FS14 OZ

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
boat_AUS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS14 OZ

Post by boat_AUS »

Hello just a few new photos, getting excited about finishing! Image

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

Looks pretty schmick!

Congratulations on your fine work.

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat »

Looks good!

So I guess it's better to prime and paint the outside before flipping it? I've been wondering if that was the case. I guess that really cuts down on how many times you flip it. I'm still a long way from that point. :D

boat_AUS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boat_AUS »

Cheers, the paint is by no means a show room finish, but i could spend a lot more time and money trying to get it perfect. I decided that it was better to progress with the build and test the paint in the real world to see how it holds up with use, sun and salt.

I choose to paint the outside first because it is the first boat i have built and i wanted to give the whole process of fairing and painting a go, the paint is a lot tougher than the fairing compound. Also now that it is the right way up it can stay the right way up.

I spent today sanding and profiling the old epoxy tack fillets and cut the fibreglass cloth to length. Im going to epoxy coat the inside then immediately make the fillets and the glass over the fillets, this will be very shortly followed by the glass sheath. Hopefully all the layers will chemically bond and make a nice strong unit.

boat_AUS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boat_AUS »

i have put a dead line of floating by easter in time for my parents coming to visit, so i have been really powerin into the build now.

i have all the stringers in and fibreglassing done.Image

you can see here the bow deck, the foam esky that will be built in (but removable for cleaning x2) and all the battens to support the seating and the decks.Image

yo can clearly see the chase tubes for steering, electronics and fuel that will we covered up by a decking. this photo is inbetween the front and back seats, im installing decking on the two outside sections but leaving the middle piece open. may change in the future but for now that is the plan.

i have started putting in floatation foam around the gunwale and have cut out som plywood to cap it off, will post some photos of it shortly. im not using any pour in place foam but will be using lots of sheet, im also trying to get as much foam as high up as possible to achieve level flotation.

i have cut out hatches in the bow x1, and in the rear seat x3 using the router. i cut a template square taking into account the offset from the edge of the router to the centre of the bit so i could just run the router around the edge, making sure to set the depth of cut just short of all the way through so that the template doesnt move. using a 2mm bit im going to use the cut out middle piece as the hatch and im pretty happy with the results, saving a bit of wasted ply. Image

my motor arrived today just have to pick it up from the shop, 18hp tohastu twostroke, electric start, forward controls. also my order of all the gear for fit out should arrive anyday now. will aim to get the bare necesities in place to register the boat and then take more time to get the finish done the best i can.

a question for the pros, fibreglass isnt on the plans for the seats, im going to put a layer on the decks and near the anchor for durability, it is a good idea to cover the seats too?

also for the peopl following my build, i havent given up on the steer by wire, but postponed it and will get the boat going with conventional single cable steering and engine controls, then at a less stressful time work on a reliable and robust electronic control system.

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer »

boat_AUS wrote:so i have been really powerin into the build now
You certainly are man, nice work!! :D

Where abouts are you in WA? I spent the first 26 years of my life in the hills of Perth, I'm in Darwin now.

Keep it up, going great guns.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

boat_AUS wrote: i have cut out hatches in the bow x1, and in the rear seat x3 using the router. i cut a template square taking into account the offset from the edge of the router to the centre of the bit so i could just run the router around the edge, making sure to set the depth of cut just short of all the way through so that the template doesnt move. using a 2mm bit im going to use the cut out middle piece as the hatch and im pretty happy with the results, saving a bit of wasted ply. Image
Very nice work. 8)
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

boat_AUS wrote: i have cut out hatches in the bow x1, and in the rear seat x3 using the router. i cut a template square taking into account the offset from the edge of the router to the centre of the bit so i could just run the router around the edge, making sure to set the depth of cut just short of all the way through so that the template doesnt move. using a 2mm bit im going to use the cut out middle piece as the hatch and im pretty happy with the results, saving a bit of wasted ply. Image
Very nice work. 8)
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

im pretty happy with the results,
So am I!

I gotta give that a try. :D

boat_AUS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boat_AUS »

I have started the fit out. Pick up a stupid amount of stuff to fit in, wish I had a bigger shed.
Motor is in place temporarily to get controls cables and steering in place and routed Image you can also see the helm/cockpit area being fitted up. Need to get the engine controls mounted, but need to have the gunwales on to make sure of clearance. Image

On a different note, the trailer I built for the boat passed inspection and is now registered