Page 1 of 1

OB19 in Ireland

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:04 pm
by neilkelly
Hello to the Boat building world.
I have just started last July and have finally logged on to this forum. I will add some photos of my progress soon and it has been enjoyable so far. It was always something i wanted to try and now here I am.
Good luck to all who are building or have built and stay safe out there on the water.

Good Luck
NK

Re: OB19 in Ireland

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:23 pm
by Cracker Larry
Welcome and thanks :!: We would really like to see some pictures.

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:35 pm
by cottontop
Like Cracker, welcome to this site and the world of boatbuilding. We are all looking forward to your pictures. John

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:22 pm
by Larry B
Welcome to the site, looking forward to pictures of your build.

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:30 pm
by neilkelly
Thanks guys i had an interesting trip to Orlando last week The weather was fantastic compared to Ireland it is cold here so i am building a plastic enclosure for the fibreglassing process That is turning out Ok and is necessary I am just applying the bi axial tape to the panels and then i am ready for laying of the main mat i will add the photos as well when complete
I have a question: have you any tips on how to shape a strake near the bow end. My plan is to run the strakes all the way from transom to bow but am still am amateur carpenter. Any tips or advice would be great. I was thinking of narrowing the strake from about three feet from the bow end and finish to a point or rounded finish. :help: I will use a one inch wood section cut along the diagonal for the strake profile.
Thanks
Take care all
NK

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:47 pm
by Heloman78
Where in Ireland? I've been working in Belfast for the last six weeks, I'd love to check out you're build if you're nearby, might stop me from drinking too much Guinness :help: .

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:33 pm
by Walkers Run
neilkelly wrote:have you any tips on how to shape a strake near the bow end. My plan is to run the strakes all the way from transom to bow but am still am amateur carpenter. Any tips or advice would be great. I was thinking of narrowing the strake from about three feet from the bow end and finish to a point or rounded finish. :help: I will use a one inch wood section cut along the diagonal for the strake profile.
NK
I spent a lot of time on that issue. I wound up making several different profiles out of scrap wood stuck them in place and decided on what I liked.

This is what I settled on

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:55 pm
by neilkelly
Thanks for that. It looks really good. I finally get to add pictures of my progress. More to follow.
Keep safe out there.
Neilhttps://www.dropbox.com/lightbox/home/P ... ING%20OB19

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:46 pm
by peter-curacao
Little late but from me also welcome! 8) hope to see pics, here are some more idea's foe you strake's and a cheap home made tool to mark them :wink:

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:05 am
by neilkelly
That is a very good idea and definitely something to try. It was certainly a challenge to make the strakes turn out as you did on the hull. They look well finished and will do a good job. I am going to attach new photos of my progress so far to date.
Question,
Is it ok if you apply two layers of 300g fabric on the hull at the same time or is it better to apply one first and wait until curing ceases before applying the second?
I will be applying the first layer in a few weeks

Thanks again and stay safe on the water

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:47 am
by wadestep
Are you going to apply 2 layers of 300 gram biax fabric? That would be a lot, and maybe more weight than is worth it. I applied 1 extra layer of 12 oz tape to the forward half of the keel for grounding/impact, and then 12-oz (=300 gram) biax to the entire hull, but only 1 layer. On top of that is epoxy with graphite. IMHO, 2 layers of the thick cloth is a lot.

If you are going to do 2 layers, wet-on-wet is fine, and even better. However, you'd need a team of 4 people to be able to do the second layer before the first layer gets too tacky. If layer 1 is tacky, don't put on the second, you'll get a bunch of air tiny air pockets! However, if you are just talking about the tape seams, definatly try to get that done wet-on-wet with the biax fabric - it will same lots of sanding.
wade

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:28 pm
by neilkelly
Wade
Thanks for the reply and the advice. I already have half the hull covered with 300g and it was a race to complete it. I done it by myself and it was hard work. I asked my brother to help but all he done was drank coffee and supervised from a distance. I will finish this first layer and will post the photos. I have tried a sample of the peel ply from the company that supplies me with the epoxy resin and it really gives a nice smooth finish. I have 600g biax tape (150mm) and will re-apply on the keel. Your idea for extra impact strength makes sense.
I am away with work at the moment but will be back in Ireland in early July and I miss the boat a lot. I will complete and get the photos up on line.

As the old saying goes "Rome was not built in a day"

Good luck and stay safe on the water.
Neil

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:17 pm
by neilkelly
I can't believe its over a year since last on the site. Been busy with work and been gone for almost 8 months but I am back with family and the boat building. Please see attached photos of progress from the beginning.
Started with the jig and bulkheads. That was the easy part.
The construction of the jig was fun and a bit of head scratching. The real headache was the s&g but it took shape eventually.
This phase was slow but I got there. The cold weather slowed down progress a bit but got over that.
After all stages and drilling, adding and removing cable ties etc, the finish was pretty ok.
I am currently working on strakes and spray rails. This is tricky work but very enjoyable. I am building the trailer as well from scratch so works are in parallel. Take care all and I will add more photos when the strakes etc are complete.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:39 pm
by neilkelly
Been working away since the last post. After all the sanding and prep, I was happy to apply the first layers of primer. I used the international inter protect primer. It's tough stuff and very smelly especially after a day or so. The weather in Ireland is cracking right now and good for this work. Temp was 30 Celsius today which is unusual for this side of the Atlantic. Here are the pics:
http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Nkell ... 8.jpg.html

Image[/URL]ImageImageImage

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:46 pm
by neilkelly
Had a go at the centre console. It was a mix of designs off the internet and a few inputs from myself.
ImageImageImage

That's it for now. Have a good weekend. I'm on holidays for the next week. Talk soon.

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:26 am
by Walkers Run
Very nice. I really like your console.

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:55 pm
by jorgepease
Nide design on the console!!

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:08 pm
by neilkelly
Plenty of work with this console and will be good to get the same finish as the hull. I plan to build a t top around it. My plan is to have the Image of the boat with t top but in ireland, it's purpose will be to keep the rain off instead of the sun.

I have been looking at paints a lot and my next coat on the hull is the international brand undercoat! It is sandable so that will keep me busy?

I don't know if you heard but Garth brooks was due to play for five nights in Ireland this weekend but was not too be. What a pity. 400,000 people bought tickets.

Talk soon

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:43 am
by ducknbucklures
hows the OB19 coming along? I lie the design of your console.

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:51 am
by neilkelly
Hello all,
I have been away from the OB19 for quiet some time with work and other things. Since my last posting I have worked hard on the hull and have applied all coatings including primer, undercoat and 3 layers of International Perfection Top coat (Platinum colour).
I must say it looks good and I hope to turn it this weekend and I will post photos asap.
It is a great stage to be at on this project and hopefully the inside won't take as long.

I have named the boat 'Julieanne' after my wife who has been very patient to say the least.

I got a bowguard made by a local company, laser cut from 316 mirror finished stainless steel and looks great when placed at the bow.

With this boat, I could never believe that one person could sand so much and make such a mess. I ended up sanding at 400 grit which has left is super smooth.

I will post photos following the 'Big Flip'.

Best Regards to all boat builders.

Neil

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:58 am
by Eric1
I'm looking forward to your pictures Neil! :D

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:11 pm
by neilkelly
Here are a couple of pics before the turning of the hull tomorrow. I will send more when on the trailer.

I made the trailer to suit the hull and the Irish whiskey will be ready for my team who will help.

Regards,
Neil
20170721_204449_resized.jpg
20170721_204811_resized.jpg

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:37 pm
by jacquesmm
Impressive job: bravo.

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:03 pm
by neilkelly
I got the boat turned today and its a great milestone reached at last :D . It was a good effort by all to manoeuvre the hull into place. See attached some images of its resting place for now.
Trying to turn the hull was the difficult part but many hands make light work.

I look forward to building the inside and I will keep posting progress.

Now that the hull is on the trailer, its so worth the effort and is really looking like a boat. It is amazing to see so much volume within the hull but that will not be long filling up.

The whiskey was very good by the way and it finished the job nicely. Some of the guys helping today had to leave quickly as U2 are playing the Joshua Tree concert in Dublin tonight.

I put the stringers inside just to see how they fitted after being made initially and all seems OK.

Best Regards to all builders.

Neil
20170722_155758_resized.jpg
20170722_155646_resized.jpg
20170722_153950_resized.jpg
20170722_155732_resized.jpg

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:09 pm
by pee wee
You've done a beautiful job so far, congratulations!

That trailer is unusual to my eye, but it looks like it's going to work just fine.

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:47 pm
by neilkelly
Thanks Hank. The trailer has a lot of work yet and what you see is mainly temporary especially at the bow end. There will be proper stops for the bow guard and i will add vertical stabilisers as well for loading the boat. I bought submersible LED lights for the rear and they have yet to be wired but that should be straightforward.

The slides have water proof carpet and have worked a treat today. The boat is sitting perfectly but I have not stood inside yet. i will wait until I have all my matting and resin later next week.

I have to clean all the cobwebs out first.

Regards,
Neil

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:24 pm
by Jondavis
Anymore progress?!?!?