OB 19 in Maryland

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: OB 19 in Maryland

Post by Batedunie »

Thanks for the reply Wade...I took some pictures of the plans so you can see exactly what im looking at...It sounds as if you are dead on...The transom cut is 20 3/4" but the height of the clamping boards is cut at 23 1/2" from the keel....

Mike

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Yeah, my transom and clamping boards are all 23 1/2" plus fiberglass, and they should be 20 3/4" I think. Looks like the transom height was fixed, but not the height of the clamping boards. It's a very easy fix - just cut the clamping boards down to match the transom, and everything should be at 20 3/4". I've been told that is the right height for a 20" shaft motor. I ended up leaving mine tall, I got a manual jack plate and a 25" shaft motor.
wade
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Batedunie »

Thanks Wade...That is what I was thinking...just cutting the clamping boards is a best case senario...Thanks for the help

Mike

TRC886
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TRC886 »

wadestep wrote:- just cut the clamping boards down to match the transom, and everything should be at 20 3/4". I've been told that is the right height for a 20" shaft motor.
I recommend NOT cutting the transom height until you own the motor. At least make sure that you measure the length of the particular motor that you plan to buy..."standard" shaft lengths can vary by 2 inches or more 8O

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

wadestep wrote: It's a very easy fix - just cut the clamping boards down to match the transom, and everything should be at 20 3/4". wade
TRC886 wrote:I recommend NOT cutting the transom height until you own the motor. At least make sure that you measure the length of the particular motor that you plan to buy..."standard" shaft lengths can vary by 2 inches or more
TRC has a point here, but I stand by my earlier statement. I'd cut my taller pieces (clamping boards) down to match the shorter piece(transom). I'd do this because:
1) your 'transom piece' is already shorter than the 'clamping boards'. When you glue all 3 layers together, having the clamping boards taller would be of no benefit. Don't just 'add' height to one layer later, it would not be strong enough (IMHO). So, if the 'transom' is already at 20 3/4", then by cutting your clamping baords down to match it now you haven't lost anythign, since you can't build up the transom later anyways. You can scab a lot of things together, and join many things with butt blocks and fiberglass splices, But I'd not do it anywhere near where the weight and force of yoru engine are concerned.
2) All engines that I've ever seen have multiple mounting holes. They are adjustable up or down by a couple of inches at the time of installation without changing the height of the transom + clamping boards. That's how commercially manufactured boats can easily accept different brands of engines.
wade
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

smilinmatt
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by smilinmatt »

The clamping boards just didn't get updated with the transom (it was originally shown at that height as well. One thing I'd recommend, is that when you cut down the clamping boards, only cut out the transom cut (don't just lob off the top 3"). That way you can keep your tow eyes through all three layers and have them high above the water. Also if you install a ladder, the top of the brackets will be mounted through all three layers.

There is no issue with the 20" shaft motor (I also contemplated the 25" shaft and jack plate). I use mine offshore alot, and it is very rare that I get any water into the splashwell.

I've got about 3 years use on my OB-19, so if you have any questions let me know. I not very good at always checking all the different sections of the forum, but eventually I'll be around.

Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Batedunie »

Thanks for the reply smilinmatt...i was thinking about just cutting out the transom cut as well...i dont mind a 20 inch motor so ill just cut the clamping boards and move on...hopefully ill post a some more pics this weekend after get some more accomplished...im working on getting all my frames in place and then my stringers...

Mike

Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Batedunie »

Wow...It has been awhile...I will post some new pics after this weekend...but I have my stringers finished and installed on the frames....I made a run to pick up the last of the wood that I need as well as order more epoxy...The plan for this weekend is to cut my hull panels and tape them together...depending on cure time I will hopefully start stiching in the next couple of days...It feels good to be back at it again...hopefully I wont have anymore breaks and keep the momentum going...

Mike

Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Batedunie »

I have been making a lot of progress but the cold weather and slow hardener have been dragging the smallest job on and on....I have just about finished putting my hull panels together and started to put them up on the frame....Here is side panel up...
Here are the side and bottom panels up...please disregard the gaps and wavyness...the bottom panel is not positioned the correct way, I just had to get something up to see what this thing looks like...I am beyond thrilled...I was starting to think this was never going to happen...It kind of looks like a boat...!
And here is where the panels come together at the bow...

I am still waiting on the other bottom panel to cure and then i will get things stitched up...hopefully sometime this week...

Mike

JayJayMuller
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JayJayMuller »

Hi Mike,

Nice to see your boat coming together.
I have also just started my OB 19 build "JJ's OB 19 in SA". I will follow your build and perhaps we can share tips and experience with each other.

Are you building the standard boat or are you doing some modifications?

JJ.