OD16 Paint pics

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
JimW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JimW »

Not bad for and angry midget.

Jim
Jim Wright
CC, D15, SC16, C19

Evildwarf

Post by Evildwarf »

JimW wrote:Not bad for and angry midget.

Jim
I know you're right! Coming from you I can appreciate it. I saw your boat at Sabastian! Oh the btw, Is that a homemade boat? :lol:

DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by DrBones »

OK - I'm going to quit building. My boat is never going to look like that! OMG - I'm going green with envy. Forgetit...I'm making a planter out of my hull!

TimeWalker
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TimeWalker »

lol bones wait till you find the fairing and primer especially the primer my boat is as smooth as a babies buttox but it looks like caca

CHarris
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CHarris »

Impressive ... most impressive.

Chris

DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by DrBones »

Forget it! I'm not even going to loose sleep about making anything on the interior smooth! I'm painting it w/Benjamin Moore Industrial Enamel paint (as my console) and I'm sure it'll look just dandy enough for fishing.

The last few weeks I've looked at 'commercial' recreational boats..and I haven't seen one where you can say that whoever made them spent any time at all making things on the interior surface 'smooth'.

I've experimented with the console as to getting things smooth. It looks smooth alright - it passes the 8' test...but up close you can definetly see the uneven fairing job I did.

Considering that...I don't even know if I'll have the patience to do a 'picture perfect' job on my hull ...heheheh ;) I'm going to try to paint thickened epoxy with some microballoon/silica mix into the 4oz FG glass weave using a foam roller. Do maybe two coats of that and then sand using a 400 grit or so paper. I'll then paint it with Benjamin Moore enamel paint. I've got an enclosed big garage and a compressor w/a gun set up to spray paint. I'll put two or three coats of that on..and then let dry. End of story. Anything that looks uneven...I'm leaving that for the fish to worry about. :P

..but then again... I don't know if a planter needs to be done with so much diligence. The flowerbed will cover up any paint job anyways. ;)

Brent
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Brent »

Great pics,

About the swing post, we have Boston whalers at camp that have a post that will lock into the forward position. I like that. We have a Carolina Skiff that does not lock, I HATE that.

I plan to get a swing post that locks into position. It doesn't seem to get in the way fishing but (I am afraid to admit this) fishing is not a priority for me.

Enjoy your work, Brent

Evildwarf

Post by Evildwarf »

DrBones wrote:Forget it! I'm not even going to loose sleep about making anything on the interior smooth!

I've experimented with the console as to getting things smooth. It looks smooth alright - it passes the 8' test...but up close you can definetly see the uneven fairing job I did.

Considering that...I don't even know if I'll have the patience to do a 'picture perfect' job on my hull ...heheheh ;)
]but then again... I don't know if a planter needs to be done with so much diligence. The flowerbed will cover up any paint job anyways. ;)
[/quote]

Doc you may be surprised by this and hang on to your seat,my interior is not by any means faired,perfect, or even close to what you think. You can see the tape lines,there pit holes, there are rough edges in the corners.Chill man! :lol: It's is exactly the way it is going to stay except for finish painting.If people have dispairing remarks about my work I come back with, "Cool, let me see some pics of the boat you have built lately". Then of course I tell them to P*ss OFF! I'm building this thing for ME.Not my wife, not my children and damn sure not my niegbors.

You've done well! Build on Dude, LIFE IS GOOD, LETS LIVE IT 8)

nordmann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nordmann »

Evildwarf wrote:
nordmann wrote:Very nice, and she did inspire me to do some boatwork again... :)
SHE who and why???

SHE = your boat... :)
building gv17, D4

Evildwarf

Post by Evildwarf »

nordmann wrote:
Evildwarf wrote:
nordmann wrote:Very nice, and she did inspire me to do some boatwork again... :)
SHE who and why???

SHE = your boat... :)
Cool! 8)