OB 19 in Maryland

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: OB 19 in Maryland

Post by Batedunie »

It has been way to long since a post by me...over a year! But that does not mean I have not been working on the boat. I will post as many pictures as I can find and hopefully they are in order.

I got the bottom fiberglassed and then I taped in the stringers and frames and started adding cleats

Another shot but with all of the cleats added

This is where I skip a few pictures but I got the sole glued down...I foamed in the outer cavities and ran 3 chase tubes...2 big pipes to the back and a smaller pipe over to the side as you can see

I got the front deck frame installed and started to add the cleats and support structure for the top

This is a mock-up of the deck in place
Another view

Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Batedunie »

One question that I posted in the power boats section was about covering all the wood with fiberglass...I got a lot of good responses but if anybody here wants to chime in I would appreciate it. One area in particular is inside the front deck area posted below. The sides are glassed, the bottom is glassed but the frame in the fore ground of the picture is only taped on the inside. So there is about a 8 inch wide section going side to side on the vertical face that is unglassed is this a big deal? I have some 6 oz cloth that I can put on there but just wanted some insight.

Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Batedunie »

Another question I had was in reference to a console that I picked up for the boat. I was going to custom build a console out of ply and glass, but I found this on craigslist pretty cheap and jumped on it. I was told its out of an old 23' mako.

Pretty sweet! There are a few problems.

1. Its too big(in my opinion). Its 40 inches wide. So I am planning on cutting a strip out of the middle and glassing it back together about 30ish inches wide ...Thoughts?

2. Its got a fish box/livewell/storage locker in the front, which is where I was planning on putting my fuel tank. So my thoughts are to cut that out of there to make room for my tank

3. The front seat is too short for my tank to fit underneath, so I need to raise it up about 4-6 inches.

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

No big deal, if I remember correctly my bulkhead is the same and I didn't glass the rest, it's holding up fine not much abrasion at that location.

Boat looks great

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Batedunie wrote: So I am planning on cutting a strip out of the middle and glassing it back together about 30ish inches wide ...Thoughts?
That's also how I would do it, I think

Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Batedunie »

Thanks Peter...I appreciate the feedback, It's not a huge deal to glass I'm just not sure if I need the extra protection there.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Batedunie wrote:Thanks Peter...I appreciate the feedback, It's not a huge deal to glass I'm just not sure if I need the extra protection there.
I mostly troll so most action is aft, if you do a lot of jigging or other activities at the bow I would put some glass on it, but again it's not a necessity

Steven

Post by Steven »

Glass it. It's what I did on my OB19. It's very little material and work for peace of mind. I tried to make it as solid and maintenance free as possible.

As for the console, definitely do like you suggest. I made my console 30" in the front and it tapers to 31" in the back. Measured at the deck. It tapers in on the sides so a little narrower at the top. Here's a pic to show the clearance. I didn't not want to be cramped moving fore and aft. The side decks are 8" wide.

Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Batedunie »

Thanks Steven...that picture is a good frame of reference.

Batedunie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Batedunie »

New Pictures...Not much but I did get a little work finished over the weekend

Anchor well cleats installed and a fill the weave fairing coat slathered on.

Anchor well floor cut out.

I have the floor of the anchor well sloping forward and will installed a drain near the bow with a plug on the inside and a clamshell cover on the outside...does this sound correct?