OD18 Gunnels

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OD18 Gunnels

Post by Larry B »

I took what Cracker Larry had done and then modified it to liking. I just did it a bit different and it saved me from making patterns :D I put my inwales on first, then laid the tops on and screwed them in place, (can't remember exactly how I secured them) but screws will work and be out of the way. Then take a flush router bit and trim the tops, they are perfect and you didn't have to make a pattern.
Like I said, just another way to do it :D It also saved me from notching the brace's as you can just glue the inwales to the braces, I also used a small piece of biax to secure them better.
Larry B
Completed: FL14, OD18

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Cracker and Larry does the jackplate holes automatically line up with the motor holes I already have drilled in my transom?
Yes, exact match, don't change a thing.
Cracker did you order the mechanical plate from Shine?
Of course :D I get a discount :D It's the convertible 4 in 1 plate with different wedge and setback options. The last one on this page I think. I also think it was worth installing, plus it looks cool :lol:

http://www.bobsmachine.com/Products/jac ... manual.cfm

Merry Christmas to you and yours, John and be safe on the roads . If you pass near Savannah, stop in and see us :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Then take a flush router bit and trim the tops, they are perfect and you didn't have to make a pattern.
I cut the decks a little big from the patterns, then used a flush cut bit to make them perfect. The patterns helped me the most for nesting and getting everything onto 1 sheet of plywood.
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Cracker Larry wrote:
Then take a flush router bit and trim the tops, they are perfect and you didn't have to make a pattern.
I cut the decks a little big from the patterns, then used a flush cut bit to make them perfect. The patterns helped me the most for nesting and getting everything onto 1 sheet of plywood.
I think I used scraps :doh:
The Pattern would be great for nesting, :D

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

The decks do fill up a sheet of plywood pretty tight.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

John, just want to edit my post. I also put a support cleat where Cracker Larry did behind the inwale, I copied that from him, only difference is I put my inwale on first then the top.
I just checked because I wanted to make sure.

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cottontop »

Cracker, Thanks for the invitation. We live in Ocala and will be traveling up I-75. I do want to try and get up to see you sometime this Summer or Fall. I'd love to see your place and maybe work in a little fishing. What timeof year do ya'll shrimp? There is another reason for my questions. I'm going to try to retire in 2 years. I will have worked for the power company for 42 years in January 2015. Many changes going and feel it will be a prime time to leave. A lot depends on the economy. Have decided that to retire early I may not get to build the bigger boat(OB 19 or PH 22). I am going to try to get everything in place financially so I can leave. The OD 18 I have is in great shape and plenty big enough to carry my grandsons in. The 6 year old alredy loves to fish and the other two are 2 and a half and both like being on the boat. My daughter is going to give us a 3rd grandson in early April. I want as much time with them as I can possibly have, while they still like being with PaPa and NaNa. Grandfather started me out fishing when I was 6. Have never stopped fishing and being on and near the water. Want to instill in them the same love. John

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

If I could only have 1 boat, the OD18 would be at the top of the list for a boat that can do it all. Flats fishing or trolling in the Gulf Stream, it's at home either place. Safe, stable and economical, it's a perfect little boat :D

Our best shrimping is usually mid July until mid November, give or take a few weeks, depending on water temps and rain. Come any time you can, you are always welcome here.

If we don't pass down what we've learned in 50 years on the water, no one else will know it either. It used to be common knowledge when we were growing up, but not so much anymore. TV and video games have taken over.