Birmingham RB14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Birmingham RB14

Post by Southern Gent »

William Connected with Southern Gent

94Virago
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 94Virago »

As tempted as I was to take a picture of myself standing on the transom as it dried a la Cracker Larry's advice, I decided not to gamble on it.

Instead, I used a pair of pickle buckets I fished out of the dumpster at work and filled with water. They weighed in at about 40lbs each.

You can just make out the curve of the tumblehome along the bottom there.
--Wolfe
"When in doubt, give it more throttle."

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

The transom was maybe the first thing I laminated on my first build. It was a great feeling holding it after it cured and was cleaned up. A tangible proof that I was actually building a boat. Showed it to guests that Christmas and told them it was going to become a boat... :D I'm anticipating seeing more pictures of the first RB build I know of that is being posted here. Enjoy your build! :D

94Virago
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 94Virago »

Fresh off of a rare two-days-in-a-row off and I managed to accomplish a great deal. Lots of table and band saw work got my stringers all cut out and congruent. Spent the rest of last night with the broom and shop vac.

This morning before work I set out the plastic and set the stringer pieces out for epoxy.

Slapped on the epoxy with what will turn out to be my LAST overpriced paintbrush. Managed to piece it all together nice and straight. Folded over the plastic, set down a couple of lengths of 2x4 to even out the weight, and applied more pickle buckets from work. Thanks, work!

The next step will be to cut notches in the stringers and stations, then to the dry fit!

Hopefully when I get home tonight I won't find that the cats have pushed the buckets over.
--Wolfe

94Virago
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 94Virago »

This morning, I took down the pickle buckets and checked on the stringers. They look good except for the points, where they didn't quite meet up. Guess I should have put something heavy on those especially.

:help:

Should I take the time to re-lam those or is a 1/8" gap not going to matter?
--Wolfe

94Virago
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 94Virago »

This morning before work, I set up my garage to notch the transom for the stringers. Ideally, I should have just notched one of the layers before laminating everything together. Bygones.

I have the transom clamped to my sawhorses and the router depth set to go through one layer of ply. When I get home tonight, I'll plot the cut and score around it with my pull saw. Then I'll pretty up the notch with a chisel.

Throughout the week, I'll begin assembling the build platform, then finally get to the dry fit.
--Wolfe

Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Marshall Moser »

I'm really looking forward to watching this one come together.

94Virago
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 94Virago »

I'm a little surprised that there aren't more people building this style of boat. I can understand wanting to build a fishing boat. My next build will be a fishing boat.

I guess for me this boat will be art for art's sake.
--Wolfe

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

94Virago wrote:I'm a little surprised that there aren't more people building this style of boat. I can understand wanting to build a fishing boat. My next build will be a fishing boat.

I guess for me this boat will be art for art's sake.
It is a beautiful boat, if I could use it here I would definitely build it 8) I think reason you don't see much RB's build threads is because her plans aren't released for to long of a time now, so it's a fairly new design at Bateau.com

94Virago
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 94Virago »

So, I'm a groundbreaker? Cool! :D
--Wolfe