OB 19 in Maryland

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
smilinmatt
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: OB 19 in Maryland

Post by smilinmatt »

Other than fairing, you're at the worst part. Stitching on the bottom panel, you'll be cursing and swearing that the measurements are wrong. After hours of frustration at tightening, loosening, adding and removing stitches, it will drop into place and fit perfect. Have fun! :D

Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Batedunie »

Hi JJ,

Thanks for the reply. I have already been following your build. It is nice to know that you might be going through similar experiences at roughly the same time. My boat will follow the plans pretty closely and be a center console. I see you are looking to change a few things. I cant wait to see both boats come together.
What are you planning on for launch date? Nothing like comitting to a date to motivate you huh?

Mike

JayJayMuller
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JayJayMuller »

Hi Mike,

My wife is a very structured person, she want's me to work out a schedule on how many hours per week I will be spending on the build. I haven't started the schedule yet (oops :) ), but I think once I have done this including the budget I will have a more realistic idea on completion date.

For now I'm thinking before next winter, which is about May next year in South Africa.

Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Batedunie »

I got some more work done this weekend...It doesn't look like much, and I dont think I am alone in saying this, but stitching is a pain in the butt...
Front view
Close-up
Side view

Everything lined up pretty well in the end...it looks like their might be a few big gaps here and there...you can see what I mean in the close-up picture...I might be able to get that a little closer or use a thicker wood putty fillet...I am going to start tacking everything together this week...I am really excited because it is actually started to look like a boat...albiet upside down but its a start...

Mike

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Looks great and remember - "Gaps r Gud"

This is time you want to start checking with a straight edge to make sure -

1. The panels are resting on the frames
2. Port/Starboard symmetry ( if there are gaps, that they're the same on both sides)
3. No stitch induced warps on the aft 30% of the hull (the flat, planing surface

It will amaze you how much difference an 1/8" of stitch can make to the position of whole panel. I also found that letting the stitched hull rest for a few days allowed the plywood to relax as it adapted to the curves.

Good luck and have fun!
Image OB17 Splashed June 2007

Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Batedunie »

Well it has been a few months since my last post, but that does not mean I haven't been building...I would like to be further along but progress is progress...
Seams were tabbed and the cable ties were taken out
Full view before fiberglassing
The boat was then glassed...I couldn't find the time to do everything wet on wet so I taped the seams, allowed them to cure, feathered the edges, then glassed the whole panels...Everything went really well for my first full layup...
After the glassing I filled the weave with epoxy and west system fillers...I then spent the majority of the summer fairing the hull...I also added the sheer line stiffener, strakes, and a spray rail...Here are some action shots of me sharpening the chine edge...
I then worked on getting the bottom ready for primer...
Overall I was very pleased with the fairing job which showed up very well when I finally got primer on the hull...After the first coat of System Three High Build primer I touched up the bottom with more fairing compound and then proceeded to put on an additional 2 coats of primer...It was then ready for some top coat...
I used Interlux Perfection Snow White in a roll and tip fashion...This paint is incredible...It went on very easy and set up very well...I was not very happy with the amount of dust that settled on the surface but for the conditions of the garage I was overall very happy...The directions for the paint suggest not thinning when it is on the cooler side...I was keeping the garage heated to about 65-70 degrees so I did not thin the first two coats...the paint did not seemed to flow out that well as I was seeing a lot of brush strokes, so for the third and final coat I thinned it about five percent...It made all the difference in the world...I was all set to continue on and prime and paint the sides when much to my surprise about 60 people showed up at my house talking about flipping the boat...my wonderful wife planned a surprise 30th birthday party/ boat flipping party...
Needless to say we had plenty of people...we had 19 people on the boat so we just picked the boat up flipped it over in the air and set it back down...It still ended up being more dramatic than that but overall it went off without a hitch...
This is how the boat currently sits back in its home...I want to thank everybody who helped flip the boat!

Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Steven »

Looking good!!! Great boat.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Very very nice, looking good! 8)

Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Batedunie »

Thanks guys...My Dad came up on Saturday and we managed to get the seams taped...It ended up being a pretty big job! It was a lot easier working on this boat upside down!

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Nice work. I agree that fiberglassing the inside was a MUCH bigger job than the outside. Just take it little bit by little bit.

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one