C17 Center Console

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: C17 Center Console

Post by peter-curacao »

Steven wrote:Very nice work. Love the wood. The plastic tanks give off a lot of fumes. You might want some air vents higher up on the console also.
Rmarsh wrote:Thanks Steven. I am planning on a cover over the tank at the seat top level, just above the side vent holes, to seal it off from the rest of the console. I will post pictures of it. But a vent in the upper part, just in case, is a good idea.
Boat looks great, about the vents, I was told gas fumes go to the lowest point so if that's true you should have lower vents not higher, I think :doh:

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Steven wrote:Very nice work. Love the wood. The plastic tanks give off a lot of fumes. You might want some air vents higher up on the console also.
Rmarsh, that's a very nice looking console. I'm constantly amazed at the how creative we get with consoles.

Steven, don't get where "a lot of fumes" comes from. I know you've had trouble with expansion with the plastic tank on your boat but I'm very familiar with 4 boats with Moeller plastic tanks on them and have seen no problems with odor or any issues regarding that with them. They are more permeable than an aluminum tank but the amount of permeability is negligible and a guy should never smell it. If you are, you gotta have a leak.

Steven

Post by Steven »

No leak. Fumes with a plastic tank is normal. That is why vents to compartment are required unlike for aluminum tanks. maybe fumes is strongly worded. Definitely a gas smell.

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

Every small water production boat I have been in has some sort of fuel fumes when you are near the vents or the tank. When I open my back hatch on my ProCraft, it smells of fuel, and there is not a leak. :doh: I always thought that a little fuel smell was "normal" in any vehicle by the fuel tank. :doh:

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Mine always has a slight fuel smell in the tank area also, it's a plastic tank. It doesn't take much gasoline to smell it.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Cracker Larry wrote:Mine always has a slight fuel smell in the tank area also, it's a plastic tank. It doesn't take much gasoline to smell it.
tobolamr wrote:Every small water production boat I have been in has some sort of fuel fumes when you are near the vents or the tank. When I open my back hatch on my ProCraft, it smells of fuel, and there is not a leak. :doh: I always thought that a little fuel smell was "normal" in any vehicle by the fuel tank. :doh:

This is precisely the point, all fuel tanks at some juncture have some permeability. The connection at the filler hose, fuel line, vent hose, with plastic, some gets through the tank walls. A small amount of odor is normal anywhere near gasoline. It isn't a "lot" and it isn't a problem with plastic marine tanks.

Steven

Post by Steven »

Prarie Dog wrote:A small amount of odor is normal anywhere near gasoline. It isn't a "lot" and it isn't a problem with plastic marine tanks.

Didn't say it was a problem with plastic marine tanks. But it is a fact that they are permeable and do off gas as a result. Precautions are necessary which is the reason for the regs regarding venting. It's a simple matter to protect against with a simple vent.

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh »

Gas tank cover is installed, essentially preventing fumes from reaching the upper part of the console.
Got a switch/fuse panel installed as well as positive and negative busbars.
Ran some wires from the bow light to the switch. I am going to attach the stern light to the same switch terminal.

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh »

Jerry-rigged wrote:Nice work, Love the boat!

Years ago, I was Hot to Go to build a C17 as a CC, but I never got the project off the ground. Glad to see someone is finally build one. It looks great! Any plans on power yet?
Jerry: Thanks!
I'm not positive, but I think it is the first C17 center console, haven't seen any others here.
I have a Yamaha 60 HP 4 stroke for powering her.

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh »

Console wiring is almost done, Gauges, Bilge pump, battery installed. Fuel system, steering and controls all rigged.
I would like to get all of the deck and hatch hardware next and install it, then remove it before I paint the final coats.