to find a section of railroad?
--Wolfe

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Use some concrete blocks, or screws, or bolts, or plastic water jugs, or stand on it until it drys :lol: The transom doesn't care. I've got several different size pieces of train rail, great stuff :D There is a railroad yard a couple of miles from me that lays and repairs track. They have cut off scraps that they throw away, or sell as scrap metal.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

icelikkilinc

Post by icelikkilinc »

[quote="Cracker Larry"]or stand on it until it drys :lol: quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ilker

TW28 launch: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23369