BarraMan's Mangusta 21 barraboat in Townsville, AUS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: BarraMan's Mangusta 21 barraboat in Townsville, AUS

Post by jonnymac »

thanks Lee! what a beautiful boat and that performance says it all!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I agree with the above, beautiful boat BarraMan!!! Jeff

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

I had a play with my drone the other day!

https://youtu.be/PWNSZHoBRpc

https://youtu.be/4Y0wavscijY

I wanted Darcy (the drone) to track alongside the boat, but for some reason it wouldn't do.
Last edited by BarraMan on Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Nice. How long have you had shade?
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

glossieblack wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:28 am Nice. How long have you had shade?
Since Xmas, Michael. The last time fishing in 45oC made me surrender! :help:

You would have recognised the island! :D

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

Looks like a beautiful day on the water.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

How fast are you going in the second pic? Looks like you're up and going.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

TomW1 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:28 am How fast are you going in the second pic? Looks like you're up and going.
Tom
Only about 20 kts Tom - got to give the drone a chance to keep up! :lol:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Did it just give up on the chase or did you have it programmed to hover at a point?

Can’t wait to see some pics of fish. Need someone to glance out my current lack of dis getting.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Did it just give up on the chase or did you have it programmed to hover at a point?
Its taking me a while to sort out the idiosyncrasies of the drone! :doh: Its max.distance to fly from home base was set to 1 km - home base being the position of the front casting deck at the time of take-off!
So it followed the boat for 1 km, then stopped and hovered :help: - I had to go back for it! 8O
Just when I think I have the drone pretty well sorted, it does something unexpected - or won't do something that I think it should, like fly parallel to the target that its locked onto.
Can’t wait to see some pics of fish.
You'll be waiting a while to see some from me! 8O It was a bad day for fishing - very hot and quite windy. I found barra easily enough but they weren't interested in any of my lures even though they were feeding around the boat. I try to match my lure to what they are feeding on but it was what we call 'jelly prawns' (maybe tiny shrimp to you!), I had nothing to match that.

Was quite a difficult day for me. I lost a wheel off the boat trailer enroute to my fishing destination. I saw it depart in the rear view mirror. All five studs on the hub had sheared off! I would have said that I have never seen that before - but I have. Last year I stopped to help someone who had the same thing happen to his camper trailer. He blamed the alloy wheels which he said allowed the wheel nuts to loosen. I don't know! I checked them before leaving home - maybe I missed that wheel. We have had some issues with malicious tampering with wheel nuts in the past. I have towed that boat trailer more than 30,000 miles without issues like that!

Fortunately I carry two spare hubs with bearings, and two spare wheels - so I was able to do a roadside repair. I thought it interesting that only one person stopped to see if I needed help. I always stop to see if people are OK!
Last edited by BarraMan on Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.